Stuck on starter levels (Beta 2.6.9)

Report bugs, errors and balance issues you may encounter ingame here.

Moderator: Developers

NG-dataset
Acid Blob (New member)
Acid Blob (New member)

Stuck on starter levels (Beta 2.6.9)

Post by NG-dataset »

I'm having this weird problem with the latest beta. I'm able to play the starter levels for the different characters, but once I go to start a level with the character the game loads the level, yet the character is no where to be found and just says "Press space to respawn" which of course does nothing. It seems like the character (if he is actually spawning in the first place) is stuck in walls, since the camera usually rotates around a wall. Anyone else having this problem?

I know its a beta, but the stable version doesn't have any levels other then the three and character selection seems to be kind of messed up (I can pick any character).

So I was just wanting to know if everyone has this problem or just me, and if its already known about.

I compiled the latest SVN on Mac OS X Leopard, 32 bit with XCode 3.1.2 if that info is of any need. I'll be taking a screen shot in 30 minutes or so.
Yes, I could not think of anything better for my avatar.
Maxaxle
Darkshine Knight (Extremist fanatic)
Darkshine Knight (Extremist fanatic)

Post by Maxaxle »

1. Have you tried restarting the game?
2. It's a beta version, not open to the public yet! In fact, it's more of an alpha version!
"Failing to plan is planning to fail."
Bug me if you want to play a game.
Ben Urban
Cobol (Esteemed member)
Cobol (Esteemed member)

Post by Ben Urban »

Don't mind Maxaxle; sometimes he needs to be spoon-fed information. I had that problem (only) once recently. Restarting the game fixed it. And all the betas are open to the public these days, now that the data is in the Subversion repository.
Thanks to penguinflyer2222 for the avatar, and to penguinflyer5234 for hosting it.
penguinflyer5234
Sheep (Developer)
Sheep (Developer)

Post by penguinflyer5234 »

It might also help if you clear the import directory.
NG-dataset
Acid Blob (New member)
Acid Blob (New member)

Post by NG-dataset »

Ben Urban wrote:Don't mind Maxaxle; sometimes he needs to be spoon-fed information. I had that problem (only) once recently. Restarting the game fixed it. And all the betas are open to the public these days, now that the data is in the Subversion repository.

Tried restarting quite a few times before I posted, it didn't change anything. :(

penguinflyer5234 wrote:It might also help if you clear the import directory.

There was nothing in my import directory to clear, so that wasn't the problem.
Here's the screen shot I said I would post.
It's like that for the majority of levels, including the ones I was able to play in the stable.

Edit: Sorry! I just realized I had post this in the wrong section! This whole thread should be moved to Bug Report.
Shade
Potion Mimic (Senior Member)

Post by Shade »

That's weird, something like that doesn't happen to me. Can you show us what log.txt says when you try to do that?
NG-dataset
Acid Blob (New member)
Acid Blob (New member)

Post by NG-dataset »

Clonkinator wrote:That's weird, something like that doesn't happen to me. Can you show us what log.txt says when you try to do that?

Starting Egoboo 2.7.0...
INFO: Initializing clock services...
INFO: Initializing SDL_Image 1.2.7... Success!
INFO: net_initialize: Networking not enabled.
INFO: Initializing SDL_mixer audio services... Success!
INFO: Initializing module linking... Success!

The log.txt is the one at the same directory level as the binary, correct? Doesn't seem like theres that can help in there.

EDIT: It seems to be happening in the levels where the character I've had saved from the beginning levels is loaded. I've tried two different classes and it doing the same thing for both, so I don't believe its caused by a certain character, but it is caused by loading one of the saved characters. Levels where you used a character that isn't yours (Like Forgotten Fortress) work fine.
Zefz
Squirrel Knight (Administrator)

Post by Zefz »

It sounds something wrong happens when your character gets exported. Does exporting characters still work with other people?
Shade

Post by Shade »

Zefz wrote:It sounds something wrong happens when your character gets exported. Does exporting characters still work with other people?

I didn't experience any problems with it at Bishopia. The only thing I noticed was that each time I entered a module, random objects had random skins/icons of other objects, which made them look messed up.
Zefz

Post by Zefz »

Yes I noticed that too. It seems a "rare" bug that happens randomly. It is very irritating and the cause is unkown. After the latest revision I haven't noticed the bug anymore.
NG-dataset
Acid Blob (New member)
Acid Blob (New member)

Post by NG-dataset »

Could the slot number of the characters and the objects they are holding be a problem? I was reading through some of the modules and it says slot number (0-80), HOWEVER, my character and items he holds are -1. I'm going to change the slot numbers to 0 and see what happens.

EDIT: No change. I'll keep on exploring possibilities.
Request?: Is it possible for someone else to upload a character to a server where I can download it that has just passed the beginning level to check if it will work? I want to check if its a problem with how it's saving the characters or if its with how it's importing them to the level.

If it loads the level fine and I can play with the character from someone elses game, then I know its the way its saving the character. If it still doesn't work, its something wrong with how it imports.
penguinflyer2222
Queen Penguin (Senior Member)
Queen Penguin (Senior Member)

Post by penguinflyer2222 »

I know for a fact that the character's items are supposed to be -1.
Not sure about that character though.

If you come into the chat, someone might be able to send you a copy of a character.
If you use an IRC client that lets you receive files.

@All: Chat too?
Zefz

Post by Zefz »

Here is my G'nome. See if it works. I havent actually beat the starter module with it though, but if you are having trouble with him, then we know more about what's wrong.

http://www.2shared.com/file/4562385/10d ... meobj.html

Could someone upload a character they just beat a starter module with? G'nome is short (5 minutes top) for example.
woodmouse
Monolich (Senior Member)
Monolich (Senior Member)

Post by woodmouse »

I had that bug too, earlier. When I copied the exe file from an older (or newer, I don't remember) version, that fixed it. That was with 2.6.0 I think.
Once upon a time, when unicorns roamed the earth...
Cimeries
Lumberjack (Developer)
Lumberjack (Developer)

Post by Cimeries »

Here is my soldier: http://www.2shared.com/file/4563789/a6d5f4e0/argar.html
I did some other modules with him though, he is my only example since the others are from older revisions and have unbalanced stats.

@Zefz: Yay, this is even better than the file host I gave you. :)

Edit: I accidently Included a poisoned katana, here's a different one:
http://www.2shared.com/file/4563838/397a5a80/argar.html
:wink: