The Videogame Thread

Anything not related to Egoboo.

Moderator: Developers

octagon
Darkshine Knight (Extremist fanatic)

Re: The Videogame Thread

Post by octagon »

Happy hyper light drifting, AoD. Finally.
I'll check out the game later but I have a pretty huge backlog.

In other game news: I've gotten very into Dark Souls; Nuclear Throne, Downwell and NecroDancer are fantastic; Momodora 4 is very promising; We Know The Devil is a great experience; Magic the Gathering appeals to me because it's so hideously complex; due to some interesting events, I'm now methodical enough to be good at puzzle games like Portal and Cogs
Agent of Dread
Protector (Senior Member)

Post by Agent of Dread »

It's SOOO GOOODDDDDDDD
- Linktree: linktr.ee/trilbs -
Maxaxle

Post by Maxaxle »

So apparently editing ARMA Cold War Assault missions is a bigger task than expected. Hrm.
"Failing to plan is planning to fail."
Bug me if you want to play a game.
Agent of Dread

Post by Agent of Dread »

Couple things from recently that might be of interest to/have been played by you guys in no particular order:
  • Iji 1.7 was released a couple of months ago, which revamps and cleans up some of the gameplay and adds in two new endings, as well as being ported to a newer Game Maker version that handles better on modern computers
  • Hollow Knight, released this year, is pretty much everything you could want from a Metroidvania with a gorgeous illustrated art style
  • Shovel Knight: Specter of Torment, the third of the four campaigns Yacht Club are shooting for with Shovel Knight, has the most buttery-smooth and satisfying gameplay of the three, and great theme remixes
  • Necropolis is a very stylish dungeon crawl, although a little empty without friends
  • Flinthook is a side-scrolling grappling-hook-and-shooty roguelite with a super arcadey space pirate vibe
  • N++ made it to PC last year, and is the definitive edition of the classic bite-sized platformer with some 4000-odd levels and a colourful new take on the minimalist visuals
  • Nier: Automata is a love letter to video games in a lot of ways, with super smooth and polished gameplay and a complex story that I need to play more of
  • Iconoclasts is finally, finally getting close to an actual, real release
  • Undertale was alright I guess. :P
Shade
Potion Mimic (Senior Member)

Post by Shade »

Agent of Dread wrote:Iji 1.7
There's been another update to Iji? Good god, it's been almost 10 years. Does that guy never stop? xD
Agent of Dread wrote:Shovel Knight: Specter of Torment, the third of the four campaigns Yacht Club are shooting for with Shovel Knight, has the most buttery-smooth and satisfying gameplay of the three, and great theme remixes
Oh, yes. Specter of Torment was great.
In fact, it was so good I finally grew to like the game enough to complete the feats/achievements, even for the other campaigns.
Agent of Dread wrote:Undertale was alright I guess. :P
G E N O C I D E I S J U S T A N O T H E R G A M E

As for a few contributions from my end...
  • Rabi-Ribi is another absolutely fantastic Metroidvania that was released last year. The character designs are quite fanservicey for the most part (...just look at the protagonist duo), but the story and character interactions actually are quite Touhou-like and the gameplay is amazing. In particular, it blends Metroidvanias with Bullet Hells in a really satisfying manner and combines the best of both worlds.
    The game also offers and supports loads of different challenges, giving it tons of replay value. For instance, it's fully possible to beat the game without ever collecting a single upgrade, and you can not only fight the bosses in nearly any order, the game even acknowledges this with an achievement for the ones where getting to them without fighting certain other bosses first is a bit tricky.
  • OneShot is kinda similar to Undertale, yet unique in its own way. In particular, it's extremely meta - it flat-out acknowledges that you, the player, exist, and interacts with this fact in a couple of interesting ways.
  • Sora is a Bullet Hell, yet at the same time it kinda isn't. For starters, your hitbox is normal-sized, but you can dash through energy-based projectiles without taking damage. You can also effectively have three different shot types at the same time, out of around 20 weapons to choose from, each with their own Hyper. The bosses effectively are a weird blend of Bullet Hell with Arcade Fighter elements. It all comes together quite nicely and is really satisfying.
    I actually uploaded a video of Arcade Mode if you'd like to see the game in motion.
Agent of Dread

Post by Agent of Dread »

Oh yeah, I've also played a bit of OneShot. I like its style of involving the player a lot more than Undertale's so far.

I watched a bit of your video on Sora and it does look really cool. Where's it available?
Speaking of Bullet Hell hybrids, Furi is more or less a short and sweet Boss Rush that switches between top down shooter, side-on fighting game and Dark Souls-esque action at a moment's notice. The visuals are a little rough but the retrowave soundtrack and punchy gameplay feel great.
Shade

Post by Shade »

Agent of Dread wrote:Where's it available?
You can get it on Steam. The game actually happens to be on sale right now, so you can get it for around 6 €~
Shade

Post by Shade »

Darkest Dungeon is pretty funny sometimes

tfw you get the tutorial pop-up explaining hero deaths for the first time...
...during the final boss battle...
...on Stygian difficulty
Cimeries
Lumberjack (Developer)
Lumberjack (Developer)

Post by Cimeries »

I want to share my experience with a few games I played in the recent months:

Shadow of War - Awesome game set in the LoTR universe. Combat is incredibly fun, and the best thing about the game is the Nemesis system - where Orc captains are all randomly generated to have personalities, quirks, strengths and weaknesses. The emergent gameplay that results from this system is something that I've never seen before and it pushes all the right buttons for me. SoW is a sequel to Shadow of Mordor, and I recommend starting with the latter if you end up checking this one out - it has the same core gameplay, just less ''busy'' with details and features.

War for the Overworld - Fan made sequel to Dungeon Keeper II - it's like DKII (a classic favourite of mine) but much better, and it has a much needed integrated map editor working with Steam Workshop, so there's more content being made for it.

Risk of Rain 2 - Is in Early Access, and so far I can dub it a very good translation of RoR to a 3D environment, with a few new mechanics and slightly different balance. The new creature designs look cool.

In other news, I'm currently on day 6 of a 90-day break from videogames. Challenging myself to see if I can do it since I've felt a bit imbalanced with the amount I played recently - not coincidentally with the 'aid' of the three suspects above.
:wink:
Agent of Dread

Post by Agent of Dread »

I missed out on the 2 for 1 sale with RoR2 so I haven't picked it up yet, even though the good feedback I've heard so far and a new OST by Chris Christodoulou is a mouth-watering prospect.

The closest thing to a new game I've played recently would be Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice, but I haven't gotten back to it after a couple hours in the game despite greatly enjoying what I did play. These days I usually do daily stuff in MTGA, Spelunky and FFXIV and spend the rest of the time either working or drawing.
penguinflyer2222
Queen Penguin (Senior Member)
Queen Penguin (Senior Member)

Post by penguinflyer2222 »

I haven't played any of the games you've all been talking about (well, aside from Spelunky), but here's one that you might find interesting.

We got Dead Cells recently, it's a "Roguevania".
So it's a Metroidvania with randomly-generated layouts and permadeath, but you unlock permanent upgrades as you go along.
And it's got a bunch of different weapons with different effects randomly added to them, kind of like Angband's effects.

Actually Angband got a major update a while ago where they changed a bunch of things, items' effects are easier to identify because they're based on runes you identify, like "slay dragon" or "acid", instead of on a per-item basis. But anyway..

I unlocked Dead Cells's hard difficulty, and it's difficult :P, so then I decided to continue Octopath Traveler after not playing for a while, I guess because The World Ends With You - Final Remix - and whatnot came out, and I dunno, I just wanted to talk about videogames?

I guess I don't really play PC games though.
Agent of Dread

Post by Agent of Dread »

Dead Cells is one I keep hearing good things about, but now that it's out of early access and is summarily full price I'm struggling to want to buy and try it. :P

Have you heard of Flinthook, 2222? It might be up your alley, I've only played a bit of it but it's really polished and has a fun vibe.
Agent of Dread

Post by Agent of Dread »

I must have forgotten to post about it, but it seems like something worth mentioning to y'all: I tried Baba is You out the other month after hearing about it, and it might be my favourite game to have come out last year. I always underestimate just how much a really good puzzle game can get me going, especially one with as many ingenious secrets as Baba.
Shade

Post by Shade »

Oh yeah. I'm not much of a puzzlegame fan myself, but Baba Is You was a treat even for someone like me. Very challenging later on, and some of the solutions are pretty funny. :P
Agent of Dread

Post by Agent of Dread »

I especially appreciated levels like Ultimate Maze which essentially use the most complicated method possible of creating an otherwise basic puzzle. :P I should get back to it and clear the levels I still couldn't get; I'm sure I'll eventually get spoiled for the endings otherwise.

Another one that I must have thought I mentioned and didn't is Celeste -- I'd had it for a while and only got around to beating the game + B-sides + Farewell at the end of last year, but god damn, that game is a masterpiece. Matt/Maddy sure hasn't lost their touch, even after all these years.