Take caution. Make some sandwiches before reading this topic or you might starve halfways inside.
The bugs were found with the revision incorrectly known as 2001...
IMPORTANT/OF MEDIUM IMPORTANCE (but still nasty)
* Dead enemies horribly flicker if they are next to a door or inside a wall. Stepping on such a dead character often freezes the game and finally crashes it.
* In Sand Palace, the game once froze. The ticker (not the in-game ticker, but the DOS window system report thingy) said "spawn_one_enchant() failed because target was not alive" thrice before it happened.
* In Ash Palace, Ice Palace and Cobol Palace, the game freezes/crashes very often - without any errors in ticker or log except the occasional "spawn_one_enchant() failed because target [...]". In Ice Palace and Cobol Palace, it even sometimes simply quits without any warning and without the OS noticing anything strange. In Ice Palace, the game especially likes to crash when you are battling the Rust Eater. Which extremely sucks and is demotivating. I had already exterminated all its maggots and severely damaged it thrice... and every time, my efforts were ended by the game either freezing or simply collapsing. Otherwise the fight with the rusty would be so much fun...
* Shadow Palace (often) and Ice Palace (rarely) get a warning:
WARN: spawn_one_enchant() - failed because the required enchant owner cannot be found.
* When you restart a module, skins get messed up horribly.
* Fireballs either just fly around and simply disappear, or they hit enemies in a way much like a missile - a tiny particle blast and the enemy is damaged.
* Blud of insects, cockatrices and lumpkins still doesn't despawn. The blud of some others, like mosquitos, trogs or cobols, does, though.
* Basically, Combat Blessing is extremely buggy. It sometimes sets the users life somewhere next to 0 (empty health bar), though it never kills the user itself. Also, it sometimes puts out torches while charging. Also, the divine light effect it casts is sometimes invisible and it sometimes makes grubs (and others? Haven't tested...) invulnerable to your attacks and you invulnerable to theirs (team change?)
The problem occured with a 2.7.4 healer with a 2.7.4 rune in 2.8.0, though... not tested with 2.8.0 stuff.
* After restarting the World Map, the friendly Ulna once could absorb Holy Touch, bump damage (from the Healer skill that deals Holy damage to bumped undead) and combat blessing like a living creature.
* Items thrown into a shop (e. g. daggers thrown on a chest mimic) are not recognized by the shopkeeper, but he still wants money for them when you want to pick them up again.
* Missiles cannot bounce off walls anymore; they despawn on first hit instead.
* If you use the Elf Armor chest in Sand Palace (which contains a tuxedo no matter what you wear when entering the module, btw), it doesn't contain your previous armor afterwards. Coming there with a Dragon Hide means that you're stuck with that stupid Tuxedo, at least for the rest of the module.
* Petrified trolls are sometimes invulnerable. I don't know if that particular example was already dead and simply didn't poof (the doors opened), but I could damage it neither with a mallet nor with a Ring of Flames spell (that instantly kills it otherwise).
* After beating a Palace, the quest status isn't saved - [MAIN] in quest.txt is not increased. I had to set it manually to continue. Also, quests you take (Cobol Palace, imprisoned one) don't get their entry in quest.txt.
* Darkvision skill does not work in Shadow Palace. It is still pitch black. I mostly used missiles for lighting my way...
* Sporks are not stackable. Wasn't it planned to make them stackable a few months ago? I could imagine that there are troubles with stacking named - and basically just different - objects, though...
* The Cobol Palace does not unlock even if you read at Sandweg that a secret module would have been unlocked.
* Whips snap with abnormal speed (~10 snaps per second), at least if wielded by my elf (Dex 28; not tested with others). When wielded by a cobol or any other enemy/NPC, their speed is normal.
* Identify doesn't properly work - the scroll is always reported as wasted, and the name of the object isn't made known. Tested with the bracelet at Sand Palace and the kursed broadsword of Ice Palace.
* Stealing does not work - if you grab something while invisible or stealthy, the shopkeeper tells you you would lack the money or takes the price as if you were visible.
* If you accidentally take off an amulet/a bracelet/shoes, you will often not put them on by putting them away. To activate them again, you often need to drop then and pick them up.
* Zippy contains an ownerless crossbow in front of a house. You can get a crossbow for free as often as you want...
* Cockatrices are announced to paralyze a character even if the character is already dead, if they score the lethal bite.
* If a character without a boredom message becomes bored, it causes messages like "The rogue has been broken!" or "Haley grabbed a rogue" (it should be "Bard" - see oots 307!) or "".... PLEASE DO NOT FIX THIS!! I like it.
* The range of Holy Touch is very wimpy. Even with my 6th level Healer, who reached 1/3 of the screen in 2.7.4, it barely hits someone directly standing in front of her. But unlike when I tried to play the starter a few weeks ago, I didn't cast "Healdouken", as chevkcx called it (Holy Touch is flinged through the whole room)... Have you fixed that bug or does it occur with 2.8.0 healers only?
* Stealthed characters sometimes look weird - it seems like their head becomes transparent and reveals the back of the character.
* The game tries to load a module-local gelfeet object file that doesn't exist in the Shadow Palace - must be a relict from the time when a global folder didn't exist.
* Ghouls in Shadow Palace rise either extremely fast or not at all.
* If you step on a dead Darkshine Knight, you see a floating message of "Blocked".
* Characters get bored extremely often - they baseballkirby/hello/anydaynow/break/... after about 3 seconds.
* Hotdog breath hurts the rider.
* Backstab messages in the ticker are displayed twice.
* The switch tile in the bumper car module does not work.
* You can damage bumper cars with missile.
* You get Katanas and Stilettos in the Sandweg weapon shop for free, because the shopkeeper does neither sell them nor pay for them. ("I don't take money for that!" or something similar)
* Enchant and Size eat your mana away terribly fast - (as a Level 3-5 elf) you cannot have your weapon enchanted or be oversized for longer than 5 seconds.
* You can only move in a single direction while dual wielding (like you can do with katanas or torches).
* Stalkers in Shadow Palace are not spawned.
* Footfall sounds tend to be very annoying. I'd like an option to completely disable them.
* Shuffling Heaps either move extremely fast or very very [...] very slow.
* Braziers deal damage if you bump into them anywhere, and not just if you bump into the burning part.
* AI enemies happily jump into lava or freezing water, often killing themself, just to attack me. CoboLemmings?
* Darkshine knights tend to attack walls until you get in close range to them.
* The "monster" from Imprisoned One is seemingly able to fly. It flings itself through the room and spams
its poison bubbles on you.
* The Ash Palace Watcher's poison is not stopped by healing.
* It seems like cobol mages could create ~8 missiles if you don't kill them while they charge. Are they really much more intelligent than my Elf (Int 29, 5 missiles)?
* Hurting the rust eater often does not create floating text.
* If you override something with a Strider, the strider is considered the killer. Done on purpose or a bug?
* Missiles often hit mounts instead of their riders. IMO, they should always home on the riders.
* Successful magical unlocking always gives out "Nothing seems to happen" plus "The door is already open."
* Unlocking the door of the Cobol Mage room does not work; you can walk through the - still visible - door after "unlocking" it, but the middle part is not trespassable.
Thankfully, I don't have any problems with saving a character after playing a module anymore! Collecting coins in most cases works too, though no sound is played. But sometimes you just bump into the coins and they bounce away.
By the way: it is called a book of "disinter
I'm not a grammar nazi (Beware
), but I think that fixing typos always improves a game. But this typo is funny, and I think that it could be otherwise improved... What if there was an orb of disintegration and an orb of "disinterrogation" or such that simply casts a mediocre gray sparkle blast, but asks the enemies weird questions if you hit them with it?
"How does it feel to be a cobol?" (insert class of hit enemy for "cobol")
"Tired of croaking Trogs with boring, meaningless weapons? Then the Death Device is just right for you! It creates a beautiful cluster of ions that frazzles your enemies with massive electricity of god-like power. Order it now for just 72369 zennies! G'nomish Industries cannot hold responsibility for flaws of the devices, self-combustion or your enemies not actually being frazzled." (any other parody of a Komato ad would be suitable, too, of course.)
"What do you think about the current political situation and the newest events regarding King Bishop's disappearance and the ?"
"Do ya have a zenny? for me?"
"Wanna be friends with me?"
"Do you like stupid interviews?"
"Are you just too dumb to implode??"
"Would you please go away and find another Wood Elf to enervate?" (insert user class for "Wood Elf")
This item should be somehow hidden (what about a boring-looking crate in a palace, that can only be destroyed with an item you can get somewhere else? This item could be something like a "mushroom shovel" a certain NPC could craft for you if you hold a mushroom and a shovel while talking to them...)