Wanting to have a somewhat serious discussion here.

Anything not related to Egoboo.

Moderator: Developers

Agent of Dread
Protector (Senior Member)

Wanting to have a somewhat serious discussion here.

Post by Agent of Dread »

It's coming to a point in my life where I need to start thinking about my career. I'm really interested in getting into animation, and have been debating whether or not to pirate a copy of Adobe Flash, because that would be a great place to get started.

On another line, there's my art. In the midst of a discussion I really regret having with my girlfriend, I brought up some unavoidable issues in my art such as "My art isn't going anywhere", "They're just pictures, not art", and "But it's said that a picture speaks a thousand words." "Well mine don't say anything!", and as much as it was partly just me in an awful funk, there's some truth to it. I feel like I have all the skills and setup I need to turn what I do into something amazing and actually meaningful, but just can't get started on the right foot. I'm aware of the end result, I'm just not sure how the journey goes.

Can I get some thoughts and anything above that on this?

(By the way, if you're looking to get proof of that stuff about my art, here is a quick link to my dA, but please ignore the Featured Deviation unless you feel like being a jerk. :))
- Linktree: linktr.ee/trilbs -
woodmouse
Monolich (Senior Member)
Monolich (Senior Member)

Re: Wanting to have a somewhat serious discussion here.

Post by woodmouse »

Pirating Adobe things isn't wise. I don't have personal experience of that, but a friend of mine does, and at least Photoshop has something that if it's pirated, it won't work even if you buy a legit copy and gives an error message that you have a pirated copy. So yeah, I'd advise against that. :P Although I don't know about Flash... but well. And they tend to have viruses. :wink:

BTW I'm not an anti-pirate guy, like you probably knew already, but Adobe softwares seem to be a bad thing to do it with. But I might be wrong, it could be a finnish thing. :?

Oh and the featured deviation is awesome, but the eyes are scary when they go over the hair
Once upon a time, when unicorns roamed the earth...
Seth
Chest Mimic (Community member)
Chest Mimic (Community member)

Post by Seth »

¶ Determined artists never feel like they are “good” enough; there is no limit on improvement. If you think your work is unsatisfactory, you can examine what is wrong with it—or allow someone else to. As long as you do not delude yourself into believing your work is good, you can always improve.
¶ I personally do not look down upon stealing simply because it is illegal. However, this forum may not be the appropriate place to ask such quæstions…
Cimeries
Lumberjack (Developer)
Lumberjack (Developer)

Post by Cimeries »

My 2¢:

@Career - It is indeed a point in your life where you need to start thinking about your career, if you ask me, it doesn't mean you should already have a specific idea, just a general direction. A lot of things can change by the time you're through with school, so you should just push yourself gently towards it for now and let the pieces fall into place. Try to cover different fields and experience a little bit of everything that even remotely interests you, you might be surprised.

You'll have plenty of time to decide on the specifics once you're a little more mature and have a head on your shoulders, and you should always keep in mind that it's possible you won't be in your chosen profession forever. Adults aren't immune to changing their preferences, you know.

@Morality of pirating Flash - This is one of those situations where in my opinion you really should not pirate it. I'm not sure how to explain the logic behind it, but think of it as using a stolen paintbrush - somewhere down there in your head, it just takes away from the value of what you make with it.
I suggest you get a "trial" (or an actual trial :P) and see if it's even something you want to get serious about, then save up and buy the actual thing when/if you think you're ready to make animations like all the big kids.
:wink:
Agent of Dread

Post by Agent of Dread »

@Cime and Seth: Thanks, I'll be thinking about what you've said very closely.

@Flash: Alternately, I might be able to get a student discount at some point, but I'll give the trial a shot first.
- Linktree: linktr.ee/trilbs -