Touhou

Anything not related to Egoboo.

Moderator: Developers

Shade
Potion Mimic (Senior Member)

Touhou

Post by Shade »

Because the awesomeness that is this series needs its own thread.
octagon
Darkshine Knight (Extremist fanatic)

Re: Touhou

Post by octagon »

Let me inaugurate this thread by derailing it...
...oh wait, this doesn't work.
Agent of Dread
Protector (Senior Member)

Post by Agent of Dread »

Slowly... getting... better!
- Linktree: linktr.ee/trilbs -
octagon

Post by octagon »

I tried Ten Desires yesterday, and I ridiculously failed. Mainly because a) the game is ridiculously flashy and especially with few bullets around, it's hard to distinguish between bullets, gratuitous GFX, and pickups, and b) greed often got me killed when I tried to gaffle those Divine Spirits. I'll try to just ignore them alltogether. :S
Agent of Dread

Post by Agent of Dread »

Marisa's second spellcard is way better, what have I been doing this whole time? Anyway, got to fifth stage, was raped.

Also, do freaking want:
octagon

Post by octagon »

Agent of Dread wrote:Marisa's second spellcard is way better, what have I been doing this whole time?
Wanna do it in real life?
Instructions here.
Agent of Dread wrote:Also, do freaking want:
Access to the SDM library is what I want much more. Because seriously, books. About Gensokyo, furthermore.

Fun fact: According to my mother, Reimu's theme is "damn obnoxious disco crap":
Last edited by octagon on Thu Mar 29, 2012 1:06 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Agent of Dread

Post by Agent of Dread »

Judging by those screenshots I don't think I'll be moving away from the Umineko fighter for this one. :P
Shade

Post by Shade »

octagon wrote:I tried Ten Desires yesterday, and I ridiculously failed. Mainly because a) the game is ridiculously flashy and especially with few bullets around, it's hard to distinguish between bullets, gratuitous GFX, and pickups, and b) greed often got me killed when I tried to gaffle those Divine Spirits. I'll try to just ignore them alltogether. :S
Don't ignore the divine spirits, they're important. Without the blue/black ones you get no trance, and without trance the game is much more difficult. Besides, the purple and green spirits are the only way to get extra bombs and extends in Ten Desires - no enemy or boss just drops the [1up]s or [ B ]s you might be used to.
Agent of Dread wrote:Marisa's second spellcard is way better, what have I been doing this whole time? Anyway, got to fifth stage, was raped.
Master Spark is indeed much more powerful, and the laser shot is extremely useful against stage enemies. However, she does have two disadvantages compared to Marisa A:
- Master Spark slows you down considerably. This is bad if you bomb during the regular stage when there are a lot of enemies on the screen that drop items - you'll miss most of them unless you bomb above the POC to begin with.
- The lasers are significantly weaker than Marisa A's shot, so she'll do worse against bosses.
Agent of Dread wrote:Also, do freaking want:
Me too.
And a figurine of Satori.
And of Koishi.
...I want a figurine of every Touhou character! q_q
octagon wrote:Fun fact: According to my mother, Reimu's theme is "damn obnoxious disco crap":
As evidence shows, your mom has no taste whatsoever. Neither in music, nor in games, nor in anything else.
Last edited by Shade on Thu Mar 29, 2012 3:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
octagon

Post by octagon »

Oh, apparently I broke the forums by hotlinking an image from the Touhou wiki. :S Changed it to a normal URL link.
Agent of Dread wrote:Judging by those screenshots I don't think I'll be moving away from the Umineko fighter for this one. :P
Anyway, I wouldn't really call these screenshots. (on another note, I think I'll try Higurashi and/or Umineko soon.)
This video gives a decent impression of what Scarlet Weather Rhapsody is like - from what I've heard (I'm not familiar with any other fighting games, so I can't compare), it's a lot more projectile-based and defensive than other fighters. Either way, the story modes are kind of awesome, it still has genuine Touhou flavour, there's a lot of variety between skillsets and the spellcard system allows quite a bit of customization and tactical micromanagement (those both being things I like).
To be honest, I'm mostly saying this because I want to netplay with you. Time zones and distance lag might make it really difficult, but I'd like to try at least.
Shade wrote:[quote="Agent of Dread"=Fun fact: According to my mother, Reimu's theme is "damn obnoxious disco crap":
[/quote]
Oh dammit. So you know that "octagon" is just an alias of AoD!?
Shade

Post by Shade »

octagon wrote:Oh, apparently I broke the forums by hotlinking an image from the Touhou wiki. :S Changed it to a normal URL link.
That's what caused all those #503s!? D:
octagon wrote:Oh dammit. So you know that "octagon" is just an alias of AoD!?
Copy-paste failure reveals a lot of interesting secrets. :teach:
octagon

Post by octagon »

Yeah, the 503 started once I had posted the hotlinked image, and a bit later, the site gave me a 403 Forbidden when I tried to access the image normally (without hotlinkage). I don't know if blocked hotlinks can cause 503s, but apparently, either way, the Touhou Wiki gets pissy if you hotlink something. Don't do it.
Agent of Dread

Post by Agent of Dread »

Dude, I get lag when I host Golden Fantasia against my ex, and we live 75km from each other. Good luck. :P
octagon

Post by octagon »

Non-Egoboo internet pals infected with Touhou:
1/x
Apparently, even a Naruto fan is not necessarily beyond hope in means of taste.
octagon

Post by octagon »

A WINNER IS ME
This feels like a great accomplishment, though the game disagrees.
I reached Remilia with a continue left, and having three bombs left for the last spell actually saved my ass (despite Remi's bat jerkassery). If said Last Spell was one second longer, I would've lost.
Normal Mode's Agni Shine High Level is actually easier than some of Patchy's easy-type spells, by the way. I caught it. (And Remilia's 'Star of David' spell...)

Also, 2/x.
Shade

Post by Shade »

Hm, not too bad.
Now work towards completing the game without continues. :)
If you're comfortable with the earlier stages, Practice Mode is a massive time-saver if you want to practice the later stages without having to replay the whole game every single time. You only get the regular two lives and no continues, though - but this also means that if you can beat every stage in practice mode, you'll have a good shot at 1ccing the game.

It can't really be easier than on Easy mode. Maybe you had a really low rank at that point? It's actually possible to get a lower rank on Normal than on Easy.

Grats on Star of David. It's really simple if you stay near the bottom, though.
Actually, now that I've faced her more often, most of Remilias spells and attacks (except for Red Magic and Curse of Vlad Tepes) seem pretty easy.