Anything not related to Egoboo.

Moderator: Developers

ShellShocker
Rust Eater (Senior Member)
Rust Eater (Senior Member)

Re: Maxy's Getting an N64!

Post by ShellShocker »

Get Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask

No - scratch that - don't even get a N64.

As great as they are they're very old and they have no value in making anyone 'look cooler'. Honestly, just emulate or get on the WiiWare like everyone already said. I can't see your justification on getting one to be honest.
This signature picture has been cropped to fit the size limit.
Agent of Dread
Protector (Senior Member)

Post by Agent of Dread »

he's just trying to be hipster guys don't be so mean omg
- Linktree: linktr.ee/trilbs -
Cimeries
Lumberjack (Developer)
Lumberjack (Developer)

Post by Cimeries »

Agent of Dread wrote:he's just trying to be hipster guys don't be so mean omg
But now that you said it he will have to deny it.
:wink:
Maxaxle
Darkshine Knight (Extremist fanatic)

Post by Maxaxle »

Cimeries wrote:
Agent of Dread wrote:he's just trying to be hipster guys don't be so mean omg
But now that you said it he will have to deny it.
This.

It's not that my favorite N64 games aren't on WiiWare, it's that the ones they DO put on WiiWare aren't all that good when they could have picked better ones. As I said before, Crusin' World is much better than Crusin' USA, but they only have USA. Why? I have no idea, but it sucks.
"Failing to plan is planning to fail."
Bug me if you want to play a game.
Ditto
Jungle Warrior (Committed contributor)
Jungle Warrior (Committed contributor)

Post by Ditto »

I've found that Project 64 works just fine as a PC emulator with pretty decent frame rates. N64 controllers+adapters aren't too hard to find online, although honestly if you've got another controller with a control stick that works on your PC you should just use that. Don't be retro, N64 controllers are horribly designed and that control stick will give you blisters and agony.

Paper Mario. Get it. It's not a platformer or very Mario-ish (think Super Mario RPG on the SNES if you ever played it) but it really is a classic. The humor, soundtrack, and visual style are all stellar and the gameplay is fun if a little easy.

Other than that, Super Mario 64, Ocarina of Time, and Donkey Kong 64 were all fun. I've heard Banjo-Kazooie and Majora's Mask were good but I never actually played them unfortunately. Mario Kart, Golf, and Party went way downhill after the 64 but they're pretty fun especially if you're playing with other people.
"It only hurts when my squad won't f***ing heal me."

http://guildedage.net/
Maxaxle

Post by Maxaxle »

Don't get me wrong, PC emulation has come a long way, and works fairly well on my best computer(s). Unfortunately...
1. Some games are just buggy when emulated.
2. Call me nostalgic or something, but my PS2-style controller leaves something to be desired when emulating N64 games, ESPECIALLY when you're talking about Goldeneye or Perfect Dark. "blisters and agony" aside, I personally really like the N64 controller. Would I take it over modern controllers? Probably not. But the N64 controller has a certain quirkiness to it, in a way that makes it interesting.
3. Not really a fan of platformers. So sue me. Zelda always seemed kinda neat, though, and I wouldn't mind trying out Mario Kart.
penguinflyer5234
Sheep (Developer)
Sheep (Developer)

Post by penguinflyer5234 »

1. Change renderers and/or settings. It helps. (for instance one can run P64 on some ancient Intel graphics cards at (near) full speed)
2. N64 controller + adapter?
Maxaxle

Post by Maxaxle »

penguinflyer5234 wrote:1. Change renderers and/or settings. It helps. (for instance one can run P64 on some ancient Intel graphics cards at (near) full speed)
2. N64 controller + adapter?
1. Body Harvest will occasionally just FREEZE for about a minute or two, then go back to running normally if you alt-tab (in Lubuntu).
2. That would be an ideal solution, could be used for an N64 *or* a PC. I was seriously considering it.
Shade
Potion Mimic (Senior Member)

Post by Shade »

Ditto wrote:I've heard Banjo-Kazooie and Majora's Mask were good but I never actually played them unfortunately.
Yeah, they're awesome. Majora's Mask in particular may be the best Zelda game out there.
Ditto wrote:Mario Kart, Golf, and Party went way downhill after the 64 but they're pretty fun especially if you're playing with other people.
I would disagree about Mario Kart; Mario Kart Wii kind of sucks, but Double Dash was a blast and is really fun, a definite improvement over Mario Kart 64 especially in singleplayer mode (the AI is nowhere near as rubberbandy and actually pretends to realistically use items). Sure, constantly getting blasted by blue shells sucks, but if the only thing the AI ever does is toss banana peels, that's pretty lame, too.
Agent of Dread

Post by Agent of Dread »

I really want to play Majora's Mask, but I need to finish Ocarina of Time first.
- Linktree: linktr.ee/trilbs -
penguinflyer5234
Sheep (Developer)
Sheep (Developer)

Maxaxle wrote:1. Body Harvest will occasionally just FREEZE for about a minute or two, then go back to running normally if you alt-tab (in Lubuntu).
Same thing happens with Banjo-Tooie. (but pausing/unpausing doesn't help sometimes)

Since you're using Lubuntu, I'm assuming that you're using mupen64plus? Try setting the renderer to Glide64 or glN64.
Maxaxle

Post by Maxaxle »

NOT-SO-BREAKING NEWS: Bought an N64 (GREEN), along with 3 controllers (2 with moderately loose analog sticks, 1 with a game-breakingly loose analog stick), 5 games (F-Zero X, Blast Corps, Diddy Kong Racing, Obligatory Licensed Disney Character Go-Carting Game 64, and Yoshi's Story), an Expansion Pack (aww yeahh), and the necessary power and video hookups, all in surprisingly good condition.

Best games: Blast Corps (seemed silly at first, but it's Better Than It Sounds) and F-Zero X (You got Boost Power!; a tad rubberbandy in the AI department, but in a good way)
Worst games: Yoshi's Story (the controls feel a little weird considering it's a platformer, and the game itself is really WTF if you've never played it, like Yoshi's eaten the wrong kind of Magic Mushroom)
Untried, but now working (hooray for Q-tips): Obligatory Licensed Disney Character Go-Carting Game 64 (got good reviews but I'm not looking forward to it), Diddy Kong Racing (only got it working this morning)

Still on my shopping list (ranked from "most wanted" to "least wanted") (feel free to comment, etc.):
-Rumble Pak (one or two)
-Body Harvest (as mentioned earlier, it emulates with hiccups) (about $10 including shipping from JJ Games)
-Goldeneye (even if it's freakin' $25 off JJ Games and hard to find elsewhere)
-Perfect Dark (emulator runs fine, but my game controller just isn't built for the dominant control styles) (~$14 off JJ Games)
-In regards to the previous two: USB adapter, maybe two.
-Crusin' World (if you were born in the early '90s [in the US] and never played Crusin' World, you didn't have a childhood. That, or you lived on a farm in the middle of nowhere.)
-San Francisco Rush (3...2...1...RUUUUSH!) (Amazing game; I have to remember to emulate it) (~$5 with shipping on JJ Games)
-SW Episode 1: Racer (How could this NOT be on my list?)
-Vigilante 8 (or its sequel).
Shade wrote:I would disagree about Mario Kart; Mario Kart Wii kind of sucks, but Double Dash was a blast and is really fun, a definite improvement over Mario Kart 64 especially in singleplayer mode (the AI is nowhere near as rubberbandy and actually pretends to realistically use items).
YES.
penguinflyer5234 wrote:Since you're using Lubuntu, I'm assuming that you're using mupen64plus? Try setting the renderer to Glide64 or glN64.
I'm actually using Project 64. Long story short, this is a backup/work computer, and I like to back up games I don't have installed often, and it turns out PJ64 runs perfectly under WINE, just double-click and it starts without issue.
penguinflyer5234
Sheep (Developer)
Sheep (Developer)

Maxaxle wrote:Worst games: Yoshi's Story (the controls feel a little weird considering it's a platformer, and the game itself is really WTF if you've never played it, like Yoshi's eaten the wrong kind of Magic Mushroom)
Those crazy baby Yoshis; they need all those melons to become sane again!
Shade

Post by Shade »

Maxaxle wrote:Worst games: Yoshi's Story (the controls feel a little weird considering it's a platformer, and the game itself is really WTF if you've never played it, like Yoshi's eaten the wrong kind of Magic Mushroom)
It's called trying to appeal to kids. The game is supposed to look like it's out of a a drawing book.
It's a perfectly decent game, if very short and rather easy.
Maxaxle

Post by Maxaxle »

Shade wrote: It's called trying to appeal to kids. The game is supposed to look like it's out of a a drawing book.
I'm saying that it's not like Mario, but instead more like a drug trip. Less cute and more bizarre.

Kind of a shame that there's no tutorial at the beginning of the game. Or is there?