Anyone played La Mulana?

Anything not related to Egoboo.

Moderator: Developers

Hiroy
Tranch (Novice)
Tranch (Novice)

Anyone played La Mulana?

Post by Hiroy »

You guys should be familiar with indy games right? I recently got into it again after about 3 months quitting it. It's a really good game.

If you have not already, play it now. Note, the game is filled with puzzles and cryptic hints scattered all over the ruins. Some puzzles even unlock things in another area completely. This means its either you take alot of notes on the clues to tell what solves what, or you just solve puzzles and wonder around aimlessly looking for any changes in layout.

It's a really complicated game, and I won't recommend it if you don't have the heart of an archeologist. And oh... The music in this game is epic.

I'm currently at the top section of Confusion Gate that interconnects with that dreaded Goddess Tower.
Agent of Dread
Protector (Senior Member)
Protector (Senior Member)

Post by Agent of Dread »

I did download it, and try to play it, but I could not comprehend the game at all.
This was ages ago, too. :P
Nicalis, I think, are doing it for WiiWare, I'm hoping I can figure it out better when that happens.
- Linktree: linktr.ee/trilbs -
Cimeries
Lumberjack (Developer)
Lumberjack (Developer)

Post by Cimeries »

Looks very classy, I'm going to try it.
:wink:
PurpleSquerkle
Massive Gelfeet (Developer)
Massive Gelfeet (Developer)

Re: Anyone played La Mulana?

Post by PurpleSquerkle »

Yeah, I got this quite some time ago, though I haven't played it that much yet.
It's pretty tough.

Hiroy wrote:The music in this game is epic.

Yes.
Hiroy
Tranch (Novice)
Tranch (Novice)

Post by Hiroy »

Yeah, it's one of those games that throws you into the action without the slightest hint of what the plot is. Like Cave Story, but a bit more complex and harder to unravel.

It's easy to die in the beginning since you are slow and limited in doing anything. If anyone needs help on anything, just ask. I'll try to assist on the best way to start.

The Wiiware does look promising however. I heard it's more user friendly, which is a good thing. The game does not explain many things... Well they do, but they are on monuments all the the ruins.
Seanbot
Cobol (Esteemed member)
Cobol (Esteemed member)

Post by Seanbot »

I really need to get winblows.
Moogirl wrote: [19:47:14] ­period jokes = not cool
[19:47:23] ­no wait it's the anus
[19:47:25] ­wtf
[19:47:46] ­a cloud cannot have that much blood
Shade
Potion Mimic (Senior Member)

Post by Shade »

I just downloaded this game and started to play it for a bit, but all this talk about traps has left me a little scared. Are there really that much traps? What things should I never do in this game? (As for this, I already found one thing out: never hit anything but enemies or pots with your whip. You might just get hit by a random lightning for quite a lot of damage.)
And most importantly, are there many traps that cause instant death (do the spikes kill?), or do they all just do damage you?
Also, I'm a little lost on what to do with those rune plates; I don't understand what they're saying. Do I need some special item other than just the scanner to get comprehensible English from those plates?
Maxaxle
Darkshine Knight (Extremist fanatic)

Post by Maxaxle »

Nope. Might check it out sometime.
"Failing to plan is planning to fail."
Bug me if you want to play a game.
Hiroy
Tranch (Novice)
Tranch (Novice)

Post by Hiroy »

I just downloaded this game and started to play it for a bit, but all this talk about traps has left me a little scared. Are there really that much traps?
There are. The are pedestals that trigger some really nasty traps, but those are obvious. Like if you see skeltons around one, never place a wieght on it. You'll suffer the same fate as them. You either take a ton of damage or get trapped with nothing to do but reload(you can warp out if you have the Holy Grail).

What things should I never do in this game? (As for this, I already found one thing out: never hit anything but enemies or pots with your whip. You might just get hit by a random lightning for quite a lot of damage.)
Things of special importance in the ruins are protected by a holy power. If you strike it, you will get hurt. For the most part, you must not strike things that stand out, but it does give you a clue that something must be done there. Sometimes you are struck if you don't do a puzzle correctly in certain places.

And most importantly, are there many traps that cause instant death (do the spikes kill?), or do they all just do damage you?

Like I said. Some kill you, some damage you, and some trap you with no possible way to escape unless you have the Grail. The Grail is the absolute first thing you must find.

Also, I'm a little lost on what to do with those rune plates; I don't understand what they're saying. Do I need some special item other than just the scanner to get comprehensible English from those plates?

You need a Glyph Reader MSX ROM. You can buy it for 80 coins in one of the stores. It translates the clues and stuff.

And oh, I suggest reading the manual. It's really helpful.
Shade

Post by Shade »

Hiroy wrote:I just downloaded this game and started to play it for a bit, but all this talk about traps has left me a little scared. Are there really that much traps?
There are. The are pedestals that trigger some really nasty traps, but those are obvious. Like if you see skeltons around one, never place a wieght on it. You'll suffer the same fate as them. You either take a ton of damage or get trapped with nothing to do but reload(you can warp out if you have the Holy Grail).

I see... :/
Good thing I already ignored the first pedestal with skeletons around it.

Hiroy wrote:What things should I never do in this game? (As for this, I already found one thing out: never hit anything but enemies or pots with your whip. You might just get hit by a random lightning for quite a lot of damage.)
Things of special importance in the ruins are protected by a holy power. If you strike it, you will get hurt. For the most part, you must not strike things that stand out, but it does give you a clue that something must be done there. Sometimes you are struck if you don't do a puzzle correctly in certain places.

Ok then.

Hiroy wrote:And most importantly, are there many traps that cause instant death (do the spikes kill?), or do they all just do damage you?

Like I said. Some kill you, some damage you, and some trap you with no possible way to escape unless you have the Grail. The Grail is the absolute first thing you must find.

I see... Doesn't sound very encouraging. :/

Hiroy wrote:

You need a Glyph Reader MSX ROM. You can buy it for 80 coins in one of the stores. It translates the clues and stuff.

80-- holy crap, that's expensive. I hope the hints are worth the trouble after all. =/
(Well... I guess they must be.)

Hiroy wrote:And oh, I suggest reading the manual. It's really helpful.

I already did; if I hadn't, I probably wouldn't even have found out how to save the game. :lol:
Hiroy
Tranch (Novice)
Tranch (Novice)

Post by Hiroy »

While money can be an issue, it's easy to grind for them. Coins appear in the same pots all the time, and they respawn when you reload the game(you also get full health for reloading after saving).

I suggest finding the grail first before trying to do anything. The puzzle there is a bit easy to solve if you see the hints.

Got the Shell Horn? It makes a noise whenever you solve a puzzle. useful as there are times where you can solve puzzles without knowing.
Hiroy
Tranch (Novice)
Tranch (Novice)

Post by Hiroy »

Finished the game. 2 times at that. I know everything.... except how the get to Hell Temple. After seeing how frustrating as hell that place is, I don't want to do it.

I'm on my 3rd playthrough now.
Hiroy
Tranch (Novice)
Tranch (Novice)

Post by Hiroy »

Playing Necromancy on this topic.

I've moved on towards to Wiiware version, which is polish-wise better. Japanese version though. The English one should be out sometime this year.
octagon

Post by octagon »

For some reason I overlooked this topic when I found the game and wanted to recommend it to the forum... for some other reason I thought this post was (instead of a distinct topic) the first post of the videogame thread.
Yes, the Wii version looks absolutely amazing.

I still haven't beaten this game yet, since I suck too bad for beating the final boss. I'm currently watching DeceasedCrab's Hell Temple run at the moment, though... I don't know whether to laugh or to cry.
Hiroy
Tranch (Novice)
Tranch (Novice)

Post by Hiroy »

You made it to final boss? That great!! Not alot of players make could ever witness the end of such a long an fantastic adventure... though the game is short. The amount of stuff you have to do beats content in any 60 hour game honestly.

And oh.. DeceasedCrab's videos were probably the biggest waste of time ever. For me atleast. It started off okay, but I got tired of videos that were solely dedicated to his ramblings and repeated failures. He killed Let's Play's forever for me. What I do like is the speedrun video. That pretty much shows you everything(cept Hell's Temple), though some sequences are a tad bit confusing... like getting an item on one side of the ruin unravels an important ladder in another far-away location.

The Wiiware version fixes these problems by making the items useable rather than automatic(like you gotta use the Infinite key yourself to open paths, rather then them opening automatically).