Rock music, Religion, and Fanaticism

Anything not related to Egoboo.

Moderator: Developers

Cimeries
Lumberjack (Developer)
Lumberjack (Developer)

Re: Religious people are scary

Post by Cimeries »

bgbirdsey wrote:does not serve the purpose [of] expanding the egoboo community.
Yes, I suspect that this is why it's in the off-topic section. :wink:
:wink:
bgbirdsey
{]-[0{0|307 (Developer)
{]-[0{0|307 (Developer)

Post by bgbirdsey »

The entire site is supposed to support this goal.
Cimeries
Lumberjack (Developer)
Lumberjack (Developer)

Post by Cimeries »

That might be a little hard to do in a section that clearly states "Anything not related to Egoboo".

Supposed to, yes. In practice, from my observation, you have a hefty chunk of people that come here mostly for off-topic discussions and forum games. Stupid discussions, crazy discussions. Like this one.
octagon
Darkshine Knight (Extremist fanatic)
Darkshine Knight (Extremist fanatic)

Post by octagon »

bgbirdsey wrote:This topic comes close to violating the terms of service, plus it is s divisive issue that does not serve the purpose expanding the egoboo community.
I never considered this discussion offensive or divisive. Its generalizing title and introduction is exaggerated, and it is just about not being able to comprehend fanatics or excesses of organized religion. Nothing against religious people in general.
Shade
Potion Mimic (Senior Member)
Potion Mimic (Senior Member)

Post by Shade »

I can't help but smile at the fact that it took him almost a year after the topic was posted to come to this conclusion.
bgbirdsey
{]-[0{0|307 (Developer)
{]-[0{0|307 (Developer)

Post by bgbirdsey »

When there is a lot of traffic on the site, very off topic posts are basically invisible. When there are only 1 post a day...

The reason that "off-topic" posts should still build the egoboo community is that they show up when you search for new posts, which is what any new user is going to do. Fantasy PnP games build up egoboo. Things that cause negative discussions all over the internet (like real world discussions of religion, politics, gender issues, and other things) are likely to cause division between egoboo enthusiasts with different viewpoints on the topic.
Cimeries
Lumberjack (Developer)
Lumberjack (Developer)

Post by Cimeries »

If those people can't accept that others may have opinions that don't coincide with theirs, I would say that is their own problem.

How good of a person do you think they would be anyway if they get put off by someone who thinks differently?
bgbirdsey
{]-[0{0|307 (Developer)
{]-[0{0|307 (Developer)

Post by bgbirdsey »

Honestly, I don't really care what you all think about this, but doing things that are likely to insult a potential egoboo community members is not OK.
Cimeries
Lumberjack (Developer)
Lumberjack (Developer)

Post by Cimeries »

Sorry if my tone seems aggressive, by the way, it's hard to pull off a neutral tone in an internet discussion...
bgbirdsey wrote:Honestly, I don't really care what you all think about this, but doing things that are likely to insult a potential egoboo community members is not OK.
Here is our problem, you don't want to insult anyone when some people will be insulted by just about anything. For instance, I can say I am insulted by your lack of care for our opinion*, which I am, even if only slightly. We weren't attacking anyone in particular, we were stating our opinions and explaining the reasons behind them. A person who starts reading this topic from your post would get the impression that we were blatantly flaming everyone. Notice that Purplesquerkle, who is a pretty religious person wasn't offended, in fact, he gave his own point of view and explained it as well.

*(How does that work, anyway? You care more about the well being of hypothetical people who haven't even joined yet, than that of people who are already here?)

I agree that as a small community with our own private jokes and so called "deep" discussions, a lot of people will be put off, but at the same time this also attracts a crowd of its own. I recently joined another small community like ours with its own long established quirks and outspoken philosophies, most of which I don't even agree with. About a week in, and I'm having a blast so far.

Sorry for the ever growing wall of text but I'll just add a final point: You will never be able to please everyone, and the "image" you seem to want the forums fit into, I'm not sure there's a place for an "image" in an open source project.

Edit: I'll go ahead and change the name of the thread to something else, someone who isn't Woodmouse would have probably given it a more tactful name.
woodmouse
Monolich (Senior Member)
Monolich (Senior Member)

Post by woodmouse »

Cimeries wrote:Edit: I'll go ahead and change the name of the thread to something else, I agree that someone who isn't Woodmouse would have probably given it a more tactful name.
I didn't name the thread "Religious people are scary", but whoever split it from somewhere else did, as far as I know. Although I said "religious people are scary" so yeah. :P

But yeah, I didn't mean to offend anyone by the "anti-religiousness", it's just that to me it doesn't make sense when people's religious views change depending on the other person's views. You know, it's typocritical (with a typo on purpose since I don't know if it's the only typo in it). If I'd want to offend religious people, I'd be doing it in a completely different way. :mrgreen:

Oh, and it's not that I'd hate religions in general, but like Cimeries said, I agree the big religions tend to be tomatoes. The potato religions are often far more logical, although I know it's not the point of religions to make perfect sense. :P

Well, not that I'd be the one to say which is good and bad even in my opinion, since other days I'm 100% atheist, some days I believe there's something, etc. but most of the time I just don't know.
Once upon a time, when unicorns roamed the earth...