Kursed Weapon/Bow in other hand "feature" (old?)

Report bugs, errors and balance issues you may encounter ingame here.

Moderator: Developers

Maxaxle
Darkshine Knight (Extremist fanatic)

Kursed Weapon/Bow in other hand "feature" (old?)

Post by Maxaxle »

Perfect place to test this glitch: the Rogue Starter.
1. Grab a Cinqueta (spelling?) that you know is Kursed.
2. Grab a Bow.
3. Use the Bow.

Note that, although there is a message for the Cinqueta being Kursed, it is not dropped and the Bow animation is not impeded.

I have observed this glitch in every version up to the latest "stable" version (which I cannot play).
Last edited by Maxaxle on Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Failing to plan is planning to fail."
Bug me if you want to play a game.
Shade
Potion Mimic (Senior Member)

Post by Shade »

That's not a glitch. That's how it has always been.
The bow simply makes the character drop what he's got in his other hand, but it doesn't check whether he actually does drop it. It's not a requirement.
Maxaxle

Post by Maxaxle »

Clonkinator wrote:That's not a glitch. That's how it has always been.
The bow simply makes the character drop what he's got in his other hand, but it doesn't check whether he actually does drop it. It's not a requirement.

What do you mean, "not a requirement"? I imagine it's really hard to fire a bow with your other hand occupied (therefore, it should play the animation but not fire, and say that "%n_cannot_fire_this_%t_with_a_%t_in_their_other_hand.").
Shade

Post by Shade »

Maxaxle wrote:

What do you mean, "not a requirement"? I imagine it's really hard to fire a bow with your other hand occupied (therefore, it should play the animation but not fire, and say that "%n_cannot_fire_this_%t_with_a_%t_in_their_other_hand.").

By "it's not a requirement", I literally mean "it's not a requirement". It's not defined in the script. The script doesn't know whether it's logical or not, it simply does what it's scripted to do. And it currently is not scripted to check whether the user actually dropped the item in the other hand or not - it just makes him drop the item and then proceeds to fire an arrow, even if a curse prevented the user from actually dropping the item.
Maxaxle

Post by Maxaxle »

Clonkinator wrote:
Maxaxle wrote:

By "it's not a requirement", I literally mean "it's not a requirement". It's not defined in the script. The script doesn't know whether it's logical or not, it simply does what it's scripted to do. And it currently is not scripted to check whether the user actually dropped the item in the other hand or not - it just makes him drop the item and then proceeds to fire an arrow, even if a curse prevented the user from actually dropping the item.

I was suggesting a solution, not misinterpreting how scripts work. And yes, I know scripts do stuff even if it doesn't make sense (See: game testers, who take a long list of scenarios and try them out on a modified console, which allows them to mess with EVERYTHING).
Shade

Post by Shade »

Maxaxle wrote:
Clonkinator wrote:
Maxaxle wrote:

I was suggesting a solution, not misinterpreting how scripts work. And yes, I know scripts do stuff even if it doesn't make sense (See: game testers, who take a long list of scenarios and try them out on a modified console, which allows them to mess with EVERYTHING).

You were calling it a glitch, when really it's just a feature that hasn't been implemented (yet). Those are different things.
Maxaxle

Post by Maxaxle »

Clonkinator wrote:
Maxaxle wrote:
Clonkinator wrote:
Maxaxle wrote:

You were calling it a glitch, when really it's just a feature that hasn't been implemented (yet). Those are different things.

1. I'll rename the topic then.
2. Will anything be done about this "feature"?
Zefz
Squirrel Knight (Administrator)

Post by Zefz »

If you are really bothered by this, then I don't think it would be that much work to fix it. We just disable the use of the long bow animation while holding a kursed weapon in the other hand.
Zefz

Post by Zefz »

Fixed.