2.7.0 Windows fails to launch

Report bugs, errors and balance issues you may encounter ingame here.

Moderator: Developers

tigzmordan
Acid Blob (New member)
Acid Blob (New member)

2.7.0 Windows fails to launch

Post by tigzmordan »

I downloaded 2.7.0 (Stable) Windows installer from SourceForge Download/Files section. I installed it and it seemed to work fine. After finishing, the installer than ran the Visual C++ redistributable installer which went ok too. However when trying to launch the game I get the following error:
E:\GAMES\Egoboo.exe
This application has failed to start because the application configuration is incorrect. Reinstalling the application may fix this problem.

I reinstalled 2.7.0, which ran the Visual C++ redistributable installer again. I chose to "repair" and after it did its thing, this time it wanted to reboot my computer. After rebooting I tried to run it again, and got the same error message.

I don't see any error logs being created so I'm afraid that's all the information I can give about this problem. Also, I checked my Windows event log and can't see anything relevant other than:
Product: Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable - x86 9.0.21022 -- Configuration completed successfully.

Is there anything I can try or a debug mode I can use to try and figure out what's happening?

tigzmordan
Acid Blob (New member)
Acid Blob (New member)

Post by tigzmordan »

I've downloaded 2.6.8 (Stable) Windows installer now and installed that. Version 2.6.8 seems to run OK on my computer. I tried to install 2.7.0 over the top of a seemingly working 2.6.8 installation, and the same error message is back, so it seems it's unique to this version.
penguinflyer5234
Sheep (Developer)
Sheep (Developer)

Post by penguinflyer5234 »

Hi! Welcome to the forums! Have a :teach:.

One, this is a known bug: http://egoboo.sourceforge.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=493
Two, never install a Egoboo version over an old one. Bad things come out of that.
penguinflyer2222
Queen Penguin (Senior Member)
Queen Penguin (Senior Member)

Post by penguinflyer2222 »

Welcome and have a lightbulb as well.

As pf5234 said, installing a version over another can cause problems, and the bug is known.
It seems that Windows users can't run it yet, so stay around and find out when it's been fixed. :)
Zefz
Squirrel Knight (Administrator)
Squirrel Knight (Administrator)

Post by Zefz »

I will release Egoboo 2.7.0b today which will hopefully fix our porblems.