Heeey!

This is the welcome and goodbye section for the community. New members should introduce themselves here, read the rules and get free cookies!

Moderator: Developers

Arietta
Acid Blob (New member)
Acid Blob (New member)

Heeey!

Post by Arietta »

Hello, I recently found your game egoboo and decided to read up on some reviews to see if it's good and... some of those reviews were soo MEAN! I decided to try it anyway and my first impression was that the little characters are so cutee but it's really really hard to get used to it. Maybe you guys could have like a in-game tutorial, that would be soo helpful!

I also heard you guys have a second part? If so, could someone help me find it, I wanna try it out. Pretty pleease with a cherry on top? XD

~Arietta ♥
Agent of Dread
Protector (Senior Member)

Post by Agent of Dread »

Well hi there, welcome to the forums!

I don't think there's a 'second part', particularly, but depending on whether you got the download off of a game review website or here you may have an older version with nowhere near as much content (but likely a lot less bugs, as well).
- Linktree: linktr.ee/trilbs -
Zefz
Squirrel Knight (Administrator)
Squirrel Knight (Administrator)

Post by Zefz »

Welcome to the forums. Except some manuals (including birdseys quick start guide!) I think the only way to get use to Egoboo is to actually play around with it :P

I think the "second part" you are referring to might be SoulFu, which can be found here: http://www.aaronbishopgames.com/
Maxaxle
Darkshine Knight (Extremist fanatic)

Post by Maxaxle »

So we don't have a tutorial. So what? The game is so arcadey it's actually somewhat self-explanatory. Oh, and these last few versions have been quite buggy, so try out 2.22 for a very basic idea of how the game started out.
"Failing to plan is planning to fail."
Bug me if you want to play a game.
Agent of Dread

Post by Agent of Dread »

Oh yes, that's a lovely way to welcome our latest member, telling them their complaint is rubbish.
Arietta
Acid Blob (New member)
Acid Blob (New member)

Post by Arietta »

So we don't have a tutorial. So what? The game is so arcadey it's actually somewhat self-explanatory. Oh, and these last few versions have been quite buggy, so try out 2.22 for a very basic idea of how the game started out.
Oh, so it's just me then? Sorry, I don't play too much games so I guess I'm just not good at it, so just ignore the tutorial thing... I'll try to get better.
I think the "second part" you are referring to might be SoulFu, which can be found here: http://www.aaronbishopgames.com/
So that's the second part! Thankyou, Zefz! ^.^
You guys make some pretty cutee games, are you still working on both of them at the same time?

But anyway, thank you all for the warm and cozy welcome! ♥
Agent of Dread

Post by Agent of Dread »

There is a seperate team working on SoulFu, but the development over there has been really staggered, if you get my meaning. There are some of us who are also over there, though.
Maxaxle

Post by Maxaxle »

Arietta wrote:
Oh, so it's just me then? Sorry, I don't play too much games so I guess I'm just not good at it, so just ignore the tutorial thing... I'll try to get better.
No, I meant that you can learn the game pretty quickly without instructions, assuming you remember the controls.
"Failing to plan is planning to fail."
Bug me if you want to play a game.
Shade
Potion Mimic (Senior Member)

Post by Shade »

Maxaxle wrote:So we don't have a tutorial. So what? The game is so arcadey it's actually somewhat self-explanatory. Oh, and these last few versions have been quite buggy, so try out 2.22 for a very basic idea of how the game started out.
While you're basically right, it'd be nice if you'd for once try not to sound like a jerk.

@Arietta: Please don't mind him too much. Maxaxle can be... ...a bit mindless... ...at times.
Anyway, welcome to the forums! It's always nice when a few new members find our little place here.
While we do not have a tutorial in the game right now, something like that was planned at some point in the future, IIRC. However, right now you can really just try to play some of the easier modules until you get used to the game. Those would probably be the adventurer and healer starters. Maybe also the ash palace once you unlock it, but that probably depends on the player.
However, keep in mind that Egoboo is constantly being developed! What does not hold true right now may be a truth in the future - in other words, I'm fairly certain we'll have some kind of tutorial module at some point in the future, or at least an easier module aside from the palaces that helps new players get used to the game before throwing the challenging palaces at them.
penguinflyer5234
Sheep (Developer)
Sheep (Developer)

Post by penguinflyer5234 »

When in doubt, disregard Maxaxle.

Have a complementary :cookie: from pf2222.
Arietta
Acid Blob (New member)
Acid Blob (New member)

Post by Arietta »

While you're basically right, it'd be nice if you'd for once try not to sound like a jerk.
@Arietta: Please don't mind him too much. Maxaxle can be... ...a bit mindless... ...at times.
It's okay, he helped me realize that I shouldn't be complaining just because I can't play...
However, right now you can really just try to play some of the easier modules until you get used to the game. Those would probably be the adventurer and healer starters. Maybe also the ash palace once you unlock it, but that probably depends on the player.
Yeah I started doing that after trying the sand palace. It was horrible. Those spiders that jump at you are so MEAN! They just show no mercy, one of them ate me as if I was a sweet soft and chewy chocolate chip cookie, like the one flying penguin just gave to me (Thanks for that by the way, I LOVE cookies! *nom nom nom* ♥).
However, keep in mind that Egoboo is constantly being developed! What does not hold true right now may be a truth in the future
That sounds soo fun, making things for the game, but it's also probably really really hard, right? I know how to draw a little bit but I'm probably not good enough to help you guys out.
There is a seperate team working on SoulFu, but the development over there has been really staggered, if you get my meaning. There are some of us who are also over there, though.
Soulfu seems pretty fun too. I'll try it after I get good enough to win Eggyboo. ^.^

I'm an acid blob? Can you make me something cuter pretty pleease?! XD
Agent of Dread

Post by Agent of Dread »

Drawing, you say? You should show us some of your work some time! :)

I don't know what is Clonks' problem recommending the Ash Palace, that one is a LOT harder than the Sand Palace. XD

Also, you'll go up ranks by posting more - once you reach 2500, you get your own unique one. Pretty nifty, hey? :P
Shade

Post by Shade »

Arietta wrote:
It's okay, he helped me realize that I shouldn't be complaining just because I can't play...
This is true - but it does not apply to you. When did you complain? You just politely asked whether there was a tutorial. There is nothing wrong with that, really, so please don't feel bad about it. Everyone needs to start somewhere. I really don't think Maxaxle or anyone else was a pro at the game the very instant they first played it.
Arietta wrote:
However, keep in mind that Egoboo is constantly being developed! What does not hold true right now may be a truth in the future
That sounds soo fun, making things for the game, but it's also probably really really hard, right? I know how to draw a little bit but I'm probably not good enough to help you guys out.
Egoboo's coding language is actually fairly easy to learn, but it's somewhat difficult to ensure that everything works as intended.
And please, don't say that! Every bit of help is welcome! :)
Arietta wrote:
Soulfu seems pretty fun too. I'll try it after I get good enough to win Eggyboo. ^.^
Yeah, SoulFu is very nice, too. However, it may be even harder than Egoboo.
Arietta wrote:I'm an acid blob? Can you make me something cuter pretty pleease?! XD
Well... xD
Your rank image changes automatically to something else the more you post. But it's just an unimportant little something; I wouldn't pay much attention to it. ^^

@AoD: The Ash Palace? The hell is hard about it? The enemies you meet there are a ton more basic than the sand palace's (they can't poison you, for starters), and I'm tempted to say that aside from the one torch that you need to keep lit, even the puzzles are easier. :?
Really, if I could re-arrange the order the different palaces are visited in, I'd change it to something like Ash, Ice, Sand, Shadow, Water.
It's really ironical that currently, the hardest palaces have to be visited first while the lame, easy ones come last. :P
Agent of Dread

Post by Agent of Dread »

Ash Palace's broken boss changes it all (or was that fixed ages ago? I haven't played in a good long time...)
Shade

Post by Shade »

Agent of Dread wrote:Ash Palace's broken boss changes it all (or was that fixed ages ago? I haven't played in a good long time...)
I have no idea what happened to it in the meantime, but last time I checked (or rather, was able to check), the boss was pretty worthless. :?