Awesome VGM Thread

Anything not related to Egoboo.

Moderator: Developers

Agent of Dread
Protector (Senior Member)

Re: Awesome VGM Thread

Post by Agent of Dread »

I have been meaning to get Bastion in some form for some time now.
- Linktree: linktr.ee/trilbs -
Ditto
Jungle Warrior (Committed contributor)

Post by Ditto »

Buy it on a steam sale for 33% off or better yet 66% off, it seems to be on sale often and it was the best $10 I've spent in a pretty long time (I'd say the best $10, but that'd be disgracing Portal and I don't want that).
"It only hurts when my squad won't f***ing heal me."

http://guildedage.net/
Agent of Dread

Post by Agent of Dread »

I would have liked to get it on my new Xbox though, because gorgeous 1080p is gorgeous.
octagon
Darkshine Knight (Extremist fanatic)

Post by octagon »

Yeah, I love the Bastion soundtrack as well. I heard Bynn The Breaker somehow stays as awesome as it is no matter how many times I listen to it, and The Bottom Feeders is one of the few pieces of dubstep I really like, as opposed to just considering it fairly good. I could say something about Spike in a Rail as well... and The Mancer's Dilemma... and A Proper Story... and the vocal songs... but I'll stop now, as I probably would have to discuss each theme of the entire game.

Weird voice lines from Bastion? I don't really mind, since it's Logan Cunningham.

Radiant Historia (Octagon's Shamelessly Plugged Game Of The Month) has an amazing soundtrack. You'll probably enjoy Wildness and Toughness if you like the Bastion soundtrack, Where the Wind and Feathers return does an amazing job of influencing the player's emotions, and The Red Locus kicks ass.

I'd list some songs from FF6 and Chrono Trigger as well, but I'll do so later when I've got the time for something like that.
Agent of Dread

Post by Agent of Dread »

If you weren't already buying/wanting VVVVVV, here is more incentive:
octagon

Post by octagon »

I've been really enjoying some tunes from Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow recently.

Forget the excuse plot, narm and gratuitous nudity and grossness (though there's less of the latter than in SotN), AoS is kind of awesome.
Though, whatever people actually said in Japanese, the voice acting was horrible as usual. If you use the Tiny Devil soul to hurl (awesome yet practical), Soma seems to exclaim "Kieshacke" ("gravel pickaxe" in German), "Schießkacke" ("shooting crap"), "shiitake" or "Keysucker". And the final boss yells "Toaster!!", hurling fireballs at you.
Last edited by octagon on Thu May 17, 2012 8:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Agent of Dread

Post by Agent of Dread »

The BGM in the first Castlevania can be hella catchy at times. :P
Umineko has some incredibly awesome tracks:

What they didn't have in graphics with the novels they made up for a superb musical score.
octagon

Post by octagon »

Why is all the Subterranean Animism music so stupendously, breath-takingly awesome?

Satori Maiden ~ 3rd Eye (and Last Remote) is what got me interested in Touhou, when I first played SA, I was impressed how amazing even the stage 1 themes are, and now I'm realizing the greatness of the few themes I sort of used to ignore, like Heartfelt Fancy (meoooooow~) and Corpse Voyage ~ Be of Good Cheer ("Ta-daaaaa!")...
Due to the way the overall melodies "stay in flow" I like the SA music even more than that of Imperishable Night with its frantic piano bits...
I really have to master this game. Right now, in easy mode, I tend to make only one stupid mistake during stage 1-4 (Parsee's spells, Unnatural Phenomenon, one of Satori's Yukari cards or a random fairy bullet is usually what causes that single death), and then make a horrible trainwreck out of stage 5 and 6 and get killed by Utsuho.
Last edited by octagon on Sun Sep 09, 2012 8:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Agent of Dread

Post by Agent of Dread »

The Maid and the Pocketwatch of Death or whatever that one's called is a pretty awesome theme.
Agent of Dread

Post by Agent of Dread »

Random epic BGM dump. Really good 'playtime is over' feel to it.
octagon

Post by octagon »

Some of the PC-98 tunes are wonderful.
Shade
Potion Mimic (Senior Member)
Potion Mimic (Senior Member)

Post by Shade »

Well, ZUN has always made great music.
But yeah, that tune's great.
octagon

Post by octagon »

A Chrono Trigger analysis essay I've been reading described really well what's so good about Yasunori Mitsuda's (and Nobuo Uematsu's) music:
[…] the Square team were very fortunate to have the right man on the job, musically, in Yasunori Mitsuda. Most musicians have are stronger in one aspect of their craft than others, and Mitsuda, though enormously talented, is not a character man. To be fair to him, most actors and most writers can’t really portray every single character well, so why should we expect that musicians should? Nobuo Uematsu absolutely nailed most of the characters for Final Fantasy 6 (see that write-up here) by encapsulating their stories. Uematsu, at his best, is able to capture a large range of emotions in a big story, and somehow compress them. (Listen to Cyan’s Theme or the Final Fantasy 7 Main Theme, you’ll hear it.) For characters that experience a lot of development, this is great! The music reminds us of the whole character. But Chrono Trigger’s characters undergo very little development, and so Yasunori Mitsuda is able to concentrate on other things.

Mitsuda’s gift is almost the opposite of Uematsu’s: Mitsuda is very good at accurately expressing the mood of a single moment. Specifically, Mitsuda is able to fully comprehend the meaning of a moment, and to delve deep into the most authentic emotion that the moment should elicit. He goes way beyond, ‘sad’ ‘happy’ or ‘frustrating’ into extremely fine shades of emotion that are incredibly specific to the moment at hand. At his best, Mitsuda is able to so accurately isolate a complex emotion that it can be difficult to describe in words what Mitsuda is describing in music. Fictional humans--and maybe a few robots, reptites, and other creatures--experience a variety of these emotions, so Mitsuda’s style is not the best musical vernacular for explaining round characters. What we get instead are really great snapshots of characters that embellish the one-dimensional coolness of the characters, rather than fleshing out their other aspects.
Cimeries
Lumberjack (Developer)
Lumberjack (Developer)

Post by Cimeries »

:wink:
Ditto

Post by Ditto »

songs, y u no exit brain