Egoboo under Linux (Linux specific issues)

Report bugs, errors and balance issues you may encounter ingame here.

Moderator: Developers

Zefz
Squirrel Knight (Administrator)
Squirrel Knight (Administrator)

Egoboo under Linux (Linux specific issues)

Post by Zefz »

So I finally got around to begin using my Ubuntu properly and installed Egoboo 2.7.4 on it :) It wasn't too hard to figure out and compiled with rather little trouble excluding all the hundreds of ugly warnings. Note again that I used 2.7.4 and not the SVN build, so some of these bugs might already be fixed somehow.

Anyways, I was wondering of someone else running under Linux is experiencing that Full Screen cannot be disabled?

This is a problem only when starting a new player: The player characters moves around randomly like a randomized Egoboo AI does.

Not really a issue, but rather a curiosity: The order of modules is not displayed alphabetically like on Windows, but rather random instead (but the same every time). It starts with the Soldier starter and ends with the Adventurer Starter. The Wizard is second last in the list, so it is not reversed.

I also noticed that the font used in the menu is different on Linux than on Windows. I remember pf2222 reporting this a while ago as well. This has something to do with the newest version of SDL_ttf which handles font spacing differently and causes a different offset which again causes text to disappear behind buttons and such (in other words the font takes more space on Linux). Using an older version (same as the one used in the windows release to be specific) should fix the problem. The only other solution would to redo the font size somehow so that it fits on both systems.
bgbirdsey
{]-[0{0|307 (Developer)
{]-[0{0|307 (Developer)

Post by bgbirdsey »

SDL_ttf has font kerning turned off by default. You can turn it on using a compiler switch. I guess there is some concern about a software patent or something.

I generally run in windowed mode, so I don't know about fullscreen mode behavior.

We may want to sort the order of the modules based on something other than alphabetically anyway, like the difficulty? The linux system-dependent file stuff may be able to be modded to give the correct alphabetical list.

On the other hand, this might be caused by PhysFS. You really need to be using PhysFS 2.x.x or above. There is a serious error with how PhysFS 1.x.x handles multiple search directories. This is not distributed on Ubuntu, so you will have to download it and build it. Building 2.x requires CMake to generate the linux makefiles.
penguinflyer5234
Sheep (Developer)
Sheep (Developer)

Post by penguinflyer5234 »

bgbirdsey wrote:On the other hand, this might be caused by PhysFS. You really need to be using PhysFS 2.x.x or above. There is a serious error with how PhysFS 1.x.x handles multiple search directories. This is not distributed on Ubuntu, so you will have to download it and build it. Building 2.x requires CMake to generate the linux makefiles.

We aren't using PhysFS in 2.7.4, or even in the SVN (rev 722)
dorne
Acid Blob (New member)
Acid Blob (New member)

Post by dorne »

A bit late, but I am also experiencing full screen even though fullscreen is set to false on Ubuntu.

Once in a while it reverts to a window, then a bit later, back to fullscreen. Does this version occur in the svn build as well?
penguinflyer5234
Sheep (Developer)
Sheep (Developer)

Post by penguinflyer5234 »

Not that I know of. But then again I can't make it work correctly yet (rev 748)
Daudun
Acid Blob (New member)
Acid Blob (New member)

another problem

Post by Daudun »

I just installed the new version of Egoboo on Ubuntu and another quirk showed up - I can't see my player : I just see a sword and a torch running around :-/
bgbirdsey
{]-[0{0|307 (Developer)
{]-[0{0|307 (Developer)

Post by bgbirdsey »

This is probably a graphics incompatibility, and similar things have been seen before.

Are you using a proprietary graphics driver, and does your driver fully support the graphics card that you are using? For instance, I can't get linux support for either card I have for my linux box, but I can use a driver that for a similar card model... works until it crashes something... Otherwise, I have to use software rendering using mesa.