Touhou

Anything not related to Egoboo.

Moderator: Developers

Agent of Dread
Protector (Senior Member)

Re: Touhou

Post by Agent of Dread »

Finally got that bastard of a boss Utsuho. No continues either.
Her final spellcard is surprisingly easy. As opposed to frickin' Nuclear Fusion. >:/
- Linktree: linktr.ee/trilbs -
Agent of Dread

Post by Agent of Dread »

Ugh, Final-boss-who-looks-like-Neku is frustrating to beat. >:T
octagon
Darkshine Knight (Extremist fanatic)

Post by octagon »

Neku? The only character of that name I know is that remarkably triangular dude from "The World Ends With You", but since no Touhou character looks remotely like him and you aren't fond of jRPGs anyway, that can't be who you're talking about.
Agent of Dread

Post by Agent of Dread »

It is who I'm talking about, lol. The final boss of Ten Desires.
Or it could be Sabitsuki who I'm thinking she looks like. Hmm.
I would probably have 1cc'd it ages ago if I could get used to the gameplay changes. This whole extra 'trance' thing is more than I ever stop to consider while playing. :?

Also, Koishi's first spellcard completely demolishes me, lol.

And Touhou 13.5 has landed! The demo, at least.

EDIT: And it's every bit as awesome as it should be! Marisa's new design is superb, and playing as Ichirin + Unzan is probably the coolest thing ever.
I cannot wait for the full game. :D
octagon

Post by octagon »

I finally brought myself to play Touhou again.
I realized how well-designed the visuals and spellcards of Ten Desires are... but I still hate that damn Divine Spirits system so much. Most life/spellcard pieces are too hard to pick up in my opinion... getting rewarded for capturing a spellcard shouldn't be a matter of luck once you caught the spellcard D:

I have some personal problems with risk/reward systems in general, though - they always cause me to play very recklessly attempting to get any every possible item or kill, thinking I'd need the bonuses to compensate my bad playing, though taking the risks is the reason I need them in the first place.

Still, I just want my freaking extends :waah:

I also played some Mountain of Faith and reached Kanako on the first try (not counting a 2-minute restart after slamming into a lone fairy bullet). it went fairly well by my standards, but how are you supposed to play with the excitement of capturing Illusionary Dominance and the awesomeness of Sanae's theme turning my entire body into mush?

Seriously, I'm still shaking D:

Replay
Agent of Dread

Post by Agent of Dread »

I like Sanae's stage theme, but I don't like Sanae so it's okay yes :^)

And I don't really mind the spirits system of Ten Desires because of the lowered overall difficulty, it's Yoshika and her stupid near-invincibility and me still not being used to manually activating trances and final-boss-whatserface's dickish spellcards that cause me to fail every time.
Shade
Potion Mimic (Senior Member)

Post by Shade »

I've never had issues collecting the spirits dropped by bosses. Dunno what's the deal with that.

As for the other spirits, try using Reimu. She draws all spirits currently on-screen towards herself while in trance, so you just need to memorize a little where the good spots to manually activate trance are.
Even then, relying on Extends is a bad idea in TD, especially because you get so little. Even if you were to use trance perfectly and collect the highest amount of purple spirits possible, I don't think it's possible to actually max out your lives. You'll get 4 Extends if you use trance well, more like 2 or 3 if you don't. TD emphasizes "don't die" even more than any other game in the series. Bomb. Spam trance. But don't die.

Actually, TD probably puts more emphasis on skill than on memorization, at least compared to the other Touhou games. This is especially notable in Hard Mode, where only few of the patterns require perfect memorization to overcome - you just need to be good. In fact, TD on Hard is really damn fun.
Agent of Dread

Post by Agent of Dread »

I played TD on hard and only got a little bit less far than I would on normal. It's refreshingly challenging, much unlike UFO on hard (brbdying).

Which seems strange since I can't 1cc on normal to begin with. :U
Shade

Post by Shade »

TD having good ol' Spell Practice also helps a lot. I can capture (or at least survive, in Yoshika's case) nearly every spell outside of Stage 6 even on Hard; it's the non-spells that usually get me. Those arrows and their hitboxes, I hate them. xD
Nonetheless, TD was the first Touhou game I 1cc'd on Hard, and for good reason.

Also, UFO is nuts.
Agent of Dread

Post by Agent of Dread »

I like UFO, though, because even if you're doing awfully at one point, you still have the fundamental ability to do really well on your UFOs and make a remarkable comeback. It synergises quite well with the higher difficulty and CLIPDEATH HELL.
Shade

Post by Shade »

And then UFO has Byakuren, who will completely slaughter you even if you bring 8 extra lives and 8 bombs to the fight.
I honestly have an easier time fighting Nue with basically no resources whatsoever than I do fighting Byakuren with all the resources the game will let me have.

(To give you an idea:
I can enter the fight with Nue with 0 extra lives and two or three bombs and will beat 7 or 8 of her spellcards, which is more than Byakuren even has.
I can enter the fight with Byakuren with 8 extra lives and 8 bombs and will still lose.)
Agent of Dread

Post by Agent of Dread »

Byakuren honestly isn't that bad. The only spellcards I consistently have trouble with are the one with the little curvy laser things and her final.
Her very first and the one borrowed from Shiki occasionally give me trouble because of clipping deaths, and St Nikou's Air Scroll sometimes.

That one nonspell where she does squares around the screen though, that is insane. Good thing a bomb will quickly take care of it.
Agent of Dread

Post by Agent of Dread »

Played some EoSD on a whim today, might have been because I was listening to remixes of Patchouli's theme.
Marisa B on normal, because I hadn't seen her ending.

Can't say I'm displeased with this. Caught Red Magic, and survived Scarlet Shoot. Hell yeah. xD
Shade

Post by Shade »

Decent.
Shade

Post by Shade »

After not touching Touhou for a while, I just 1cc'd PoFV on Lunatic. With lives to spare, even!
Replay, if you're interested.

I feel like the AI was kind to me, though. I've never seen Shikieiki die that fast!