Beta Test results 2.6.7 PART 2

Report bugs, errors and balance issues you may encounter ingame here.

Moderator: Developers

Zefz
Squirrel Knight (Administrator)

Beta Test results 2.6.7 PART 2

Post by Zefz »

This is where all beta testers write their results from testing for the second phase. Includes balance issues, bugs, suggestions for improvements in lacking areas, errors (preferably the cause of it too), etc.

Everyone can pitch in and write their comment here or read on the progress. All beta testers should receive a PM soon with detailed information.

Beta testing part 2 starts today at Monday 10th November and lasts until next Saturday 15th November (5 days). Good luck!

[edit]Any tester who has not yet received a PM for some reason, let me know (via PM).[/edit]

FIXES MADE IN PART 2
- Update: The mana return rate has been adjusted for game balance.
- Update: Improved the camera rotation.
- Update: The total max number of particle effects are now limited to 2048 instead of 1024.
- Update: You can now specify the FPS limit in setup.txt (Default value is 30)
- Update: Egoboo now supports up to 64 dynamic lights instead of 8 (Changed in setup).
- Bugfix: The Lich in the Crypt no longer gets stuck in the brazier.
- Bugfix: Fixed a bad passage entry in the Adventurer Starter.
- Bugfix: The Guard Captain in Bishopia no longer loops the MODULE UNLOCKED message.
- Bugfix: Fixed the Scroll of Identify being broken and unusable.
- Bugfix: Stone Idols, Graves and Sarcophaguses cannot be destroyed with bare hands now.
- Bugfix: The Elf Starter is now correctly beatable and exports.
- Bugfix: Some minor typos fixed.
- Bugfix: The fire from grub bug spits now correctly generate light.
- Bugfix: The Pet Trader should now correctly remove your traded pet.
- Bugfix: Fixed character variables not getting properly reset when exported.

BUGS/ISSUES THAT WERE NOT FIXED YET
- Exploding oil when taken out? (lit lamp was held in other hand)
- Minimize on Linux causes textures to be buggy.
- Impassable tile in Zippy? (near healer) (and forgotten fortress?)
- There are white stools in the Wizard Starter, the skins are still messed up for various thing sometimes.
- The ice in the Ice Palace is VERY slippery...
- Squidgies still messing things up!
- Selling charged items always returns same value, even if no charges are left!
- Random potions skins seems to frustrate people. Remove?
- Crusader shield IfPutAway not working. It also refills mana!
- Overlay effects do not spawn in pits.
Last edited by Zefz on Sun Nov 23, 2008 12:30 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Maxaxle
Darkshine Knight (Extremist fanatic)

Post by Maxaxle »

Glitches, glitches, and more glitches!
-Insanely fast levelling
-Even with lots of settings changed, the graphics are CRAP. Bad textures in the dark, light passing through walls, and all graphics have been reduced to version 1 or 2 graphics. Yeah. They're THAT bad.
-Can we please increase the framerate to 40 or 45? It's not as smooth as older releases.
- "-20" intelligence, strength, wisdom, and intelligence from being killed by a Protector with a cheated level 20? OMGWTF!!!!!!!!??????
-Attacks by a cheated level 20 send enemies flying across the room :rofl:
-The Everburning Torch is a little hard to find. I ended up fumbling for it for a while before finding it.
-The "chest open" animation seems not to work.

All of that, JUST from the Forgotten Fortress with a cheated level 20. Also, does level affect speed?
"Failing to plan is planning to fail."
Bug me if you want to play a game.
Zefz

Post by Zefz »

-Insanely fast levelling

I'm not sure why this is. This might be a bug.

-Even with lots of settings changed, the graphics are CRAP. Bad textures in the dark, light passing through walls, and all graphics have been reduced to version 1 or 2 graphics. Yeah. They're THAT bad.

Probably clonkinators default settings? I think tweaking setup.txt should fix this.

-Can we please increase the framerate to 40 or 45? It's not as smooth as older releases.

birdsey pointed out that the framerate doesn't affect the number of updates the game does. It's just that before your game update and frame speed depended on your pc speed (fast pc = fast game speed)

- "-20" intelligence, strength, wisdom, and intelligence from being killed by a Protector with a cheated level 20? OMGWTF!!!!!!!!??????

You went to - 20 in those stats when you died?

-Attacks by a cheated level 20 send enemies flying across the room ROFL

That's become level 20 characters are really strong =) knockback depends on character strength.

-The Everburning Torch is a little hard to find. I ended up fumbling for it for a while before finding it.

Well that's Purple's level design. Maybe he wanted it to be hard to find. It is a pretty good magic item after all.

Where have you seen this, which chest? Or do you mean characters doing that animation?
HyugaNeji
Chest Mimic (Community member)

Post by HyugaNeji »

Mr.Bugtest is bugged!!! He duplicates himself, ahaha. :D
Zefz

Post by Zefz »

Yeah that is known. He's the only one who does that, because the dot (.) used in his name.
bgbirdsey
{]-[0{0|307 (Developer)
{]-[0{0|307 (Developer)

Post by bgbirdsey »

There is a bug where the enchant that is applied to higher level characters does not stick.

Urban is checking out a fix that might work. <crosses fingers>
Shade
Potion Mimic (Senior Member)
Potion Mimic (Senior Member)

Post by Shade »

Maxaxle wrote:-Insanely fast levelling

Didn't notice anything like that. I'm leveling with just the same speed as always.

Maxaxle wrote:-Even with lots of settings changed, the graphics are CRAP. Bad textures in the dark, light passing through walls, and all graphics have been reduced to version 1 or 2 graphics. Yeah. They're THAT bad.

Well excuse me, change the settings even more, it's as simple as that. Those current settings are just minimum settings so Egoboo even runs on crappy computers like mine. :lol:

Maxaxle wrote:-Can we please increase the framerate to 40 or 45? It's not as smooth as older releases.

Yeah, I have to agree here; 30 FPS just is too low. Like this, it looks like Egoboo's lagging even when it isn't. Something at least 50-ish would be better imo, even though the about 100 FPS I used to have before worked very fine as well.

Anyway, here's my own stuff so far:

- Bugs -

* The locked door in the soldier starter keeps saying "The door is locked..." even when I'm not even close to it.
* Nothing happens when you take the fairies to the flower circle outside the camp of the elf starter, causing the elf starter to be unbeatable.
* The G'nome's name shown above the status bar is transparent in the G'nome starter.
* I still get the same amount of gold for selling a gonne with 18 ammo as for selling a gonne with 6 ammo. Same for staves and other stuff.

- Various things -

* The potions having random skins is, if anything, just annoying...
* I know it's just because fists deal crush damage, but it looks rather silly if a random elf (or any other character that can attack with its fists) can break open a stone idol by just bashing it with his hands...
woodmouse
Monolich (Senior Member)
Monolich (Senior Member)

Post by woodmouse »

In Soldier starter, there's still the thing that if you go near the door when you don't have the key, the boss comes to the door and it can't be opened when you get the key.
Once upon a time, when unicorns roamed the earth...
Ben Urban
Cobol (Esteemed member)
Cobol (Esteemed member)

Post by Ben Urban »

bgbirdsey wrote:There is a bug where the enchant that is applied to a higher level characters does not stick.

Urban is checking out a fix that might work. <crosses fingers>

It looks like this fix worked with my Healer:

Code: Select all

// Reset the state when starting a module
IfSpawned
  tmpargument = 0
  SetState

It should be added at the beginning of the script for each character type.

There's still the matter of things like Smite messing with the colors, but I'm not sure there's anything that can easily be done about that.

Clonkinator wrote:* The potions having random skins is, if anything, just annoying...

I'm afraid I have to agree. I think it's mostly because the colors of each potion are randomized, as opposed to each type of potion.

Clonkinator wrote:* I know it's just because fists deal crush damage, but it looks rather silly if a random elf (or any other character that can attack with its fists) can break open a stone idol by just bashing it with his hands...

I think there should be a new "minor crush" damage type for fists and some bites (like the black sheep). That way, unarmed creatures would not be able to break stone objects.

Or, the stone objects should detect how much damage is being done to them in a single strike, and not be destroyed unless it's above a certain threshold. That might work better. Perhaps the Maul of the Titans could break the Griffin Tower furniture...
Thanks to penguinflyer2222 for the avatar, and to penguinflyer5234 for hosting it.
Maxaxle

Post by Maxaxle »

Zefz wrote:
-Insanely fast levelling

I'm not sure why this is. This might be a bug.

Probably clonkinators default settings? I think tweaking setup.txt should fix this.

birdsey pointed out that the framerate doesn't affect the number of updates the game does. It's just that before your game update and frame speed depended on your pc speed (fast pc = fast game speed)

You went to - 20 in those stats when you died?

-Attacks by a cheated level 20 send enemies flying across the room ROFL

That's become level 20 characters are really strong =) knockback depends on character strength.

Well that's Purple's level design. Maybe he wanted it to be hard to find. It is a pretty good magic item after all.

Where have you seen this, which chest? Or do you mean characters doing that animation?

1. Okay.
2. Nope. I tweaked it a ton, but to no avail.
3. Okay then, it's just that the framerate (not the gameplay) is an insanely tiny bit less smooth. Yes, I can tell.
4. Yes, and it stayed that way when I respawned.
5. Well, maybe it should illuminate the underwater floor?
6. Mr. Bugtest never used the open-a-chest animation, that's what I meant.
woodmouse wrote:In Soldier starter, there's still the thing that if you go near the door when you don't have the key, the boss comes to the door and it can't be opened when you get the key.

Yeah. Approximately the same thing happens in the Wizard Starter, but there is no key involved (the boss causes the door to stay closed, so the boss doesn't escape their chamber).
"Failing to plan is planning to fail."
Bug me if you want to play a game.
Zefz

Post by Zefz »

I fixed the lich in the wizard starter blocking the door last release! If he is still there for some reason, just move away from the door and wait until he teleports.

I increased the gfx settings to max. It looked just like 2.6.5 and before (the normal graphics you are used to).

I also fixed the Soldier Starter boss not moving until the door opens loong ago! He cannot move until the door is open.

You make SURE it's 2.6.7b you are testing and that you installed it clean! (not on a existing egoboo folder or something like that)
Cimeries
Lumberjack (Developer)
Lumberjack (Developer)

Post by Cimeries »

Is the Everburn torch really that hard to pick up? I grabbed it on my first try all three times I've played this module...
:wink:
HyugaNeji

Post by HyugaNeji »

Maxaxle wrote:Glitches, glitches, and more glitches!
-Insanely fast levelling

-My characters (because I used all for testing) don't seem to level up that fast. For me it's normal.

-When I died my stats hadn't been changed.

-I haven't play too much but I'll keep testing then I will bring news.

PS: where can I find that Pet seller (?) and the syphon mana.
Zefz

Post by Zefz »

Warning, game spoilers:
[spoiler]
-The pet trader randomly pops up in zippy town (66% chance) at one of three different spawn points.
- The Mana Syphon spell is a divine rune. I think you gain it in the Sand Palace in one of the three treasure rooms.
[/spoiler]
HyugaNeji

Post by HyugaNeji »

You should fix the scroll of identify bug, that really sucks.

Well I said "All" before but I lied. I haven't tried the zombie yet.

BUG: Wherever the rouge hits, he "makes" a back stab. ( I don't like games so easy)

In my opinion, the mana return was OK for the wizard only, now I think it's a bit slow.

Other thing is dealing with that damn sporks, the game would be funnier if the sporks were just icons and do not take space.

@All: Chat?