Are we still alive here?

This is the welcome and goodbye section for the community. New members should introduce themselves here, read the rules and get free cookies!

Moderator: Developers

Josiah
Acid Blob (New member)
Acid Blob (New member)

Are we still alive here?

Post by Josiah »

hey all, long time ego fan/player here, just wondering if this is still going, or if it's fallen prey to the dark ones.....
Shade
Potion Mimic (Senior Member)

Re: Are we still alive here?

Post by Shade »

Hi there.

Well, both, kind of. There's a few of us who are still here, but development on Egoboo has been nonexistent for about a year now. I'll leave the details to someone else.
Last edited by Shade on Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
penguinflyer5234
Sheep (Developer)
Sheep (Developer)

Post by penguinflyer5234 »

Egoboo development has stopped, the last SVN revision was 9 months ago, then 14 months ago.
There was a Wii port, but sadly that has stopped too.
I'd work on it, but the code is a mess of C that's being slowly transformed into C++ code with lots and lots of macros. :\

The current release is 2.8.1, and the unstable version is 2.9.0 beta1.

(nonexistent is the correct word)
Shade

Post by Shade »

penguinflyer5234 wrote:(nonexistent is the correct word)
I totally wrote that, what are you talking about
*cough, cough*

Well, in any case... If the current code is too much of a mess to do anything with it, couldn't we pick up an earlier version instead and retry from there?
To be quite honest, I didn't really like the direction development has been going in anyway, with weird and uncalled for changes to the physics that broke much more than they could ever possibly have fixed being one of the greatest annoyances to me.
Cimeries
Lumberjack (Developer)
Lumberjack (Developer)

Post by Cimeries »

Shade wrote:...couldn't we pick up an earlier version instead and retry from there?
I suppose by "we" you mean PF5, because the rest of us don't know any C or C++ as far as I'm aware... so we would be pretty much limited to only making content with a buggy, frustrating mapping tool and no one to ask for scripting help etc.

To answer your question Josiah, yes, it seems like the project has fallen prey to the dark ones, what with both of our programmers (and project heads) are apparently missing or busy with life issues.
The only thing going on in the forum right now are the forum RPGs and the off topic section, and occasionally someone hopping in to ask questions about the state of the game or looking for help.
:wink:
Shade

Post by Shade »

Cimeries wrote:I suppose by "we" you mean PF5, because the rest of us don't know any C or C++ as far as I'm aware... so we would be pretty much limited to only making content with a buggy, frustrating mapping tool and no one to ask for scripting help etc.
I guess so, but isn't one person to work on the code better than none at all?
I've done a module before (that randomly named cave with tons of bandits and mercenaries in it, remember?) and have some experience with the scripts Egoboo uses, so that wouldn't (shouldn't...) be the issue. The only reason I ever stopped making stuff for Egoboo in the first place is because it randomly stopped working after a major change, which has never been properly adressed.
The only thing I can't deal with (aside from the game's internal code) is models (and GFX, I guess), which shouldn't be a problem as long as I'm not trying to create totally new items or enemies.

EDIT: In fact, aside from fixing a few annoying bugs and adding a global object system, is there even a reason to work on the code at all? I've always had the impression that Egoboo's engine already is flexible enough to do quite a lot of things with just modules and .obj-files.
Josiah
Acid Blob (New member)
Acid Blob (New member)

Post by Josiah »

eh, well, good to know there are still a few people out there who still enjoy the game...
penguinflyer5234
Sheep (Developer)
Sheep (Developer)

Shade wrote:EDIT: In fact, aside from fixing a few annoying bugs and adding a global object system, is there even a reason to work on the code at all? I've always had the impression that Egoboo's engine already is flexible enough to do quite a lot of things with just modules and .obj-files.
True, but the story's already finished. All that's left is bugfixing, possibly fun modules, and maaaaaybe networking.
Shade

Post by Shade »

Yeah, the story's finished - but as it is right now, most of the game feels extremely unfinished, there are a bunch of design decisions I don't agree with (you unlock the palaces with the sporks in them one after another, if I recall correctly? Why not allow access to all of them at once? The different classes have different strengths and weaknesses, making them better-suited to certain palaces than to others. A lot of classes struggle with the Sand Palace, for instance, which currently comes first) or that feel pointless (runes), and there's the fact that the latest versions all just plain don't work in the first place.

In fact, I've been thinking about picking up something like 2.6.8 with only the global object system added to it and start some kind of "back to the roots" project - rebalancing the game, axing what I deem pointless (runes and the paladin class, for instance) and basically making a new storyline with new modules, without the sporks... But I dunno.
penguinflyer5234
Sheep (Developer)
Sheep (Developer)

You are free to do that, and honestly, that's probably Egoboo's future. What happened to Egoboo is basically what happened to Zippy Egoboo: it got too complex.
Shade

Post by Shade »

Then again, I wonder if it's worth it to try and do that... I know I cannot do it all by myself (the most obvious issue being that I have no clue whatsoever how to add the global object system to 2.6.8 ), I need to figure out the exact mechanics (for instance, how much damage exactly does STR add to attacks) and I have to start basically from scratch.

I'll try playing it some and then decide whether I should get serious about it, I guess.
penguinflyer5234
Sheep (Developer)
Sheep (Developer)

It looks like in 2.6.8 extra strength damage is calculated by:

character's strength * weapon's strength dampen

Spear does 2-5; its dampen is 0.05, so if a character had 20 strength, he can do 1 extra damage.
Shade

Post by Shade »

Ah, right, I remember something like that. Maybe it'll all come back to me just by looking at the files.

EDIT: Sorry, I'll stop here. If I decide to get serious about it, I'll make a new thread.
Zefz
Squirrel Knight (Administrator)
Squirrel Knight (Administrator)

Post by Zefz »

I'd work on it, but the code is a mess of C that's being slowly transformed into C++ code with lots and lots of macros. :\
Birdsey might be working on modernizing the code. 90% of all bugs in the SVN were memory related, something related to the old technology Egoboo uses.