Protector (Senior Member)

Post by Agent of Dread »

Also, please don't tell me you're playing a knight. :P
- Linktree: linktr.ee/trilbs -
octagon
Darkshine Knight (Extremist fanatic)

Post by octagon »

Agent of Dread wrote:Probably a good idea.
Archons and mind flayers are better though. :P

Hmm... but are there any better pets than eyes in earlier levels? I know what archons and mindflayers are, but I'm still far from seeing one without reverse genocide or create monster - my deepest dungeon level is 7 :blush: if you don't count the shovel-fanatic experimental archeologist :P
Agent of Dread wrote:Also, please don't tell me you're playing a knight. :P

Nooo. Jousting is cool, but IMO, playing a merely physical fighter is boooring. I currently prefer monks. They are kewl! The "cumbersome armor" stuff sucks, but they are still veeeery much fun to play.
Shade
Potion Mimic (Senior Member)

Post by Shade »

octagon wrote:
Agent of Dread wrote:Also, please don't tell me you're playing a knight. :P

Nooo. Jousting is cool, but IMO, playing a merely physical fighter is boooring. I currently prefer monks. They are kewl! The "cumbersome armor" stuff sucks, but they are still veeeery much fun to play.

I used to play monks as well, but I stopped when I realized how ridiculously restricted they actually are. They cannot eat meat without severe penalties, so unless you want to get yourself into big trouble (= death in most cases), you cannot get instrinsics from eating corpses. No telepathy from floating eyes. No cold resistance. No fire resistance. No poison resistance. It sucks, I tell you. (Also, vegetarian food isn't exactly plentiful.)
Also, it certainly doesn't help that the monk suffers even more severe drawbacks from doing bad stuff than normal lawfuls.

That's why I decided that playing any class that can have chaotic alighment (usually thief) was a better idea. They can do pretty much whatever the hell they want without suffering any drawbacks; they can even get away with killing shopkeepers (if they're strong enough, that is). :P
Cimeries
Lumberjack (Developer)
Lumberjack (Developer)

Post by Cimeries »

Clonkinator wrote:I used to play monks as well, but I stopped when I realized how ridiculously restricted they actually are. They cannot eat meat without severe penalties, so unless you want to get yourself into big trouble (= death in most cases), you cannot get instrinsics from eating corpses. No telepathy from floating eyes. No cold resistance. No fire resistance. No poison resistance. It sucks, I tell you. (Also, vegetarian food isn't exactly plentiful.)

You get all of those resistances automatically at level 11 or so. Plus, you can pray to your god to satiate you, which, assuming you don't regularly eat meat, should always succeed. The penalty for eating meat is a mere -1 alignment anyway, this can be remedied with an altar and a few corpses.
Monks are actually the easiest class to play, if you ask me, especially if you can get your hands on some cool spellbooks like healing and summon monster. It makes you pretty much unstoppable.
Also, if killing is your business, play a chaotic monk (or is that only possible in Slash'EM?).
:wink:
Agent of Dread

Post by Agent of Dread »

I like Valkyries and Wizards - I also had a pretty good samurai lately.
Pure combat is fun because I just love tanking the water demons I've died so many deaths to.
Cimeries
Lumberjack (Developer)
Lumberjack (Developer)

Post by Cimeries »

Get Slash'EM and play a drow Ice Mage.
Ice ice baby.
Agent of Dread

Post by Agent of Dread »

Doppleganger flame mages ftw, man.
Burn baby burn.
Cimeries
Lumberjack (Developer)
Lumberjack (Developer)

Post by Cimeries »

Drow melee attacks cause sleeping. This is awesome when dual wielding Deep Freeze and a crysknife.
The role then plays sort of like a cross of rogue and wizard.
Agent of Dread

Post by Agent of Dread »

Yeah, I heard about that. I wonder if the polymorph is a worthy tradeoff...
Shade

Post by Shade »

Cimeries wrote:You get all of those resistances automatically at level 11 or so.

...you do? Oh. I never got a monk that far, so I wouldn't know.

Cimeries wrote:Plus, you can pray to your god to satiate you, which, assuming you don't regularly eat meat, should always succeed.

That works? Wow... Just goes to show how little I actually know about NetHack. :P
However, I'm terribly paranoid about praying (too many YASDs to lightnings of an angry god)...

Cimeries wrote:The penalty for eating meat is a mere -1 alignment anyway, this can be remedied with an altar and a few corpses.

That's just too bad when there's no altar around to offer stuff on. :/

Cimeries wrote:Monks are actually the easiest class to play, if you ask me, especially if you can get your hands on some cool spellbooks like healing and summon monster. It makes you pretty much unstoppable.

Yeah, you've got a point there, healing combined with good melee and good HP is pretty awesome. But I just don't like the restrictions. Maybe the monk just doesn't suit my style of play.

Cimeries wrote:Also, if killing is your business, play a chaotic monk (or is that only possible in Slash'EM?).

It's been a while since I last played NetHack, but I'm pretty certain that monks can only be lawful or neutral in vanilla NetHack.
Agent of Dread

Post by Agent of Dread »

Actually, you gain alignment (pious, devout, etc) from killing monsters. Your max alignment goes up every 200 turns, capping at 20 and starting at 10.
As for gods' anger, however, you might wanna sacrifice.

Also, monks get all three alignments. I like chaotics the best.

Also, every 1000 turns max (unless you're crowned) is usually a good timeslot for prayer, minus sacrifice reduction.
octagon

Post by octagon »

Clonkinator wrote:you cannot get instrinsics from eating corpses. No telepathy from floating eyes.

I actually often ate floating eye corpses with a monk, and I never got a message from it. So I think that (in 3.4.3) they count as vegetarian... strange, but... it seems so.
Agent of Dread

Post by Agent of Dread »

No, floating eyes are still non-vegetarian... you'll get the message 'You feel guilty', but it probably gets pushed off-screen with 'You feel a strange mental acuity'.
Also, prayer on an altar can get your god to give you intrinsics.
It can also make holy water if you dropped water on the altar.
Agent of Dread

Post by Agent of Dread »

Agh, wtf. Why can't I take a lizard corpse out of my bag faster than a cockatrice egg can stone me?
I was just peckish... rrr.
Cimeries
Lumberjack (Developer)
Lumberjack (Developer)

Post by Cimeries »

http://nethack.wikia.com/wiki/Riders#War

I feel warm and fuzzy inside.