Hello egoboo

This is the welcome and goodbye section for the community. New members should introduce themselves here, read the rules and get free cookies!

Moderator: Developers

octagon
Darkshine Knight (Extremist fanatic)
Darkshine Knight (Extremist fanatic)

Re: Hello egoboo

Post by octagon »

When reading this topic, I suddenly got the "Wunnups Cup" pun.
Soulfu was always a bit too hardcore for me, somehow. My greatest success was beating that poison rat... I only played it for a very short time four years ago, when I sucked at video games in general and the friend with whom I played didn't take it seriously, and then I played it again shortly about a year ago, then quit due to too much frustration and the the savegame patch being bugged, leading to even more frustration.
AgentX
Acid Blob (New member)
Acid Blob (New member)

Post by AgentX »

I think of it as a badge of suicide.
Shade
Potion Mimic (Senior Member)

Post by Shade »

Totally.
I mean, none of the badges' effects are paticularly pleasant, but the courage one is completely ridiculous.

Dilligence? Halves XP gain, but easy to get. It does make things more complicated if you get it early on (where it's actually reasonably easy to get, unlike later in the game where it's basically impossible to get to an altar without passing at least one room that has containers you can only reach with a double jump), but considering the level cap, it pretty much doesn't matter in the long run.

Compassion? No more helpers. Considering the fact that helpers aren't particularly helpful to begin with, no big loss. Might cripple the soldier, though, as he somewhat relies on helpers as a class quirk and might actually consider replacing them if they die. Very easy to get as a healer, requires keeping a massive stock of life potions for your helpers to use as any other class.

Faith? No more meat. This is actually pretty crippling, as hunger is absurdly lethal, food rations are absurdly rare and monsters only drop meat, leaving fish bought from town as your only remaining source of food. Can be gotten basically anytime, but it's hardly worth it.

Honor? No more hitting enemies while they're down, but not very hard to get as long as you pay attention to what you're doing. The drawback hardly matters, as you can just attack enemies the instant they get back up and they won't get any attacks in regardless. Well, in most cases anyway.

Courage? No more life potions or Wunnup's Cups. Completely ridiculous drawback and absurdly hard to raise in the first place, I am proud to say that this is the only virtue I've never gotten a badge in. IIRC, the closest I ever came was 92 points, in a run where I had like more than half my HP bar as serious wounds (thus forcing me to constantly run around with less than half HP) and both the enemies and containers absolutely refused to drop hearts. Then I died.
Life potions are mostly worthless if you're not playing as a healer and don't have any helpers, so I usually don't even bother picking them up in the first place.
Agent of Dread
Protector (Senior Member)

Post by Agent of Dread »

I got the badge once. I have no idea how, but it was before I decided that dying was not synonymous with a game over.

@Compassion: As an Elf or whatever if you get this, your Squire is probably already buffed to madness (as in, wielding maces and light platemail. Sadly, no matter the number or the level of Squires you have, they are basically helpless from level 5 onwards. It's worth getting the badge, for sure.

@Faith: I never saw the mass lethality of hunger. I basically never run out of food and by the time you need to get the badge and start living on herring and rations you have so much extra cash you can always afford more. The backtracking, while a pain, isn't a problem either. Not to mention afaik hunger doesn't deal heavy wounding so you could just use a potion.

@Dilligence: If you can get the other three badges at a rate where you are always leveling up there's not a problem getting this one last (and depending on your game version you can just use the spawner to make some crates and break 'em in the shrine if you have trouble keeping it up).
- Linktree: linktr.ee/trilbs -
Shade

Post by Shade »

Agent of Dread wrote:@Faith: I never saw the mass lethality of hunger. I basically never run out of food and by the time you need to get the badge and start living on herring and rations you have so much extra cash you can always afford more. The backtracking, while a pain, isn't a problem either. Not to mention afaik hunger doesn't deal heavy wounding so you could just use a potion.
Hunger does deal heavy wounds, which is what makes it so absurdly stupid in the first place.
And the problem isn't money (...usually), it's inventory space. Herrings keep your character satisfied for maybe half as long as meat does, meaning that you'll have to keep like 6 to 8 in your inventory just to get anywhere if you cannot use meat at all. That's almost half your inventory space.
Agent of Dread wrote:(and depending on your game version you can just use the spawner to make some crates and break 'em in the shrine if you have trouble keeping it up).
That's cheating. About as legit as using the treasure tool to set like half the chests' contents as magic rings.
Agent of Dread

Post by Agent of Dread »

Much less illegit. Free stat points =/= some dilligence, cash, keys and hearts.
AgentX
Acid Blob (New member)
Acid Blob (New member)

Post by AgentX »

Do any of you guys know how to create brand new SRF files? Then I could make a lot more rooms instead of just editing unused ones.
Agent of Dread

Post by Agent of Dread »

I believe if you export one, rename it, and then import it, you can create a new one.
AgentX
Acid Blob (New member)
Acid Blob (New member)

Post by AgentX »

Thank you.
AgentX
Acid Blob (New member)
Acid Blob (New member)

Post by AgentX »

I managed to to attach a forest themed room to the town also. I'm going to try to make several more of these