The Videogame Thread

Anything not related to Egoboo.

Moderator: Developers

Shade
Potion Mimic (Senior Member)

Re: The Videogame Thread

Post by Shade »

Oh my. They chose 8flight of all people to be one of the judges in raocow's MAGLX contest? The guy who was responsible for the majority of ASMXT's completely unplayable and unfun junk levels? The guy who wouldn't know good level design if it hit him in the face with a tuna?
I have lost all faith in mankind. (Again.)
octagon
Darkshine Knight (Extremist fanatic)

Post by octagon »

I was rather befuddled too - and the low scores he gives make this situation even weirder (I wonder whether he'd vote his own levels into trash tier too or he just applies strange and opaque criteria... but well, if other people are anything like me, assessing your own levels is really hard due to what one might call familiarity bias*) - but apparently he was chosen for being very good at playing SMBX, so levels of every difficulty are judged fairly, which kind of makes sense but still, 8flight?

I'm quite surprised my level made it past 100th place, given that 8flight seems to dislike levels with silly NPC dialogue, some parts can glitch out pretty bad and the overall enemy density is too high...
Agent of Dread
Protector (Senior Member)
Protector (Senior Member)

Post by Agent of Dread »

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/166 ... ht-drifter

In case any of you guys didn't know about this, get hyped.
- Linktree: linktr.ee/trilbs -
octagon

Post by octagon »

Credit cards are hardly a thing in Germany at all and I hate contracts and the like so much that I'm not bothering to get one myself, so Kickstarter frustrates me because there's always amazing projects I can't back. (at least La-Mulana 2 made it)
I'm really looking forward to Hyper Light Drifter's release - aside from the promising gameplay, I'm really digging the visuals, especially colouring.
penguinflyer5234
Sheep (Developer)
Sheep (Developer)

Post by penguinflyer5234 »

[insert Olivia facing a falcon knight picture here] imageshack went premium only :\

Fire Emblem: Awakening, why must you do this when I play? :(
Shade

Post by Shade »

penguinflyer5234 wrote:imageshack went premium only :\
Wait what, seriously? That's pretty sad.
penguinflyer5234 wrote:Fire Emblem: Awakening, why must you do this when I play? :(
Is it Chapter 16 by any chance? :teach:
That chapter is... ...unpleasant if you take too long. On Hard and above, your best bet is to just rush the boss if you can't be bothered to deal with the surprise reinforcements.
penguinflyer5234
Sheep (Developer)
Sheep (Developer)

It is Chapter 16; I think I'm too low level (everyone is around level 23).
Shade

Post by Shade »

How many characters does your core team consist of?
If you've been using a full team (8+ combat units) and haven't spent much/any time fighting random encounters on the world map, that level is actually quite adequate at that point, although it should be noted that this game (unfortunately) generally tends to be easier if you use a bit fewer, higher-leveled units.

Again, do take note of Chapter 16's victory condition - it's just "defeat boss", not "rout enemy", so you can just end the map before the reinforcements even appear if you kill the boss quickly. You'll miss out on some Exp, but that shouldn't make too much of a difference at this point (and if you really find yourself unable to progress due to a lack of Exp, you can always go beat up some random encounters on the world map - Hard Mode random encounters are perfectly beatable).
Maxaxle

Post by Maxaxle »

penguinflyer5234 wrote:imageshack went premium only :\
WHAT

IN OTHER NEWS, I got Hitman: Blood Money, and am enjoying it a little too much for my own good. It's like the GTA of stealth games, because stealth is never technically required and you can take any route you like to any result you like. When you're not deciding whether your target's funeral will be open casket or closed casket, you're deciding how to kill them. In one specific example, your target drinks a lot, and you're treated to a quick shot of him retrieving a beer from a hollow globe, taking a sip, and putting it back into the globe. When you find the globe, you'll find that he stands directly underneath a particularly nasty-looking glass-and-metal chandelier, which dangles from a chain that goes through a pulley and connects to a wall mount (which can be "upgraded" with an explosive). This isn't to say that the whole idea of "get from point A to person B and then escape using point C" is exclusive to Blood Money, it's just that it has many more causes of death, many more mechanics to reduce suspicion, and disguises work better.
"Failing to plan is planning to fail."
Bug me if you want to play a game.
penguinflyer5234
Sheep (Developer)
Sheep (Developer)

Man is Elite Beat Agents a fun game :o It's just I am very bad at it :|
Cimeries
Lumberjack (Developer)
Lumberjack (Developer)

Post by Cimeries »

Holy flaming poopsticks this game is amazing... I just played 10 hours straight...
:wink:
Maxaxle

Post by Maxaxle »

*pokes thread*
I'm having some...interesting...experiences trying to get assorted Windows XP, Windows 98, and Windows 95 games to work on Linux (using PlayOnLinux). I have yet to see GTA3 *not* work on any given computer, but Ignition (abandonware Win95/98 kiddie racing game; AMAZING) and Carmageddon 2 (Win98 arcadey racing game with an emphasis on splattering pedestrians; really fun but also really laggy on wimpier computers) are almost comically inconsistent. On a Made For Windows XP laptop, both work fine, whereas on a Made For Windows XP desktop computer with similar specs, neither will launch correctly.
Maxaxle

Post by Maxaxle »

I have a new recommendation for anyone that can use PlayDeb: S.C.O.U.R.G.E., a 3D point-and-click RPG with RTS elements.
Driving idea: You're an adventurer in a time when adventurers are on the decline (as the latest monarch is actually good at their job). It's implied that you started sometime before said decline, but that's not the point; the point is that you're now working as an exterminator, taking care of unusual tasks for a group (company?) called S.C.O.U.R.G.E. (an extermination group/company).
Graphics: The models are Quake 3-era, the lighting is from around the same time (I think), and everything looks like it was made by the same group, though the aesthetic isn't quite as unified as it could have been. Everyone RUNS if they need to get somewhere (your character included), regardless of the situation, and armor and weapons aren't reflected in your playermodel (which you choose at the start from a surprisingly small pool of models).
Audio: Almost depressingly basic, but functional, and there's some fairly good music for every occasion.
Gameplay: If you don't have a mouse, you might as well give up on the game now. Left-clicking moves, double-clicking uses things (though I still have no idea how to pick things up off of the floor), middle-clicking lets you rotate the camera, and right-clicking opens up a small menu for most objects/furniture. Hovering over a given object/wall/floor gives a description of it, and right-clicking an enemy gives known statistics on it. Arrow keys move the camera (but you can always just move the mouse to the edges of the screen to do that too), space bar toggles between turnbased and real-time (useful if the game decides that you've been looking in a chest for a few seconds too long), "]" switches weapons, and the most useful menus can be seen near the bottom of the screen.
Combat: As soon as combat begins in turnbased mode, you get a ring of some sort going around your body, showing how far your current weapon will fire. Double-clicking somewhere moves you there, but double-clicking on an enemy that's in range will instead attack said enemy (I'd recommend getting a bow of some sort, because all bows have infinite ammo for some reason). There are two or three interesting mechanics I noticed while fighting Fake Cobras and Imps, the "blind spot" mechanic", the "fumble" mechanic, and the assorted armor/shield/weapon-blocking mechanics. First things first, you and your enemies seem to get a bonus to your chance to hit by attacking your enemy's "blind spot". I haven't used it myself, but the ingame enemies seem to really like it. With any attack, though, there's a chance that you will fumble your weapon and deal a massive amount of damage to yourself; it's not clear exactly how this would work in reality, but in the game, fumbling seems to deal two or three times the normal amount of damage to whoever's attacking. As for blocking, if someone attacks you, there's a good chance that you'll either use your weapon or shield to block an attack, and there's a somewhat smaller chance that your armor will block some or all of the damage headed your way.
My opinions, etc: Although there appears to be a full-on plot available to complete, I've only gotten into the first mission, and I think the game could use some polishing (as far as the controls, mostly). As a Scholar, I've noticed traps, noticed secret doors, transcribed spells, and identified assorted weapons, netting me some XP here and there, but my combat skills are seriously weak.
penguinflyer5234
Sheep (Developer)
Sheep (Developer)

Maxaxle

Post by Maxaxle »

penguinflyer5234 wrote:(http://sf.net/p/scourge/)
Whoops! Yeah, I really should have put in their SF link. Thanks PF5234!