Beta Test results 2.6.7

Report bugs, errors and balance issues you may encounter ingame here.

Moderator: Developers

Zefz
Squirrel Knight (Administrator)

Beta Test results 2.6.7

Post by Zefz »

This is where all beta testers write their results from testing. Includes balance issues, bugs, suggestions for improvements in lacking areas, errors (preferably the cause of it too), etc.

Everyone can pitch in and write their comment here or read on the progress. All beta testers should receive a PM soon with detailed information.

Here is my first bugs:
- The linux release for 2.6.7 does not contain level 2, 3 and 4 armor skins for the adventurer. Windows version does not have this problem. Already fixed for the stable release.
- It is possible the build script for Linux still containing spaces instead of tabs.

Beta testing starts today at Sunday 2. November and lasts until next Sunday 9th November (1 full week). Good luck!

[edit]Any tester who has not yet received a PM for some reason, let me know (via PM).[/edit]

FIXES SO FAR
- New Feature: Added new Clairvoyance spell to the Forgotten Fortress.
Added new Syphon Mana spell to the Sand Palace.
Added Kursed scrolls a few places.
- Update: Hell Rovers in the Abyss have been made somewhat weaker.
- Update: Severely reduced Eyeball life regeneration.
- Update: Improved the weather effect in the Forgotten Fortress and added it to
the Archeaologist Starter.
- Update: Archeaologist Starter is now slightly harder to unlock.
- Update: The bonuses gained from a Potion of Power has tripled.
- Update: Potions have random skins if they are not identified.
- Update: The Mystic Mold pet has a proper icon now.
- Update: Moggy and Meena do not automatically attack unmoving mimics anymore.
- Update: Any invisible character can try to steal from a shop.
- Update: There is now a % chance based on pet DEX and shopkeeper WIS if pets can
steal from shops without being detected and alert the guards to become agressive!
- Update: Charged items like crossbows and wands reduce in value when ammo is used.
- Update: Recorded new voices for the Mercenaries in the Soldier Starter.
- Update: Improved the Brom and Mim AI in the adventurer starter.
- Update: Revised the Vampire Boss battle in the Catacombs Level 1.
- Update: Updated parts of the Orb Storm spell, it's slightly weaker now.
- Update: The whole Burning Hands spell was remade and improved.
- Update: Removed over 70 junk files.
- Update: The missile spell was tuned down for game balance.
- Update: Mana Return rate was reduced by about 25%
- Update: Reduced the regeneration rate for various monsters.
- Update: Torches give slightly more light.
- Update: Taking screenshots now initiates a timer for the next shot.
- Update: Iron balls now reduce speed five times more than before.
- Update: Lances are less powerful than before.
- Update: Speed potions now have duration of 1 minute instead of 20 seconds.
- Bugfix: The Musketoon now correctly pierces (ignores) armor.
- Bugfix: Defeating the Deamon Lord exports your character (Three times is the charm)
- Bugfix: Fixed Wand of Missile particle spawning bug.
- Bugfix: Fixed Stalker AI bug that caused them to walk into pits.
- Bugfix: You can now properly split mana potion stacks.
- Bugfix: Fixed some incorrect pricing for different items around the game.
- Bugfix: Hopefully removed the bug that caused the game to crash when Squidgies were nearby.
- Bugfix: Rogues do not poison themselves when using Katana or Handcrossbow anymore.
- Bugfix: Various messaging errors were fixed.
- Bugfix: A bug causing shopkeepers not to tell about transactions properly.
- Bugfix: The Wand of Missile properly burns out after all charges are gone.
- Bugfix: Added about 6 missing script functions
- Bugfix: Fixed the Paladin Halo skill bug.
- Bugfix: Fixed various skin colors that were inverted.
- Bugfix: The boss door in the Ash Palace now open and closes correctly.
- Bugfix: The weapon Sloth correctly reduces movement speed again.
- Bugfix: Fixed Rogue stealth bug.
- Bugfix: A bug causing held objects to lose transparency.
- Bugfix: Fixed the Speed skill reducing speed instead of increasing it.
- Bugfix: Fixed missing global icons when playing an Starter module after a normal one.
- Bugfix: Dexterity now correctly applies when aiming ranged weapons.
- Bugfix: Fixed the Crypt module using an old version of the life potion script.
- Bugfix: The Forgotten Fortress now correctly unlocks itself.
- Bugfix: Added missing Moggy NPC in the Forgotten Fortress module.
- Bugfix: A tool object in the water palace not being hidden.
Last edited by Zefz on Mon Nov 10, 2008 8:13 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Feenfleisch
Grub Bug (Rookie)
Grub Bug (Rookie)

Post by Feenfleisch »

wizzard starter:

- spellbook of the burnig hand drops gold but have no magic effect
- the hell rover run after the ritual again a wall and then he dosent move
- mana return ist a little bit to fast

sand palace:

- sand troll is overrated. i cant kill him with my wizzard (2nd level, wand and magic missles)

various things:

inventory failure after the start a module. my left hand a always empty and in my right i hold a wrong item
Last edited by Feenfleisch on Sun Nov 02, 2008 5:54 pm, edited 7 times in total.
Cimeries
Lumberjack (Developer)
Lumberjack (Developer)

Post by Cimeries »

One of the Lumpkins in the elf start has no weapons.

Something is wrong with the way longbows are aimed, with 19 dex (2nd Elf), I only hit 2 shots out of 34 fired, with the target being reasonably close!

The screenshot function takes more shots as the button is held! I accidentally took three at a time. This is just like the pause feature, there should be a timer that disables the button for several seconds.

You should replace my Archie title with the one Birdsey made in his tut.

My game crashed when I dropped Merlin's (the premade character's) gunpowder box...
It also did when I dropped Loggy's Shield and Giant dagger...
It then happened again when I was doing the #+X EXP cheat with Merlin...
All three incidents happened In the Forgotten Fortress module.

The new skull Icon is okay, but I think it would look better if the flames were removed.

The rogue is way too quick in the starting area, when he is holding the ball.

The rogue used the hiding skill randomly while I was moving, it took him a while to shake it off when I began moving again.
Last edited by Cimeries on Sun Nov 02, 2008 5:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
:wink:
Shade
Potion Mimic (Senior Member)

Post by Shade »

- Balancement issues -

* In my opinion, torches don't give enough light. In some places it's so dark that even with a torch, you still can't see the floor; to have any real benefit from them, you need to carry two torches at the same time. You might want to increase their light intensity from 0.7 to at least something 0.9-ish.
* The aim of crossbows is horrible. There's no way it can be right that a 3rd level adventurer (with 16 DEX) needs 27 shots of a silver crossbow to hit a crab right in front of him even only a single time.
* Potions of speed seem kinda useless now; their effect is still awesome, but it only lasts a ridiculously short time. I used the one I got from the chest in the shadow palace and even though I didn't stop running, it only lasted until I reached the blind spot at the opposite side. It should last at least twice as long as that.
* Missile is kinda overpowered now. My adventurer can rush through all palaces with it and kill everything before it get's a chance to touch him - and that warlock in the ash palace using missile against the player killed me in one shot with it. And I had 12 life, 4th level. :shock:

- Bugs -

* Whenever I start a module, my items seem to be shifted through my inventory. My left hand always is empty (the item is put into my inventory instead) and my right hand holds what my left hand held in the previous module, which is very annoying (especially with torches...).
* In the water palace, when you enter the room with the crabs a second time, you can see a golden key at the floor before being ambushed (it disappears when you fully enter). Looks wrong...
* When you apply an oil flask to your lamp, it says "[NAME] whipped out an oil flask." (with [NAME] being the name of your character, of course). Wrong message?
* Even though I brought that adventurer guy in bishopia to his sister Meena and it said "NEW MODULE UNLOCKED", no new module shows up in the menu. I also know why: forgottenfortress checks for a module called "bishopia.mod", but such a module doesn't exist. It's actually called "bishopiacity.mod".

- Various things -

* The script of the crypt's life potion looked different from the others... It might be that this one uses an old life potion script that doesn't allow you to drop them if you use them while at full health.
* In the game directory, the oil flask's name is inconsistent; it's sometimes called oilflask and sometimes oilpotion.
* You might want to make the life potion a global object too, just like book.obj; it's used in almost every single module, after all. Just change its slot number to one every module can use; if another object in some module already uses that slot, switch it.
* In the adventurer starter, keeping your AI-comrades away from the gelfeet is next to impossible once you approach it; even if you leave them alone with it, they won't follow you if you're unlucky. You ought to do something about that.
* Mana return is awesome now; even for adventurers there can be a point in casting spells other than orb storm now. It's neither too fast nor too slow. I love it.
* The "DEX affects weapon attack speed"-thingie seems much better now.

- Other comments -

The standard video settings still make my computer lag badly (although not quite as bad as before). Maybe tune them down another bit?
(These settings work best for me:)
{GRAPHIC}
[MAX_NUMBER_VERTICES] : "100"
[COLOR_DEPTH] : "16"
[Z_DEPTH] : "32"
[FULLSCREEN] : "TRUE"
[Z_REFLECTION] : "FALSE"
[SCREENSIZE_X] : "800"
[SCREENSIZE_Y] : "600"
[MAX_TEXT_MESSAGE] : "6"
[STATUS_BAR] : "TRUE"
[PERSPECTIVE_CORRECT] : "FALSE"
[TEXTURE_FILTERING] : "BILINEAR"
[GOURAUD_SHADING] : "TRUE"
[ANTIALIASING] : "FALSE"
[DITHERING] : "FALSE"
[REFLECTION] : "TRUE"
[SHADOWS] : "TRUE"
[SHADOW_AS_SPRITE] : "TRUE"
[PHONG] : "TRUE"
[FOG] : "FALSE"
[FLOOR_REFLECTION_FADEOUT] : "FALSE"
[MULTI_LAYER_WATER] : "FALSE"
[OVERLAY] : "FALSE"
[BACKGROUND] : "FALSE"

More will follow. I just tested the adventurer yet, and the following modules:

- Adventurer Starter
- Zippy City
- Sand Palace
- Water Palace
- Shadow Palace
- Bishopia City
- Ash Palace (didn't beat it yet though)
Last edited by Shade on Sun Nov 02, 2008 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Maxaxle
Darkshine Knight (Extremist fanatic)

Post by Maxaxle »

ONLY going from the G'nome Starter:
-The fact that you can't use swords is a real impediment, but it is possible to beat the crap out of all of the Lumpkins with a claw and gonnes.
-Clouds get in the way of the camera no matter what altitude your camera is at.
-White Beard is almost impossible to protect!

Sidenote: The G'nomish 4th armor (G'nomish powerarmor) is INSANELY sluggish!
Question: What do the blue shoes do?
"Failing to plan is planning to fail."
Bug me if you want to play a game.
bgbirdsey
{]-[0{0|307 (Developer)
{]-[0{0|307 (Developer)

Post by bgbirdsey »

I used the cheat to level up the adventurer and he moved REALLY SLOW at level 17.

EDIT
also, my frame rate is up over 255 FPS, which makes some things pretty hard, like moving the camera.

EDIT
also, the rogue's leg ball used to be a pretty good weapon, though slow. now it is pretty suckalicious
Last edited by bgbirdsey on Sun Nov 02, 2008 5:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Cimeries
Lumberjack (Developer)
Lumberjack (Developer)

Post by Cimeries »

bgbirdsey wrote:I used the cheat to level up the adventurer and he moved REALLY SLOW at level 17.

Same here, with some other characters as well.
Did you implement a new physics size-to-speed thingey?
Maxaxle

Post by Maxaxle »

ALSO: The Forgotten Fortress still contains 3 of everything despite the fact that Muggy is missing. And cheating is SUPER-SLOW.
[edit]The Gonnepowder Box has an unfinished "POW!" decal on two sides and seems to do nothing when used. Also, when my hands are empty in the G'nome starter, there are two Whitebeard icons for my hands.
PLEASE FIX THE FACE=BOOK=EMPTY HANDS THING![/edit]
Zefz

Post by Zefz »

Great, great. Lemme browse through some of these.

ALSO: The Forgotten Fortress still contains 3 of everything despite the fact that Muggy is missing. And cheating is SUPER-SLOW.

That's a bug. I fixed it. Super slow cheating? Does that mean you think you get xp too slow? Also cheating is just a debug feature, nothing that affects gameplay.

Same here, with some other characters as well.
Did you implement a new physics size-to-speed thingey?

Negative. I am not sure what is causing this. Maybe it is because of the size increase each character has at level up?

also, the rogue's leg ball used to be a pretty good weapon, though slow. now it is pretty suckalicious

I have not changed it since the last release. How does it suck? Too slow? (Might be connected to the new game timer)

also, my frame rate is up over 255 FPS, which makes some things pretty hard, like moving the camera.

Increasing GFX too the maximum seems to be the only fix for this right now. Maybe it isn't too much work to hardcode a FPS limit?

-The fact that you can't use swords is a real impediment, but it is possible to beat the crap out of all of the Lumpkins with a claw and gonnes.
-Clouds get in the way of the camera no matter what altitude your camera is at.
-White Beard is almost impossible to protect!

Sidenote: The G'nomish 4th armor (G'nomish powerarmor) is INSANELY sluggish!
Question: What do the blue shoes do?

Well the G'nomes have Gunpowder, while the Soldier has his sword. The clouds are kinda the point, you can disable them by reducing 3D effects in video options. G'nomes are known to be foolish brave. If he does manage to survive (with your help), you are awarded some bonus xp :) The speed compensates for the INSANE amount of defence the armor gives. It is the best armor in the game. Wielding a claw you also gain a stacking 1 regeneration bonus. Blue shoes are waterstriding methinks. Or running. Identify them.

Ranged weapon aiming issues

I think we need to revise how DEX affects aiming.

Potions of speed seem kinda useless now; their effect is still awesome, but it only lasts a ridiculously short time. I used the one I got from the chest in the shadow palace and even though I didn't stop running, it only lasted until I reached the blind spot at the opposite side. It should last at least twice as long as that.

Yes. Potions of speed should increase duration to 1 minute or so (triple of previous).

Missile is kinda overpowered now. My adventurer can rush through all palaces with it and kill everything before it get's a chance to touch him - and that warlock in the ash palace using missile against the player killed me in one shot with it. And I had 12 life, 4th level

Reducing the damage this spell deals might be the solution. From 2-4 to 1-3 might already be the fix. (Or even to 1-2)

Whenever I start a module, my items seem to be shifted through my inventory. My left hand always is empty (the item is put into my inventory instead) and my right hand holds what my left hand held in the previous module, which is very annoying (especially with torches...).

Strange! I haven't changed the inventory handling system. Oh wait. This is probably a bug in the linking code bridsey gave me. It included new code for exporting.

In the water palace, when you enter the room with the crabs a second time, you can see a golden key at the floor before being ambushed (it disappears when you fully enter). Looks wrong...

That's probably moduletool.obj not being properly invisible.

When you apply an oil flask to your lamp, it says "[NAME] whipped out an oil flask." (with [NAME] being the name of your character, of course). Wrong message?

Easy fix.

Even though I brought that adventurer guy in bishopia to his sister Meena and it said "NEW MODULE UNLOCKED", no new module shows up in the menu. I also know why: forgottenfortress checks for a module called "bishopia.mod", but such a module doesn't exist. It's actually called "bishopiacity.mod".

Good spotting. Simple fix too.

* The script of the crypt's life potion looked different from the others... It might be that this one uses an old life potion script that doesn't allow you to drop them if you use them while at full health.
* In the game directory, the oil flask's name is inconsistent; it's sometimes called oilflask and sometimes oilpotion.
* You might want to make the life potion a global object too, just like book.obj; it's used in almost every single module, after all. Just change its slot number to one every module can use; if another object in some module already uses that slot, switch it.

That's what the whole global object repository is for! I've been wanting to add that one a long time, but there are some issues in adding it.

In the adventurer starter, keeping your AI-comrades away from the gelfeet is next to impossible once you approach it; even if you leave them alone with it, they won't follow you if you're unlucky. You ought to do something about that.

Maybe it is time to improve Aarons ancient AI?

Standard video settings will be reduced then.

One of the Lumpkins in the elf start has no weapons.

Strange. A easy fix I guess.

The screenshot function takes more shots as the button is held! I accidentally took three at a time. This is just like the pause feature, there should be a timer that disables the button for several seconds.

Alright, another timer should be no problem to add.

My game crashed when I dropped Merlin's (the premade character's) gunpowder box...
It also did when I dropped Loggy's Shield and Giant dagger...
It then happened again when I was doing the #+X EXP cheat with Merlin...
All three incidents happened In the Forgotten Fortress module.

This has all to do with the Forgotten Fortress Module, nothing else. I think it is because one of the AI scripts there is missing a "enter" after the End function (Haven't found it yet).

The rogue is way too quick in the starting area, when he is holding the ball.

Speed will be reduced more then.

The rogue used the hiding skill randomly while I was moving, it took him a while to shake it off when I began moving again.

Higher level characters can stealth while moving. I guess I can fix it so that he only initiates stealth when standing still and then keeps being stealthy while moving (at higher levels).

- spellbook of the burnig hand drops gold but have no magic effect
- the hell rover run after the ritual again a wall and then he dosent move
- mana return ist a little bit to fast
- sand troll: overrated i can kill him with my wizzard (wand and magic missles)

Burning hands needs to be fixed. Hell Rover AI has a bug too it seems. According to clonkinator the mana return is perfect. We will need more testing on that point. Maybe the solution is so simple as to reduce the mana return stat of the Wizard.
I think the magic missile spell is the cause of the unbalance.[/code]
Cimeries
Lumberjack (Developer)
Lumberjack (Developer)

Post by Cimeries »

The evil paladin is too weak, one charge of my lance killed him :| (Maybe the lance is overpowered?)

The merc's ouch voices in the soldier start don't match, some sound like a street thug, while other sound like a G'nome. I also liked the old merc skins better.

Brazier's light flickers, but it looks very unrealistic, it made a nearby bookcase look like it's cursed :\
Zefz

Post by Zefz »

Chainsaw wrote:The evil paladin is too weak, one charge of my lance killed him :| (Maybe the lance is overpowered?)

The merc's ouch voices in the soldier start don't match, some sound like a street thug, while other sound like a G'nome. I also liked the old merc skins better.

Brazier's light flickers, but it looks very unrealistic, it made a nearby bookcase look like it's cursed :\

The lance is probably overpowered yes.
I like the new skins, I've heard other people like it too. I removed the old ones because they were same as Zippy guards. Either we keep the existing ones, replace the ones in Zippy or make new skins for mercs.

I know, this has irritated me too in the past. It is because braziers constantly spawn light particles.

[edit]Gone through a number of the bugs. I did not see a lumpkin without a weapon in spawn.txt. Maybe it got hurt somehow and dropped its weapon (lumpkins tend to drop weapons when damaged)

Look at first post at things that have been fixed.[/edit]

[edit]The Gonnepowder Box has an unfinished "POW!" decal on two sides and seems to do nothing when used. Also, when my hands are empty in the G'nome starter, there are two Whitebeard icons for my hands.
PLEASE FIX THE FACE EMPTY HANDS THING![/edit]
The powderbox isnt supposed to be in the game yet. I just gave it to merlin for debugging purpose. Download the powderbox to gain the correct one.

That icon bug sounds strange and irritating. I wonder why this happens, maybe something in the export/linking code?
bgbirdsey
{]-[0{0|307 (Developer)
{]-[0{0|307 (Developer)

Post by bgbirdsey »

I used merlin in the crypt and couldn't kill the boss. also, he spawned in one of the braziers and was using his "ouch" sound constantly
Maxaxle

Post by Maxaxle »

@Zefz: The G'nome seems to use swords in the Forgotten Fortress, but not in his starter. I think this is because of outdated swords.
Shade

Post by Shade »

Yes, as I said, the mana return is pretty much perfect now imo; slightly lowering the damage missile does should fix the issue. 1-2 damage sounds good, considering intelligence still adds some bonus damage and it doesn't take very much mana to cast. Also, later when you're able to shoot three or four missiles at the same time, it will still deal a nice amount of damage.

Alright, other than that, more stuff:

- Balancement issues -

* The Yeti's regeneration rate is too friggin' high. Even after bashing his ice form for about 10 minutes with my 6th level adventurer and a sword (and scoring about 150 critical hits), he didn't seem to have any intention of dying... ...I was only able to kill him after I gave up, bought a book of orb storm, returned and slammed four full volleys of 12 orbs right into his face. ...so after all, I have a feeling that the life return rates of monsters (Yeti, Sand Troll, probably the demon lord as well) should be reduced significantly... ...unless their actual life return when they're in their stone form is handled by their script, in which case that one should be tuned down instead.

- Bugs -

* The door behind the watcher in the ash palace won't open. Instead, you can walk right through it...
* Something really weird just happened... I shot the squidgies in the ice palace with my beloved orb storm. While two of them instantly died, the third one seemed to be dazed and went backwards into the corner. When I approached it to finish it off with my sword, it did it's usual squidgie-sound and suddenly just disappeared. I then met it again in the adjacent room with the cobols, lol.
* When you take a book of orb storm out of your inventory, it says "[NAME] found a book of orb storm.". ...wrong message, again?

- Various things -

* In the ash palace, warlocks sometimes teleport onto the walls or into the lava. That's rather silly...
* Potions are transparent when they're on the floor, but solid when they're held. Looks rather silly...
* When you pick up your tundra bunny while it's carrying a fire bow, it says "[NAME] coughed up a a Long Bowball...". Isn't that one "a" too much?
* Stalkers aren't just invisible now, they're gone.
* In the player directory, there always is a strange 8.obj... It's one of the player's items, but the icon shown there is a crossbow with a white arrow instead of the object's actual icon. If you're packed to the max, that item completely disappears out of your inventory when you start a module (which is horribly annoying)... ...and if you rename that folder to 0.obj, it actually turns into a crossbow (I didn't bother trying to use it though)...

Again, more will follow.
PurpleSquerkle
Massive Gelfeet (Developer)
Massive Gelfeet (Developer)

Post by PurpleSquerkle »

Just a couple things; I've hardly played, really.
I've only just skimmed this topic, so maybe some of this stuff has been brought up already. But whatever.

-Bgbirdsey's skull is certainly cool, but to me it's just different. Not necessarily better. I think there should be many icons as options, with the classic skull being the default.

-Funny stuff in the Forgotten Fortress; Moggy is not there at all, and when the grubs fall, a shield and mallet fall as well. Huh?

-Mana return is just too high. Way too high for some things.