Beta Testing 2.6.9

Report bugs, errors and balance issues you may encounter ingame here.

Moderator: Developers

Zefz
Squirrel Knight (Administrator)

Beta Testing 2.6.9

Post by Zefz »

We are almost ready for the next beta testing phase. We have done quite some changes to the game that it will need extensive testing. Most notable is the new module unlock system which is now based on the new quest system. We have also done a lot of rebalancing with skills and strength bonus to attack. Furthermore we got the usual bunch of bug fixes and various overall improvements, a lot of which weren't fixed in the previous beta test.

Version 2.6.9 (??.??.2008)
- New Feature: Added a new ranged attack spell for divine casters called 'Moonbeam'.
- New Feature: Input controls settings can now be changed in the ingame menu.
- New Feature: Added a new NPC to Zippy Town and in Bishopia City.
- New Feature: The new Quest System is now in the game.
- New Feature: Added two new pets to the pet trader.
- New Feature: A new quest "The Benemo Cave" has been added.
- New Feature: Some new skills have been added and changed (classes.txt)
- Update: Items now reduce in value if their charges or ammo is drained.
- Update: Zombor's life steal and daze attacks now only apply to unarmed attacks.
- Update: The Symbol of Turning has been tuned down a lot.
- Update: Damage for every weapon in the game has been rebalanced.
- Update: The Mageblade now gains bonus damage from intelligence as well as strength.
- Update: The Clairvoyance spell can now also display all enemies on the map.
- Update: Loot found in dungeons are sold for half value opposed to shop items.
- Update: The Crypt has been made slightly harder to defeat.
- Update: Many items have a new more balanced gold value. (Credits to Clonkinator)
- Update: The weapon 'Chiuaua' now deals triple damage and is armor piercing.
- Update: Increased duration of magic immunity potion from 17 seconds to 30.
- Update: Improved the Watcher boss battle.
- Update: Halved the damage bonus gained from critical hits.
- Update: Adjusted the jumping power for most classes.
- Update: Some pets have been made stronger in combat.
- Update: All pets have now a natural regeneration of 1 hp every 8 seconds.
- Update: Doubled the damage dealt by Scimitars.
- Update: The Katana can now be used as a Simple weapon.
- Update: Paladins can now use crossbows again.
- Update: The Bridge spell is now more powerful than before.
- Update: Reduced the difficulity of the Crypt Lich boss battle.
- Update: The katana has increased attack range.
- Update: The invisibility spell now costs a lot less mana to sustain.
- Update: Zippy Town now sells life potions.
- Update: Random potion skins for unidentified potions was removed.
- Update: Improved some memory optimization.
- Update: Each class can now have multiple skill IDSZ using expansions.
- Bugfix: Fixed a random item spawning bug in Bishopia city.
- Bugfix: The Healer is no longer charged when taking holy damage after reaching level 8.
- Bugfix: Divine runes are now crushable in passages.
- Bugfix: All potions should now work correctly on invisible users.
- Bugfix: All demons should now properly be damaged by HOLY.
- Bugfix: Fixed various bugs with the Pet Trader in Zippy town.
- Bugfix: Items held in the hands of a player no longer becomes 100% invisible
when the player character turns invisible.
- Bugfix: Ghouls in the Shadow Palace now respawn correctly when killed.
- Bugfix: Stealing from shops works now without any strange bugs.
- Bugfix: A large number of incorrect messaging issues.
- Bugfix: The Holy Aura skill doesn't trigger on slain undead now.
- Bugfix: Fixed bug in the Rogue Starter causing the rogue always to score backstabs.
- Bugfix: The usual bunch of minor matters.

There is a big change in how Egoboo's datafiles will be developed and debugged now. We got whole egoboo (except music) on the SVN. This means you can always get the latest changes, fixes and features without having to redownload and reinstall the whole game again!

The SVN might seem complicated for first time users, but it's quite easy once you get the hang of it! You just right click your Egoboo folder and select "SVN Update". Voila, all latest modules and changes are downloaded! In addition, you can contribute new stuff in the same way. Just right click on the files/folders that you want to upload and click "SVN commit". The files are automatically merged with the other files on the SVN!

Windows users will need to download tortoise SVN: http://tortoisesvn.net/downloads

The Egoboo SVN repository is located here: https://egoboo.svn.sourceforge.net/svnr ... ches/2.6.x

I will upload the windows binaries and dll's when the SVN is fully complete. You will need to download those unless you plan to compile Egoboo yourself.

WINDOWS USERS
BINARY FILE (often updated): http://www.2shared.com/file/4681047/7b3 ... RY-15.html
DLL FILES (needs only to be downloaded once): http://www.mediafire.com/file/mohyyzzmi ... NARY-10.7z

Good luck and happy bug hunting!
Last edited by Zefz on Mon Jan 19, 2009 4:57 pm, edited 15 times in total.
Shade
Potion Mimic (Senior Member)

Post by Shade »

Just to make sure - all I need to do to get the latest SVN is download that tortoiseSVN-thingie, install it and then right click on my egoboo folder and select "SVN Update"?
Zefz

Post by Zefz »

First time you will have to download the whole new version of Egoboo 2.6.9 using SVN. This is done with the SVN checkout. Make a new folder ("egoboo 2.6.9 beta test" or whatever) and right click and "SVN Checkout" to download all the files from the SVN repository. There are so many changes that this is probably necessary anyways.

You will also need to download the binary package which I just uploaded (this contains all the .exe files and .dll files which only windows users need). Link is in the first post.

Let me know how it goes :)

THE FOLDER ICONS
- If you have done it correctly, all the files in your egoboo folder should be marked with a small green icon. These files are fully working without any of your modifications.
- Folders marked with small red icons have changes that you have made yourself, but not uploaded yet.
- A folder marked with a ? means it's a totally new file which isn't even in the SVN. (like new characters in the players folder for example)
- Folders marked with a + means next time you select "Commit SVN", the file will be uploaded and added to the database as a new file. (new content you might want to add into the game, such as objects or modules)
Shade

Post by Shade »

Alright, I got the folder. :)
I was just about to ask where the .exe file is, but I guess the binary package you uplaoded is the answer to my question, right?

The folder icons seem to be very useful.
So this means, once I get the hang of it I can directly contribute to the game's development as well, right? That's awesome! :D
Shade

Post by Shade »

Alright, here's some stuff:

- The new control input system always assigns "Num Lock" as a control key unless I turn it off altogether (I've never seen any other game do that, so I think it's not quite intended).
- The grub bugs in the adventurer starter don't respawn at all, even if the grub mum hasn't been killed yet. Also, Brom and Mim kept running against a wall in the mimic room and didn't bother following me at all anymore.
- The Benemo Cave is unlocked right from the beginning; some mess-up at the "Required reference IDSZ", I guess.
- The Missile spell (aquired from the Adventurer Starter) isn't homing anymore at all, even if standing right in front of the target.
- Beating the Sand Palace causes ALL regular modules (requiring [BEAT]) to be unlocked...
- The new value system and items in shops having double prices works fine, but selling ammo-/charge-less items STILL gives just as much money as selling a fully charged item does...
Zefz

Post by Zefz »

So this means, once I get the hang of it I can directly contribute to the game's development as well, right? That's awesome!

Yes. If you think soldiers have a little too much hp, you can reduce their life by 1 or 2 and commit the changed data.txt file. Then all other people can update their folder and directly download your version of the data.txt :)

Even if they also have made changes to their version of the soldier/data.txt, SVN will try to automatically merge the changes :)
Zefz

Post by Zefz »

The new value system and items in shops having double prices works fine, but selling ammo-/charge-less items STILL gives just as much money as selling a fully charged item does...

This works fine for me. Tried using a wand, selling it, buy it, using it, selling it again? Value decreases each time I use it.

- The Missile spell (aquired from the Adventurer Starter) isn't homing anymore at all, even if standing right in front of the target.
- Also, Brom and Mim kept running against a wall in the mimic room and didn't bother following me at all anymore.

I know about this. We will have to wait for birdseys waypoint fix to get this to work properly.

- The new control input system always assigns "Num Lock" as a control key unless I turn it off altogether (I've never seen any other game do that, so I think it's not quite intended).

I think SDL recognizes NumLock as a button being repeatedly pressed. Maybe ignoring this button in the input menu would do the trick.

What I've done now:
-Fixed wand having wrong attack type
-Added the music files
-Fixed the unlock system bugs

I will commit my changes soon, so that you may "Update SVN" :)
Shade

Post by Shade »

Zefz wrote:
The new value system and items in shops having double prices works fine, but selling ammo-/charge-less items STILL gives just as much money as selling a fully charged item does...

This works fine for me. Tried using a wand, selling it, buy it, using it, selling it again? Value decreases each time I use it.

It doesn't do for me. I ought to note, however, that I tested it with the crossbow (42 ammo left, got 15 gold) and the wand of lightning (0 ammo left, got 75 gold) from the Sand Palace; I didn't try any of the items found in the cities themselves.

Zefz wrote:
- Also, Brom and Mim kept running against a wall in the mimic room and didn't bother following me at all anymore.

I know about this. We will have to wait for birdseys waypoint fix to get this to work properly.

Alright then.

Zefz wrote:

I think SDL recognizes NumLock as a button being repeatedly pressed. Maybe ignoring this button in the input menu would do the trick.

Yeah, that should work.

Zefz wrote:What I've done now:
-Fixed wand having wrong attack type
-Added the music files
-Fixed the unlock system bugs

I will commit my changes soon, so that you may "Update SVN" :)

A'right.

Btw, I found another thing: in the Shadow Palace, the player starts in the boss room. :shock:
I wanted to fix it myself (just a colon in spawn.txt being at the wrong place), but SVN wants to know who I am and won't accept my forum account's data. =/
Zefz

Post by Zefz »

Hmm you probably have to be a member of the Egoboo sourceforge project then. Register an account like purple and chainsaw and I'll register you as "official bugtester" :)

I have uploaded the latest changes to the SVN, you need to redownload the new .exe file too (binary file, same link): http://www.mediafire.com/file/mnamwyzmt ... INARY-2.7z
bgbirdsey
{]-[0{0|307 (Developer)
{]-[0{0|307 (Developer)

Post by bgbirdsey »

anyone can submit diffs to the sf project. write access to the svn is limited.
Shade

Post by Shade »

Alright, I made an account at SourceForge, same name as here.

EDIT: A'right, in the hope that I didn't do anything wrong now, I uploaded the fixed spawn.txt for the shadow palace. :?
woodmouse
Monolich (Senior Member)
Monolich (Senior Member)

Post by woodmouse »

Ugh.
That's... :cry:
I mean, umm, that means there will not be a new "release"...?
I mean, if I want new version of Egoboo, I want to download IT and not 999999 other things first... :(
I think it's the same for most of the others too?
Once upon a time, when unicorns roamed the earth...
Agent of Dread
Protector (Senior Member)
Protector (Senior Member)

Post by Agent of Dread »

Then don't use the SVN system. Simple as that.
- Linktree: linktr.ee/trilbs -
Shade

Post by Shade »

woodmouse wrote:Ugh.
That's... :cry:
I mean, umm, that means there will not be a new "release"...?
I mean, if I want new version of Egoboo, I want to download IT and not 999999 other things first... :(
I think it's the same for most of the others too?

You only need to use SVN if you want to keep Beta-testing; if you just want to play Egoboo as usual, wait for the usual installer to offically be released. :wink:

Also, I never used SVN before either, but it isn't all that bad once you get the hang of it. (I still am confused about how to add "modified" stuff to the "ignore" list so I don't get errors when updating stuff, but I guess I'll figure it out sooner or later)
Cimeries
Lumberjack (Developer)
Lumberjack (Developer)

Post by Cimeries »

Cool, I'll probably check it out in a couple of days, I'm getting the urge to create stuff again.
:wink: