Starter Bugs

Report bugs, errors and balance issues you may encounter ingame here.

Moderator: Developers

Odin
Acid Blob (New member)
Acid Blob (New member)

Starter Bugs

Post by Odin »

I realised a few bugs in the starters for the newest egoboo version.
Zombi starter- You need to charge in before the necromancer in order to kill a tranch hidden in a chest otherwise he gets stuck at that chest, casting spells on it forever.

Elf Starter- Taking the fairies from the idol to the mushroom ring, won't clear the mission.

Healer Starter- There is no torch to open the later gates.

Another Problem: It seems impossible to relight torches in any way.
Zefz
Squirrel Knight (Administrator)

Post by Zefz »

Zombi Starter
That is the same bug that allows stuff outside a chest/idol to interact with monsters hidden inside with it's inventory.

Elf Starter
This is because the SetTargetToWideBlahID script function does not work currently for some reason.

Healer Starter
Should be fixed in the next revision.

Torches
I noticed that torches cant' be relighted either. I am not sure what this bug is.
Odin
Acid Blob (New member)
Acid Blob (New member)

Post by Odin »

so every starter excluding the elf starter should work after the next svn?
Zefz

Post by Zefz »

So far I've only fixed the Archaeologist Starter and the Healer Starter. (But torches still cant be relit, so I dont think the healer is beatable)
Odin
Acid Blob (New member)
Acid Blob (New member)

Post by Odin »

I found yet another broken door, in the paladin starter the door requiring the first key will open, however still be unpassable.

Edit: There are several broken doors in the wizard starter too.
Zefz

Post by Zefz »

Are you sure you have updated to the latest revision in the SVN? Because I fixed those yesterday evening.
Odin
Acid Blob (New member)
Acid Blob (New member)

Post by Odin »

i am sure that i just updated before posting those errors. And for the paladin starter the door after unlocking the first door with a key is still broken even though the key one is fixed.
Zefz

Post by Zefz »

It also seems that the IfTimeOut function is triggered every frame update (Paladin Starter).
Odin
Acid Blob (New member)
Acid Blob (New member)

Post by Odin »

If you are still in need of programmers and have something like a documentation for egoboo, i can problably help you with stuff in 2 weeks when i am finished with my exams, that would at least take some work off you, i know c++, visual basic and python, and could probably help you with some problems you got.
Zefz

Post by Zefz »

That would be great. Egoboo is written mostly in C. The Egoboo code has been very messy, but there has been done a lot of work to improve it. Already now it is much better than it was 2 weeks ago. There is some documentation in the Dev package, but most of it is for developing game content and not coding (level editing, modeling, animation, etc.)

Currently we need to track down the current bugs so that we can do a new release. It has been 6 months since last release and that is waaay to long ago. We should release at least every two months to keep people interested in our project (to show them we are still alive).

These are some serious issues we need to take a look at (makes the game unplayable):
- Torch not being relit
- The AI script function SetTargetToWideBlahID not working
- Objects inside inventories can be attacked. (I think this is caused because AI scripts are run while they are inside inventories)
- The TimeOut bug mentioned in the Paladin Starter

Some less critical stuff (the game is still fully playable with these bugs):
- Transparent particles not working
- Fix the bug that causes particle rotation to fail
- Physics bugs
- Optimizing the code and make it more understandable
Odin
Acid Blob (New member)
Acid Blob (New member)

Post by Odin »

The best way would probably be if we could talk over irc or a chat program, then i can ask questions faster and also help more effectively. Now while writing my exams i will try to get back into C and then i can take a proper look at some of the game files. So i can probably start helping next weekend.
penguinflyer2222
Queen Penguin (Senior Member)
Queen Penguin (Senior Member)

Post by penguinflyer2222 »

Odin wrote:The best way would probably be if we could talk over irc or a chat program, then i can ask questions faster and also help more effectively.

We have a channel on irc freenode. That's where the chat button up there goes to. Too bad I don't see Zefz on there much.
Zefz

Post by Zefz »

I have a very poor internet connection currently. I might join when I get a more stable connection.
Poop Loops
Tranch (Novice)
Tranch (Novice)

Post by Poop Loops »

Plus like a 9 hour time difference. :)

How much would I have to understand C in order to get my hands dirty with this? I've coded in C and C++ before (and FORTRAN... ugh! Oh, and some assembly too), but since I am studying physics, it's pretty much all been just numerical calculations + some file I/O. I'd really like to help if I could, though, and learning more programming never hurts, right? I might even be able to fix the physics bugs. :) I'll start looking over the source code. If I can understand a lot of it, then I'd like to help out as much as I can. I have exams coming up as well, and I start graduate school in July, so I'd be pretty busy the whole time. But, I'd love to try and fix some bugs if I could, or minor but time-consuming things like that, you know? So that you guys can keep developing and not spend your time looking for bugs, or at least fixing crucial bugs and not worrying about cosmetic ones. Maybe even something like making the code easier to understand or something.
bgbirdsey
{]-[0{0|307 (Developer)
{]-[0{0|307 (Developer)

Post by bgbirdsey »

I might even be able to fix the physics bugs. Smile

Trust me, that is no piece of cake. I have a ph.d. in physics and have an interest in computational mathematics. The problem is not with big structure of the code and it's inherent instability to change. I've "fixed" the physics system many times, but it messes with some other game mechanic that is tuned to the current broken system...

[quite]So that you guys can keep developing and not spend your time looking for bugs, or at least fixing crucial bugs and not worrying about cosmetic ones. [/quote]

We definitely need bug testers. If you even could download the code and try to track down bugs with a debugger that would be awesome. Trying to track down bugs is a tremendous time sink.