Unofficial 2.8.2 Beta thread

Report bugs, errors and balance issues you may encounter ingame here.

Moderator: Developers

Seth
Chest Mimic (Community member)

Unofficial 2.8.2 Beta thread

Post by Seth »

Hullo…

¶ I must apologize if this thread comes off as redundant, given that there is still an open thread announcing this version, but I am assuming that it would be more organised to make a thread concentrating on the technical aspects, rather than general information. Perhaps this post could be merged to some other topic if you see this thread as unnecessary.
¶ Once you have downloaded this Windows’ beta, and præsumably un‐installed any prævious versions you may have had before installing this, it is a good idea to pay attention to the log folder, which could be located in a local address called “C:\Users\[your name]\AppData\Roaming\egoboo\debug”, or otherwise indirectly in “My Egoboo Stuff”. If you feel it is necessary to copy‐and‐paste your log in its entirety, I would recommend putting it in a spoiler to save up space in this thread!
¶ I shall begin by listing the problems I have found so far, in no particular order. Firstly:

I. The “restart module” tab simply freezes Egoboo.
II. The lamps can only be turned on for brief moments before they are involuntarily shut off by your heroes.
III. The cursor is not displayïng correctly; the mouse’s icon is a white square.
IV. Ghouls cannot be harmed by (blunt) weapons; “healing” might be the only way to damage these monsters now. That makes the Healer module considerably tædious.
V. Editing the “sneak” command is impossible to do in‐game, I could not apply any keys to it.
VI. The hints seem to be ‘cut’ off my screen, perhaps due to the font size, or my resolution.
VII. Sometimes the avatars in the playër select will turn into books. Could any of you guess why that might be happening?
VIII. Some description typos: “preform”*, “rogueish”, Heist Module; “luckly”, “sheperds”, Zippy Village.
*In its context.
IX. The owner of Zippy’s magic shoppe is displayïng incorrectly.
X. There is a red, transparent booke in Zippy Village, which turns into a mimic when purchased.
XI. I sometimes could not control my characters within loading a new module, just alter the camera. Perhaps this occurs shortly after completing a module.
XII. The Hellrover has a tendency to ‘climb’ the walls in order to reach his summoner.
XIII. The health bar will turn into its normal colour a few minutes after characters are poisoned, even though they are still poisoned.

¶ Most of these (except maybe № I) are not highly critical; I have only tested for a brief time. Although ‘game‐breaking’ errors should ideally be listed first, you may contribute all of your reports here. I personally would be interested in seeïng reports that contradict any of my findings. If you have requests, you may ask me at any time.
Last edited by Seth on Sat Mar 26, 2011 5:26 am, edited 2 times in total.
Zefz
Squirrel Knight (Administrator)

Re: Unofficial 2.8.2 Beta thread

Post by Zefz »

Okay I have been able to fix some of the issues, but I have not been able to confirm these issues:

Code: Select all

I. The “restart module” tab simply freezes Egoboo.
III. The cursor is not displayïng correctly; the mouse’s icon is a white square.
V. Editing the “sneak” command is impossible to do in-game, I could not apply any keys to it.
They work just fine for me...
Seth

Post by Seth »

I. The “restart module” tab simply freezes Egoboo
¶ Perhaps it is related to my system? I want to note that I have been experiencing this issue in Egoboo since ∼2.8, I am guessing.

¶ Have you tried editing your texture filtering? These cause that error for me: mipmap, bilinear, trilinear 1 and trilinear 2. The other options seem to display the cursor finely, however.

V. Editing the “sneak” command is impossible to do in-game, I could not apply any keys to it.
¶ This was an un‐intended exaggeration of mine; I recently discovered that shift, ctrl, alt—both left or right—and caps lock cannot be binded to “sneak”, in my case.
Zefz

Post by Zefz »

Maybe the first issue is fixed in the 2.8.2b revision?

Texture filtering could indeed affect rendering of the cursor. Not sure why though...

Yes I also noticed that CTRL or SHIFT keys don't work for input assignment. That is a bug of some sort.
Lordofdragonss

Post by Lordofdragonss »

I downloaded newest SVN version and after I chose module this always happens:

Image FEED ME!
Zefz

Post by Zefz »

The SVN is actually older than the 2.8.2 (beta) release. I haven't uploaded for a while (I am doing so while writing this). Try the new SVN revision.
Lordofdragonss

Post by Lordofdragonss »

So I downloaded the newest version and... the same error appears everytime. But now after loading. (Before it appeared after I chose the module)
Image FEED ME!
Zefz

Post by Zefz »

Then you are either not using the correct binary or the latest version -> Egoboo 2.8.2 (beta)

I just checked and the error message you get is completely removed in the latest revision.

Make sure you have revision 1550: http://egoboo.sourceforge.net/SVN_build ... -r1550.exe
Lordofdragonss

Post by Lordofdragonss »

I am using 2.8.2 version. (The menu says so).
Image FEED ME!
Zefz

Post by Zefz »

What module are you playing then?

I just tried out 2.8.2 (Beta) on revision 1550 in the Sand Palace loading 2 of my characters. Worked just fine.
Seth

Post by Seth »

¶ I downloaded the new SVN; I can no longer encounter frozen restarts. It is possible that I simply did not wait long enough, but regardless, restarting seems to function finely.
¶ I have not finished the Sand Palace of this edition yet. Problems I have found so far:
1. Frights (flaming skulls) will never be vanquished by “healing” them.
2. The Paladin module seems to be missing the items it needs to be completed; neither the first or second rooms of the sarcophaguses contain keys!
3. Swinging a weapon will cause your character to move slightly. I am un‐sure if this is intended.
4. It is almost impossible to get injured by ghouls. Sometimes jumping during their attacks can cause injury, however.
5. Sometimes “Immune” pops up when idols are attacked. I find this misleading, as idols could still be destroyed with the same weapon used præviöusly.
6. A Healer’s tip contains a typo: “Dont”. “Don’t” or “Do not” would be better.
7. Curiöusly, the default Paladins have no un‐armed attacks.
8. A tranch is missing from one of the first four idols of the Healer module.
9. A tranch is missing in the second chest of the Sand Palace. Although the Sand Palace already has plenty of tranches anyway!
10. Tile mimics are still not functioning correctly.
11. Rug mimics are very hard to find because they are usually invisible unless they are attacking.
12. Magic missiles have trouble reaching monsters of small heights; tranches are much harder to destroy with such missiles.
13. Typos in the Soldier module description: “infanous” (infamous) and “improsoned” (imprisoned).
14. When I use my ‘attack’ (use) commands on top of Bishopia, I never enter. I can not find another way in.
15. I put my Magic Missile booke and my Falling Sword booke in my inventory, then when I entered the Sand Palace: those books disappeared! Similar happened with my healer: my mace and shield are gone. Oddly, the item in the upper‐left space does not vanish.
16. Characters randomly slide around in the Bishopian plains.
17. Gelfeet (at least of the Adventurer module) can not move unless there is interference from attackers; gelfeet never use a planned path any more.
¶ It also seems that all foes are more difficult to hit, as direct contact seems to be in‐adæquate. Perhaps extensive testing is required.
Last edited by Seth on Mon Mar 21, 2011 7:15 am, edited 6 times in total.
Zefz

Post by Zefz »

7. Curiously, the default Paladins have no un‐armed attacks
This is because they gain the unarmed healing ability after they beat the module!
Seth

Post by Seth »

Zefz wrote:This is because they gain the unarmed healing ability after they beat the module!
¶ I am aware of that. I noted this observation because not beïng able to punch could be inconvenient if playërs lost any usable weapons. I once had to re‐obtain my hammer because I died in that little infestation of Grub Bugs.
Lordofdragonss

Post by Lordofdragonss »

I tried all modules (with many diferent characters) and it always crashes :/
Image FEED ME!
Zefz

Post by Zefz »

Hmmm, now why would it not work for you but still work for everyone else?

Could be you are using some different settings? But if the error message is about weather4.txt then the error is definitely in the binary you are running (because no references to weather4.txt exist anymore in the latest version - which is why they have been deleted and would be detected as "missing" by older binaries)