Iji

Anything not related to Egoboo.

Moderator: Developers

octagon
Darkshine Knight (Extremist fanatic)

Iji

Post by octagon »

So; here is the topic about Iji. We (me in particular) have talked about this game so much recently, that it seems necessary to create this thing to make the Videogame Thread free for other things again...
octagon

Post by octagon »

8+2 Ways to defeat enemies without stretching your kill counter
Mean, but fun if you happen to be a sociopathic sadist like Asha.

* Crack them and let them blow up themselves
* Kick a turret head into them
* Make them shoot a wall directly in front of them
* Lure them into a Blit nest
* Kick them into a wall repeatedly (like a Tasen Commander does with a Komato Trooper ;)), then finish them off by cracking, blitting, turretkicking or reflecting
* Make them shoot an explosive crate
* Mount a shredder, drive it into them and dismount before it hits
* Open gates to let Tasen and Komato fight each other
* Reflect a rocket
* Catch a rocket
Last edited by octagon on Sat Jan 15, 2011 9:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
octagon

Post by octagon »

Played through the game in Normal!

Results:

Innocent (yeah, I made it. :D)
Hopeless (not just over 400, but >550 damage. I told you I suck at games.)
Skilled (more than 60 cracks. Slightly missed Nanogeek...)

The Annihilators electrocution attack (DEEEEEEESTROOOOOOY) is Nightmare Fuel. They vaporise a Tasen Elite just by grabbing...

I didn't expect such a happy ending - both humans and Tasen survived. Iji is a true heroine.

I admit it was hard to figure out how to avoid killing Asha.

Why was Tor such a Bullet Hell guy, by the way?
Shade
Potion Mimic (Senior Member)

Post by Shade »

Congrats! :?
octagon wrote:Innocent (yeah, I made it. :D)
Well done.
octagon wrote:Hopeless (not just over 400, but >550 damage. I told you I suck at games.)
That's what you get from trying to kill everything by reflecting things back at it. :?
octagon wrote:Skilled (more than 60 cracks. Slightly missed Nanogeek...)
Had that the first time around, too. To obtain the Nano Master rank, you're pretty much forced to also crack some enemies and/or turrets (preferably turrets because they don't move). Without messing up.
octagon wrote:The Annihilators electrocution attack (DEEEEEEESTROOOOOOY) is Nightmare Fuel. They vaporise a Tasen Elite just by grabbing...
Heh. :P
Did you know they can do that to Iji as well? She doesn't instantly die, but it's still three points of damage. Annihilators are pretty much the only type of enemy in Iji that are better left alone even when you're not doing a pacifist run.
octagon wrote:I didn't expect such a happy ending - both humans and Tasen survived. Iji is a true heroine.
That's your reward for being a pacifist. If you have more than 50 kills, however, the ending is mostly the same - the Komato leave because the Tasen in fact have been wiped out completely.
octagon wrote:I admit it was hard to figure out how to avoid killing Asha.
Yeah, that one was genius. Who would've thought that in order to be a true pacifist, you need to whip out the most badass (non-secret) weapon in existance? :P
octagon wrote:Why was Tor such a Bullet Hell guy, by the way?
You don't know the true meaning of "Bullet Hell" until you've played Touhou. I dare you to. Tor, especially on Normal, is Kindergarten Mode in comparison. Even on Ultimortal with maximum charge.
Last edited by Shade on Fri Sep 10, 2010 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
octagon

Post by octagon »

Clonks wrote:Did you know they can do that to Iji as well? She doesn't instantly die, but it's still three points of damage.
I know. But it is way eerier with the Tasen.
Clonks wrote:You don't know the true meaning of "Bullet Hell" until you've played Touhou. I dare you to. Tor, especially on Normal, is Kindergarten Mode in comparison. Even on Ultimortal with maximum charge.
D:
I admit that though he was very hard for me, he is still easier than that insect-riding boss (the one in the cat cave) from Eternal Daughter... but ED is buggy in means of collision test, so you get hit by things that missed you.

I defeated Tor solely by reflecting the charged shots... and I let him hit me with the weakest attacks he got... StrategyWiki calls them Ripper, Megamissile, Arch Devastator and Rage Bomb. And Ultra Shotgun, which is just ridiculous.
The reason: I read at TVTropes and StrategyWiki that his AI will prefer attacks that hit you previously... so I let the weak ones hit me to make him prefer them. Then I could simply dodge them when he used them afterwards.

I didn't even use the Massacre. I tried it before, and it is slightly disappointing. Reflecting charged shots is far more efficient... and it makes me feel guilty to use the weapon that brave Hel Sarie was murdered with.

But still - after 19 failed attempts (seriously.) I had studied his attack patterns so well that I could easily deal even with that very bullet-hellish attack that first hits all even rows and than all uneven ones. Strategy Wiki says it's called Death Hail. A fitting name, if you ask me.

The meanest attacks for me were Zica Burst, Death Hail, Fractal Rockets (but only if he stomped me into the air before) and Tyrian Claw.

EDIT: WHAT? StrategyWiki says these charged fat blue mega-MPFB shots that drained half his HP if you reflected them are PHANTOM HAMMERS?? They only deal about 3 damage to Iji! :o
Shade

Post by Shade »

octagon wrote:I know. But it is way eerier with the Tasen.
Yeah, I'll give you that. :P
octagon wrote:
Clonks wrote:You don't know the true meaning of "Bullet Hell" until you've played Touhou. I dare you to. Tor, especially on Normal, is Kindergarten Mode in comparison. Even on Ultimortal with maximum charge.
D:
I admit that though he was very hard for me, he is still easier than that insect-riding boss (the one in the cat cave) from Eternal Daughter... but ED is buggy in means of collision test, so you get hit by things that missed you.
Huh? ED's collision detection works perfectly fine. It's just that Mia's hit box is about as large as her sprite, while in most other games, the hitbox of any given character is significantly smaller than their sprite.
And... The first boss was the hardest to you? ...seriously? I would've understood if you had said that Mia's brother was the hardest boss to you, but that insect rider? He's cake. And he reappears as a normal enemy later in the game, except that at that point, he deals 8 damage per hit instead of 2.
octagon wrote:I defeated Tor solely by reflecting the charged shots...
That's kinda how it's intended, actually. If you don't reflect his charged shots, he'll phantom hammer the crap out of you, so you can't really beat him with normal weapons. You can, however, whip out strong weapons while he just stands there shooting you with normal attacks to help deplete his HP a bit faster.
octagon wrote:and I let him hit me with the weakest attacks he got... StrategyWiki calls them Ripper, Megamissile, Arch Devastator and Rage Bomb. And Ultra Shotgun, which is just ridiculous.
The reason: I read at TVTropes and StrategyWiki that his AI will prefer attacks that hit you previously... so I let the weak ones hit me to make him prefer them. Then I could simply dodge them when he used them afterwards.
Even if it is true that he'll prefer attacks that hit you before, you should try avoiding them altogether instead of getting hit at all. You can do it fine on Normal, as he drops two red nanofields whenever he flies off to use one of his nastier attacks for +4 HP, or even +6 if you maxed out Assimilate. On Hard and Extreme, however, that drops to +2 HP (+4 with Assimilate). And on Ultimortal, red nanofields kinda don't exist, so you absolutely won't want to get hit there.
octagon wrote:But still - after 19 failed attempts (seriously.) I had studied his attack patterns so well that I could easily deal even with that very bullet-hellish attack that first hits all even rows and than all uneven ones. Strategy Wiki says it's called Death Hail. A fitting name, if you ask me.
It's kinda easy to avoid, actually; I never got hit by it yet. Ever. All you need to do is stand where the target signs don't appear, and then take a step to the side once the first row of lasers has rained down.
octagon wrote:EDIT: WHAT? StrategyWiki says these charged fat blue mega-MPFB shots that drained half his HP if you reflected them are PHANTOM HAMMERS?? They only deal about 3 damage to Iji! :o
No, they actually aren't. However, if he collects three of them (in other words, fail to reflect three of his charged shots over the course of the fight), he'll fire a screen-filling laser at you that is nigh impossible to dodge and kills you instantly, regardless of your remaining health. That is the Phantom Hammer.
...or so I've heard. It hasn't ever happened to me, actually.
Agent of Dread
Protector (Senior Member)

Post by Agent of Dread »

Actually, the Phantom Hammer killed Hel Sarie and half her ship when Tor fired it from his Humongous Mecha. Just saying.
- Linktree: linktr.ee/trilbs -
octagon

Post by octagon »

Oops.

But since what happened at Ciretako, it still makes me feel guilty. Though Ansaksie is right... "Violence is a tool that should never be used. But if it needs to, it should be used with utmost force."
And... I would feel even more guilty when using the Phantom Hammer. :|
octagon

Post by octagon »

Who exactly is Naotgerai? Can you meet her?

And ... sadly, I read about Yukabacera somewhere. Is he friendly if you meet him when playing pacifist and being nice to Vateilika?

And what happened to the Tasen with the girlfriend? Did they (?ambiguous gender?) just die after teleporting into the Assassin cellar?

And what happened to the Tasen who had a crush on Iji?

And why did Ansaksie instruct her people to attack Iji if she should show up down there?

And why did she want the audio log of Tor?

And is there anything special about that Kiron, aside from the fact that it has a name?

And can you actually get Blit-Away-Spray? And is there an ad for the CFIS?

Tons of unclarities.
Agent of Dread

Post by Agent of Dread »

Naotgerai is a friend of Yukabacera's. You don't meet them.

Yukabacera is always hostile, you need to kill him in Sector 6 to get the Scrambler.

The Tasen Les Yay couple escaped up the closed off area before Deep Sector, and Vateilika too if you're a pacifist.

The crush guy was a one shot joke. Nothing comes from that.

So she didn't blow her own cover. Listen to the Assassin, dammit. :P

To see what Iji said, I think.

He goes on to become the next General. That's all I know.

No, and no.
octagon

Post by octagon »

Thank you for answering my questions...
AoD wrote:Yukabacera is always hostile, you need to kill him in Sector 6 to get the Scrambler.
Oh damn... why didn't Vateilika tell Yuka about Iji? :cry:
Anyway, is it implied anywhere that Yukabacera could escape? I liked his logs.
octagon

Post by octagon »

Take "3 cans later", reverse it and speed it up to get a song that is what I imagine that elevator music (including evergreens like "Welcome to Ciretako" and "Hel Sarie will kick you in the face") to be like.
Last edited by octagon on Sat Sep 11, 2010 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Agent of Dread

Post by Agent of Dread »

He's a pretty damn tank Tasen Soldier and even has a CFIS, so I think he survives if you don't go after him. :P
octagon

Post by octagon »

Sounds like that. Also, I heard that he can dodge EVERYTHING... and I wonder how long it takes him to figure out how to get a Velocithor? He already has a CFIS, and I'm sure he can use MPFB - after all, he knows how to get one, and Vateilika can use it too.

With a Velocithor, he would be a greater threat for Annihilators than Iji herself. I guess he wouldn't survive if they DEEEESTROOOOYed his nanofield (though he possibly altered it to resist brute electric force), but I'm sure he is too smart to let them get him.
Agent of Dread

Post by Agent of Dread »

No, he's not a great dodger, it's just a normal Soldier's behaviour in that regard. But he does run super fast. Maybe he had one too many hot drinks. :P