Latest revision bugs

Report bugs, errors and balance issues you may encounter ingame here.

Moderator: Developers

bgbirdsey
{]-[0{0|307 (Developer)
{]-[0{0|307 (Developer)

Post by bgbirdsey »

- The Chest Mimic in the Adventurer Starter is dead upon spawn.

I think this is related to the following code

Code: Select all

if ( EveList[eve].endifcantpay && 
     ( ChrList[target].mana < LOWSTAT ||
      !cost_mana(owner, -EncList[cnt].ownermana, target) )  )
{
    remove_enchant( cnt );
}

which was changed from

if ( !cost_mana( owner, -EncList[cnt].ownermana, target ) &&
      EveList[eve].endifcantpay )
{
    remove_enchant( cnt );
}

This has 2 potentially bad effects.

1) since you make the execution of the function cost_mana() conditional, it may never be called, even though it is supposed to be called every time through this function

2) If something is self-enchanted, but has 0 mana the enchantment will die, even if the enchantment requires 0 mana to maintain.

- Money does not poof away when grabbed.

I have verified this one, too. it is related to teh code

// Spawn new particles if time for old one is up
if ( !pprt->is_eternal && ( pprt->poofme || frame_all >= pprt->_time ) )

which causes a particle not to do the end spawn/despawn no matter what, unless it is not eternal.

In this sense eternal just meant that it was insensitive to a timer, not that it was invictus or something.

we need to despawn the particle no matter what if poofme is set. :)

- Global light doesn't work

This may not be working as you would expect.

- At the moment, all the original mesh lighting is ignored for all modules. This needs to be changed so that things like the spotlight effects in the original adventurer starter will show up.

- The wawalite.txt file must be marked as having
    Far Edge mode... For outside levels ( TRUE or FALSE ) : TRUE

- I am using the ambient light setting for inside modules just so they will not be completely black outside the torch range. The ambient light is subdued in a certain way. If the module has full ambient light, then an inside module would be lit so that everything outside the torch light is just above being so dark that it is "invisible". If you lower the ambient light, then things outside the torch radius might not be seen at all.

This is causing some AI problems for AIs like Brom and Mim, who will keep attacking at nothing if their target disappears from becoming invisible.
Last edited by bgbirdsey on Mon Jul 06, 2009 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zefz
Squirrel Knight (Administrator)

Post by Zefz »

I think the chest is self-enchanted and has no mana, so it automatically kills itself.

But this should not be possible. I checked the enchant.txt for the mimic and:

End if mana can't be payed ( TRUE or FALSE )   : FALSE

which should render EveList[eve].endifcantpay to false (thus not removing the enchant). But I see the problem with 1) where the enchant doesn't cost any sustain mana.

I think reversing it should fix 1):

if ( (!cost_mana(owner, -EncList[cnt].ownermana, target) || ChrList[target].mana < LOWSTAT ) && EveList[eve].endifcantpay  )
{
      remove_enchant( cnt );
}
bgbirdsey
{]-[0{0|307 (Developer)
{]-[0{0|307 (Developer)

Post by bgbirdsey »

Somehow the time == -1 == infinite was being misinterpreted.

It is probably an old "bug". For instance if the enchant timer was set to a Uint32, then it would take a hella long time for the timer to reach zero and it would appear to be working properly, though not really infinite as advertised.
Zefz

Post by Zefz »

bgbirdsey wrote:Somehow the time == -1 == infinite was being misinterpreted.

It is probably an old "bug". For instance if the enchant timer was set to a Uint32, then it would take a hella long time for the timer to reach zero and it would appear to be working properly, though not really infinite as advertised.

Ah yes I found the error in stat_return(). It should say

if ( EncList[cnt].time != 0 )

while instead it said

if ( EncList[cnt].time > 0 )
bgbirdsey
{]-[0{0|307 (Developer)
{]-[0{0|307 (Developer)

Post by bgbirdsey »

I fixed this in another way by changing the order of evaluation if the if statements (since 0 is really the only special number at the top level).

The particle bug was introduced by the code I listed a couple of posts above (it is a bit easier to re-edit sometimes). I think I fixed this one as well.

Committed at revision 119.

----------------------------------

So what did you mean when you said that global lighting was broken?
Last edited by bgbirdsey on Mon Jul 06, 2009 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zefz

Post by Zefz »

Great! I don't need to spend any time to check out that one then :) I guess only the lightning keeps us away from a new release (the changelog is getting pretty big now... 2 new modules and all).

By the way, it could be that your particle poof fix also fixes this, but I noticed sometimes that spells with targeting particles (such as Teleport or Death Cloud) would get particles stuck under the mesh or something silly like that. Particles stuck there would never poof and fill up the particle list... causing no more particles (except Force Spawn) to work.
bgbirdsey
{]-[0{0|307 (Developer)
{]-[0{0|307 (Developer)

Post by bgbirdsey »

By the way, it could be that your particle poof fix also fixes this, but I noticed sometimes that spells with targeting particles (such as Teleport or Death Cloud) would get particles stuck under the mesh or something silly like that. Particles stuck there would never poof and fill up the particle list... causing no more particles (except Force Spawn) to work.

that is very odd. if they were somehow pushed off the mesh, that might cause some strange problems, but UNDER the mesh...?

are you available to chat?
Zefz

Post by Zefz »

are you available to chat?

Yes, but Freenode doesnt seem to work right now. Neither my Chat client or the built-in chat client for the forums seem to be able to connect.
bgbirdsey
{]-[0{0|307 (Developer)
{]-[0{0|307 (Developer)

Post by bgbirdsey »

Chatzilla on firefox!

Anyway, I do need some feedback on the lighting. The particles are not being lit properly, which is a pain, but what else?
Zefz

Post by Zefz »

bgbirdsey wrote:Chatzilla on firefox!

Anyway, I do need some feedback on the lighting. The particles are not being lit properly, which is a pain, but what else?

Gimme a sec and I will try to install Chatzilla, see if that works.
Zefz

Post by Zefz »

Sorry no luck with Chatzilla either.

Unknown host “chat.freenode.net” connecting to irc://chat.freenode.net/ (irc://chat.freenode.net/).

It does seem there is something wrong with the server, no?
bgbirdsey
{]-[0{0|307 (Developer)
{]-[0{0|307 (Developer)

Post by bgbirdsey »

I'm on it and able to chat. Maybe your norwegian DNS is down. You could try something like an anonymous proxy server to trick your browser to get around this. It might also get around any caching that your ISP has done that might have cached some bad data.
Zefz

Post by Zefz »

Okay, the latest lightning report on revision 620. The new revision seems to work almost flawlessly! (I feel we are close to a new release)

- I noticed that light spawned by particles was a little too weak in my opinion (compared to what they did before). Through some testing I found out that increasing dynalevel and dynafaloff with about 50% did the trick.
- Some of the Palaces are too dark. I noticed especially the Ice Palace which is as dark as the Shadow Palace. I guess this is the ambient light not working.
[edit]- I also noticed that characters have infinite jumps. Which is kinda bad.[/edit]

Some minor issues:
- Solid particles are still black
- I noticed the Minimap switching between being transparent and non-transparent. Any idea why it does this?
- And particle reflections don't work
bgbirdsey
{]-[0{0|307 (Developer)
{]-[0{0|307 (Developer)

Post by bgbirdsey »

I fixed the code to light particles properly now.

The problem with the map just has to do with when it is drawn, compared to when it was being drawn before. I need to make the code so that order doesn't matter...

Particle reflections have been turned off, but I should be able to turn them back on again. (properly this time)

I didn't notice infinite jumps.

I don't know what to do about the darkness in the palaces. Probably, we should just set the ambient value in wawalite properly for each module and be done with it. I guess I wanted to arrange stuff so that OLD modules could be imported without too much monkeying-around... :(
Zefz

Post by Zefz »

bgbirdsey wrote:I didn't notice infinite jumps.

Ah, I forgot to mention this only counts for characters with multiple jumps. Try the Archaeologist starter for example. For some reason the jump number is being reset even when the character hasn't landed yet.

And another minor matter I noticed as well. When the minimap is transparent, the blips on the minimap become blocky instead of those nice smooth round blips. (they turn normal when the minimap turns nontransparent).