Egoboo 2.6.5b - application configuration is incorrect

Report bugs, errors and balance issues you may encounter ingame here.

Moderator: Developers

badbrad70
Acid Blob (New member)
Acid Blob (New member)

Egoboo 2.6.5b - application configuration is incorrect

Post by badbrad70 »

Hi All :) I just installed Egoboo 2.6.5b and when I try to run it I get this error:

I have looked through the forums for help and have tried everything suggested. I am running the file directly from the install directory. I have the Visual C++ redistributable installed. I am running Windows XP Professional with Service Pack 3.

Here are some screenshots to help find a solution:

A screenshot of the egoboo install directory:

A screenshot of files in the add/remove area of control panel (just to prove I have egoboo 6.2.5b and VC++ installed):

A screenshot of my system info (provided by dxdiag):

A screenshot of the device info for my video card:

A screenshot of the device info for my sound card:

I will try downloading earlier versions to see if they work... but as I am on dialup.. 50+MB per shot isn't a very pleasant thought. ;)

Anyways, thanks in advance for your help... can't wait to play the game -- from the screenshots it looks awesome.

Cheers,
Brad.

----------------------------
It's good to be bad.
bgbirdsey
{]-[0{0|307 (Developer)
{]-[0{0|307 (Developer)

Post by bgbirdsey »

This is a known error, but I can't remember what the resolution is. I think it might be because you need a newer version of the visual studio runtime installed. The installer should have asked you whether you wanted to install the visual studio runtime.
PurpleSquerkle
Massive Gelfeet (Developer)
Massive Gelfeet (Developer)

Post by PurpleSquerkle »

Hey, welcome! Have a cookie!
:cookie:

Thanks for providing all that information.
...Unfortunately, everything looks fine.

So if what Bgbirdsey says doesn't work, all I can suggest that you do is wait until the next release (it should be about a week)...
penguinflyer5234
Sheep (Developer)
Sheep (Developer)

Post by penguinflyer5234 »

Hey, welcome as well.

The thing is, Egoboo does not use DirectX really. It uses OpenGL.

But, the problem is a Microsoft error for C runtime libraries.
Maybe you need something from XP SP2?
badbrad70
Acid Blob (New member)
Acid Blob (New member)

Post by badbrad70 »

bgbirdsey wrote:This is a known error, but I can't remember what the resolution is. I think it might be because you need a newer version of the visual studio runtime installed. The installer should have asked you whether you wanted to install the visual studio runtime.

The Visual C++ runtime included with egoboo was installed. I did find "Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 SP1 Redistributable Package (x86)" on the microsoft site and installed that as well. Unfortunately it didn't help. :(

Anyways, I will wait until the next release comes out. :)

Thanks guys!
B

----------------------------
It's good to be bad.
Last edited by badbrad70 on Wed Nov 12, 2008 3:51 am, edited 2 times in total.
bgbirdsey
{]-[0{0|307 (Developer)
{]-[0{0|307 (Developer)

Post by bgbirdsey »

I thought I remembered the topic. It is here: http://egoboo.sourceforge.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=112

Basically, the shortcuts distributed in that configuration have the wrong "working directory". This affects any egoboo desktop icon and any start menu icon.

There are two things you can do

1) start the egoboo.exe program directly from the egoboo directory instead of using any shortcut
2) fix the shortcut by right clicking on it, choosing properties, and filling in the correct directory for the working directory (which is the same as the path for the executable, minus the egoboo.exe)
badbrad70
Acid Blob (New member)
Acid Blob (New member)

Post by badbrad70 »

bgbirdsey wrote:I thought I remembered the topic. It is here: http://egoboo.sourceforge.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=112

Basically, the shortcuts distributed in that configuration have the wrong "working directory". This affects any egoboo desktop icon and any start menu icon.

There are two things you can do

1) start the egoboo.exe program directly from the egoboo directory instead of using any shortcut
2) fix the shortcut by right clicking on it, choosing properties, and filling in the correct directory for the working directory (which is the same as the path for the executable, minus the egoboo.exe)

Yes, I read that post (and I think there was one other one) and I tried all the suggestions. I had hoped setting the compatibily would do the trick but no such luck.

Anyways, the funny thing is when I installed egoboo there were no shorcuts created. No start-menu entry either. So I had no choice but to run egoboo.exe directly from the install directory :)
badbrad70
Acid Blob (New member)
Acid Blob (New member)

Post by badbrad70 »

Do you know what the minimum version of OpenGL is required? I just installed OpenGL Extensions Viewer 3.0 (http://www.realtech-vr.com/glview/) and ran the rendering tests. It shows a result of "Pass" on versions up to (and including) 1.5
bgbirdsey
{]-[0{0|307 (Developer)
{]-[0{0|307 (Developer)

Post by bgbirdsey »

if you do a google search on "application configuration is incorrect" you will find a whole lot of questions about fixing this bug. Most of them follow the discussion of this thread

http://www.gamedev.net/community/forums ... _id=449323

Since zefz uses the free version of VC 2007 (ver 10), it requires that some runtime dlls be on your system. It probably requires that you have the correct version of the .net framework, though I'm not certain what this may be.

As far as OpenGL compatibility goes, OpenGL is not even initialized under SDL until the opening screen is created. Before this is done, some text is printed to the log.txt file like

Starting Egoboo 2.6.5b...
INFO: Initializing high-performance counter...
INFO: Frequency is 3579545 hz
INFO: Initializing clock services...
INFO: Initializing filesystem services...
INFO: Game directories are:
Game: D:\Program Files\Egoboo Development Team\Egoboo-2.6.7_beta2
Temp: C:\DOCUME~1\BENJAM~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\
Save: C:\Documents and Settings\Benjamin Birdsey\My Documents\egoboo\
Import: C:\DOCUME~1\BENJAM~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\import\

if you have nothing like this in log.txt, egoboo has not even started, and the program is encountering an error in the C-runtime or root SDL initialization.

If that is the case, there is no way around the fact that the VC redist is not the correct version or is broken (which may require uninstalling it and resinstalling it again), or you do not have the a high enough .net framework version.

Let me know what is happening with log.txt!
badbrad70
Acid Blob (New member)
Acid Blob (New member)

Post by badbrad70 »

OK. I had a suspicion about .NET being required so I have already installed the latest version. ;)

log.txt does not get generated.

Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 installed.
Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable - x86 9.0.30729.17 installed.
badbrad70
Acid Blob (New member)
Acid Blob (New member)

Post by badbrad70 »

Did some digging on google re: The application has failed to start because blah blah blah
Microsoft suggests installing the Dependency Walker and using it on the VC++ program that isn't loading properly. This is my result:

Screenshot:http://pictureposter.allbrand.nu/pictures/beardly/egoboo/egoboo_dependancy.jpg

I searched my computer for MSVCR90.DLL and copied it into the egoboo directory.
I downloaded the MSJAVA.DLL file from: http://www.dll-files.com/dllindex/dll-files.shtml?msjava

When I re-run the dependancy walker there is only one error left:

Error: The Side-by-Side configuration information in "c:\program files\egoboo\EGOBOO.EXE" contains errors. This application has failed to start because the application configuration is incorrect. Reinstalling the application may fix this problem (14001).
Warning: At least one module has an unresolved import due to a missing export function in a delay-load dependent module.

The problem seems to be coming from MPR.DLL : WNetRestoreConnectionA
bgbirdsey
{]-[0{0|307 (Developer)
{]-[0{0|307 (Developer)

Post by bgbirdsey »

the SxS is yet another download/install, and was mentioned on several of the sites with info about this problem

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums ... 03353f32c/
badbrad70
Acid Blob (New member)
Acid Blob (New member)

Post by badbrad70 »

Last night I downloaded Egoboo 2.4.4. I installed it and it works.

I have SxS. Some sites suggested copying DLL's from SxS to the install directory and I was going to try that... but... no need. It seems installing 2.4.4 fixed whatever problem I was having with 2.6.5b. Or I'm guessing that's what fixed it. I've done so much tinkering... :P
Zefz
Squirrel Knight (Administrator)
Squirrel Knight (Administrator)

Post by Zefz »

Woah.. That's a strange one. Maybe it's because egoboo 2.4.4 used the vcredist 2005 and 2.6.5b had the 2008 version package included?
penguinflyer2222
Queen Penguin (Senior Member)
Queen Penguin (Senior Member)

Post by penguinflyer2222 »

Welcome and have a lightbulb! :idea: