2.8.x crash at startup

Report bugs, errors and balance issues you may encounter ingame here.

Moderator: Developers

Shade
Potion Mimic (Senior Member)

Re: 2.8.x crash at startup

Post by Shade »

I think I somehow fixed the crashing issue (it appears that it was related to Norton somehow. I uninstalled Norton, and most of my games suddenly stopped crashing); at least it appears to run fine now.

Any progress at all regarding the 2.8.2 crashing issue, or any progress regarding a new release in general? I'd love to get back to development (or rather, fix gameplay/balance issues), but yeah.

I'll also try 2.8.0 (stable) while I'm at it.
EDIT: Nope, doesn't work. Same error as 2.8.1 and 2.8.2. Notable? It tries to use "My Egoboo Stuff" rather than its root folder. 2.6.8 doesn't.
Trying 2.7.4 next.

EDIT2: 2.7.4 works (kind of; when trying to load a character, the game goes back to the main menu instead, but that's probably a different issue, and at least the game runs at all.). Notable? It does not use the "My Egoboo Stuff" thingie, and instead still works withhin its root folder only. I'm now pretty sure that the issue lies there. Note that my system language is set to German; maybe it's an issue with the language, leading the game to try to detect a folder that doesn't exist / has a different name?
My preferred solution to this would be, as I suggested before, to allow the user to choose during the installation whether the game should save the player's data withhin its root folder or in "My Egoboo Stuff". The Battle for Wesnoth did this last I checked, and it worked fine.

EDIT3: Actually, 2.7.4 going back to the main menu was me being an idiot and not understanding that I needed to click on the keyboard symbol to select that character instead of its name, so never mind that.
Agent of Dread
Protector (Senior Member)

Post by Agent of Dread »

You used Norton?! :lol: No wonder you were having problems.
- Linktree: linktr.ee/trilbs -
Shade

Post by Shade »

Agent of Dread wrote:You used Norton?!
Not because I wanted to, so give me a break.
Agent of Dread

Post by Agent of Dread »

Aha, okay, that defends your common sense a lot more. :P
- Linktree: linktr.ee/trilbs -
Shade

Post by Shade »

I'm not really in the mood for this right now, so if you don't know how to make 2.8.2 run on my system, would you kindly shut up for the time being? After all, you know, I experienced first-hand just how bad Norton sucks. There's really no need to rub it in.
Zefz
Squirrel Knight (Administrator)

Post by Zefz »

Progress is basically none from my side. This is kinda frustrating because the SVN version has all these nice new features and I've put a lot of work into Egoboo. Anyway, I haven't worked on Egoboo last 6 months or so, but I don't know if Birdsey has any progress.

I think last time we talked, we concluded that the crash error was some code bug because of accessing an array outside it's bounds (hard to track down).
Shade

Post by Shade »

Have you been busy in RL, or what's been stopping you? Just curious.

I mean, 2.7.4 is pretty unplayable due to the completely broken physics, and while 2.6.8 is fun and all (although it still occassionally crashes my system with an IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL error - I'm honestly not sure anymore at this point whether Egoboo or my system is at fault for this), it lacks a lot of the newer features. Even roflstomping the deamon lord in Abyss 1 over and over again with my elf gets boring after a while. ;/
Zefz

Post by Zefz »

Have you been busy in RL, or what's been stopping you? Just curious.
Been very busy in RL. In addition any spare time I had for programming went to other projects.

Another reason for not working on Egoboo is it's current state. Everytime I seem to solve a problem, two new appear. Birdsey says he has some major fixes incoming, so hopefully that will motivate me too :P

Getting the new version out would be cool 8) because:
- New inventory system
- Smarter AI pathfinding
- Splitscreen multiplayer
- Randomized loot in chests
- Armour as equipment items
- Bugfixes

For any future development I would say to improve gameplay and friendlier user-interface along with balancing. No more new gameplay content from my side.
General Public
Acid Blob (New member)
Acid Blob (New member)

Post by General Public »

I have the same exact problem as most people here (Crispy a.k.a. Party_Pooper, garrett, Maplik, and Shade) with Egoboo 2.8.x crashing on startup. This has happened with version 2.8.0, 2.8.1, 2.8.2 beta, and 2.9.0 RC1.

Not the same problem as octagon though.

I have tried all the solutions proposed by developers and none of them work. The test.zip file didn't work because a .dll was missing but I downloaded that .dll (apparently it uses a debug version of Visual C++ 2010) and once it had that .dll the test.zip program worked fine. According to Windows, my Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Redistributable is installed correctly, I had no errors with it or anything.

Anyway it has a console window open when it crashes. Here's a screenshot (in full 1920x1080 HD):
Egoboo 2.8.2 beta crashing on startup
Egoboo 2.8.2 beta crashing on startup
egoboo error.png (88.05 KiB) Viewed 10776 times
I run Windows XP Professional with Service Pack 3 (seems like EVERYONE with this bug happening has Windows XP while the people who don't have it have Vista or newer). My video card is an NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 4000. CPU is an AMD Sempron 2800+. 768 megs of ram. 80 gig IDE hard drive. Not exactly the newest computer, but it runs plenty of programs just fine. Egoboo 2.7.4 and earlier versions all run perfectly. Only 2.8.0 and later versions crash on startup. So it's obvious the problem was introduced in version 2.8.0. When it crashes from the console window, in 2.8.x, I get one of those Windows Error Reporting things about sending an error report to Microsoft. I've been saying "yes" and sending them. Just in case they figure out a solution. Who knows, they might.

But I figure it's more likely you folks will figure out how to fix it before Microsoft does. Please remember to test the game on Windows XP computers, since everyone reporting this bug seems to run Windows XP. So that's probably what you need to do to duplicate the bug: run Egoboo 2.8.x on a Windows XP computer. I suppose for now the workaround would be to either use 2.7.4 or earlier of Egoboo, or if you really want to play the latest version of Egoboo, to run it on Windows Vista or Windows 7 rather than Windows XP. Obviously the Mac and Linux versions are different... this issue seems to be specific to Windows XP. And it hasn't been fixed yet in the 2.9.0 RC1, either.

In closing, I have played version 2.7.4 a bit and it works fine. Great game! But I would really like to play it with the features available in version 2.8.2 beta! I really wish 2.8.x didn't crash on startup!

Oh, and what's the deal with 2.7.5 thru 2.7.7 coming out BEFORE 2.7.4, in fact BEFORE 2.6.0? That's some pretty weird version numbering going on there... usually the rule is, newer versions have higher numbers than older versions... Anyway, I hope ya fix this. In the meantime, I'm gonna play version 2.7.4 some more, because it works fine on my computer, and I want to play the most recent version that works. I guess 2.7.4 is it... And for reference to anyone reading this, the versions can all be found here: http://sourceforge.net/projects/egoboo/files/Windows Distro (32-bit)

I hope you enjoyed seeing my screenshot of this bug in full 1080p HD resolution. I carefully arranged things so you can see which program I executed, what folder it's in, you can see all the files in that folder, you can see the console window, and you can see the error reporting window. I was originally going to do this in a lower resolution but the console window takes up most of the screen in a low resolution and the windows overlap in a low resolution, so I had to use a high resolution to get everything to show. Oh, and in case you're gazing at how beautiful my Windows XP theme is and how it's a darker version of the Royale theme, I use the Windows XP Embedded visual style, which you can look up on Google if ya want, it's digitally signed by Microsoft so unlike most visual styles you don't need to hack your uxtheme.dll to install and use it. Out of all the Windows XP visual styles I've ever seen it's my favorite. The only thing missing from the screenshot is the mouse... apparently screenshots don't include the mouse if you do them the standard way, which is unfortunate, because I have very awesome-looking mouse cursors set up but you don't get to see them.
penguinflyer5234
Sheep (Developer)
Sheep (Developer)

Post by penguinflyer5234 »

General Public wrote:The test.zip file didn't work because a .dll was missing but I downloaded that .dll (apparently it uses a debug version of Visual C++ 2010) and once it had that .dll the test.zip program worked fine.
Yeah sorry, I don't really know how Visual C++ 2010 works :|
General Public wrote:I run Windows XP Professional with Service Pack 3 (seems like EVERYONE with this bug happening has Windows XP while the people who don't have it have Vista or newer). My video card is an NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 4000. CPU is an AMD Sempron 2800+. 768 megs of ram. 80 gig IDE hard drive. Not exactly the newest computer, but it runs plenty of programs just fine. Egoboo 2.7.4 and earlier versions all run perfectly. Only 2.8.0 and later versions crash on startup. So it's obvious the problem was introduced in version 2.8.0. When it crashes from the console window, in 2.8.x, I get one of those Windows Error Reporting things about sending an error report to Microsoft. I've been saying "yes" and sending them. Just in case they figure out a solution. Who knows, they might.

But I figure it's more likely you folks will figure out how to fix it before Microsoft does. Please remember to test the game on Windows XP computers, since everyone reporting this bug seems to run Windows XP. So that's probably what you need to do to duplicate the bug: run Egoboo 2.8.x on a Windows XP computer. I suppose for now the workaround would be to either use 2.7.4 or earlier of Egoboo, or if you really want to play the latest version of Egoboo, to run it on Windows Vista or Windows 7 rather than Windows XP. Obviously the Mac and Linux versions are different... this issue seems to be specific to Windows XP. And it hasn't been fixed yet in the 2.9.0 RC1, either.
My Win XP SP3 works with 2.8.1 :| I seem to be different for some reason :(
(3.0 GHz Pentium 4 with 1.25GiB RAM and NVIDIA GeForce 6200 OC)
General Public wrote:Oh, and what's the deal with 2.7.5 thru 2.7.7 coming out BEFORE 2.7.4, in fact BEFORE 2.6.0? That's some pretty weird version numbering going on there... usually the rule is, newer versions have higher numbers than older versions... Anyway, I hope ya fix this. In the meantime, I'm gonna play version 2.7.4 some more, because it works fine on my computer, and I want to play the most recent version that works. I guess 2.7.4 is it... And for reference to anyone reading this, the versions can all be found here: http://sourceforge.net/projects/egoboo/files/Windows Distro (32-bit)
Blame Zefz for that, for whatever reason he went with 2.7.5/2.7.7 as devel and then the stable was at the time was 2.4.4 :( It caused some problems with Linux distros since they thought 2.7.7 was the newest version (it never worked properly and it's marked "unstable" :|)
Zefz

Post by Zefz »

2.7.5 and 2.7.7 were builds from a different experimental branch. It proved to be too unstable so the branch was discontinued and we reverted back to an older stable branch (2.6.0 or something like that)
General Public
Acid Blob (New member)
Acid Blob (New member)

Post by General Public »

penguinflyer5234 wrote:My Win XP SP3 works with 2.8.1 :| I seem to be different for some reason :(
(3.0 GHz Pentium 4 with 1.25GiB RAM and NVIDIA GeForce 6200 OC)
Oh, well then if it works on some Windows XP computers and not others, I guess I don't know how you could trigger this bug if the latest versions work on your Windows XP machine. I was just trying to find a pattern in all the computers where the latest versions crash on startup. Anyway it's a great game, I hope you figure out this bug, I'd really like to enjoy the features of the newer 2.8.x versions but for now I'll use Egoboo 2.7.4, it works for me. It does seem that 2.8.x uses the Visual C++ 2010 runtime (version 10) while the earlier versions like 2.7.4 use the Visual C++ 2008 runtime (version 9). Maybe that has something to do with it. Also it seems 2.8.x is when the user data stopped being stored in the Egoboo directory (the way most games made for Windows XP and earlier do things) and started being stored in the Application Data directory (the way programs are supposed to do things in Windows Vista and Windows 7). So it seems many changes were made between 2.7.4 and 2.8.0 so it might be hard to tell what caused this. I wonder if any of you have figured out the cause of this crash-on-startup bug that only happens on some computers and not others. It's too bad none of the developers' computers seem to have this bug, then you would be able to fix it much more easily because you'd be able to reproduce the bug very easily. But yeah, it's a great game, a little hard though, and it would be nice to have a bit more documentation about how to play it, like a tutorial or something.
penguinflyer5234
Sheep (Developer)
Sheep (Developer)

2.9.0rc1 works (adventurer starter and zippy) with Windows 8 RP in VirtualBox 4.2.1 :|
Spoiler: log.txt
Starting Egoboo 2.9.0 ...
INFO: PhysFS file system version 2.0.2 has been initialized...
INFO: Initializing high-performance counter...
INFO: Frequency is 2250438 hz
INFO: Initializing clock services...
INFO: Loaded setup file - "C:\Users\neptunium\AppData\Roaming\egoboo\setup.txt".
INFO: Initializing SDL version 1.2.14... Success!
INFO: Intializing SDL Timing Services... Success!
INFO: Intializing SDL Event Threading... Success!
INFO: Intializing SDL Joystick... Success!
INFO: Intializing SDL Video... Success!
INFO: Opening SDL Video Mode...

==============================================================
SDL set video mode to the current parameters

SDL window parameters
width == 1440, height == 960, depth == 24 [32]

SDL flags
windowed
SDL software surface
SDL single buffer
OpenGL support
OpenGL-compatible blitting

SDL_GL_Attribtes
SDL_GL_RED_SIZE == 8
SDL_GL_GREEN_SIZE == 8
SDL_GL_BLUE_SIZE == 8
SDL_GL_ALPHA_SIZE == 8
SDL_GL_BUFFER_SIZE == 32
SDL_GL_DEPTH_SIZE == 32 [24]
SDL_GL_DOUBLEBUFFER == 1
SDL_GL_STENCIL_SIZE == 8 [0]
SDL_GL_ACCUM_RED_SIZE == 0
SDL_GL_ACCUM_GREEN_SIZE == 0
SDL_GL_ACCUM_BLUE_SIZE == 0
SDL_GL_ACCUM_ALPHA_SIZE == 0
SDL_GL_STEREO == 0
SDL_GL_MULTISAMPLEBUFFERS == 0
SDL_GL_MULTISAMPLESAMPLES == 1 [0]
SDL_GL_ACCELERATED_VISUAL == 0 [1]
SDL_GL_SWAP_CONTROL == 0

SDL using video driver - windib [Quartz]
[ Available full-screen modes... are not in Windows? ]

OpenGL state parameters
gl_version == 2.1 Chromium 1.9 [2.1 ATI-7.18.18]
gl_vendor == Humper [ATI Technologies]
gl_renderer == Chromium [ATI Radeon 6750M OpenGL Engine]
gl_extensions == GL_EXT_texture_compression_s3tc GL_EXT_draw_range_elements GL_EXT_framebuffer_object GL_EXT_compiled_vertex_array GL_ARB_depth_texture GL_ARB_fragment_program GL_ARB_multisample GL_ARB_multitexture GL_ARB_occlusion_query GL_ARB_point_parameters GL_ARB_point_sprite GL_ARB_shadow GL_ARB_shadow_ambient GL_ARB_texture_border_clamp GL_ARB_texture_compression GL_ARB_texture_cube_map GL_ARB_texture_env_add GL_ARB_texture_env_combine GL_ARB_texture_env_crossbar GL_ARB_texture_env_dot3 GL_ARB_texture_mirrored_repeat GL_ATI_texture_mirror_once GL_ARB_texture_non_power_of_two GL_ARB_transpose_matrix GL_ARB_vertex_buffer_object GL_ARB_pixel_buffer_object GL_ARB_vertex_program GL_ARB_window_pos GL_EXT_blend_color GL_EXT_blend_minmax GL_EXT_blend_func_separate GL_EXT_clip_volume_hint GL_EXT_blend_subtract GL_EXT_texture_env_add GL_EXT_fog_coord GL_EXT_multi_draw_arrays GL_EXT_secondary_color GL_EXT_shadow_funcs GL_EXT_stencil_wrap GL_EXT_texture_filter_anisotropic GL_EXT_texture_lod_bias GL_IBM_rasterpos_clip GL_NV_fog_distance GL_NV_texgen_reflection GL_EXT_texture_rectangle GL_ARB_texture_rectangle GL_SGIS_generate_mipmap GL_SGIS_texture_edge_clamp GL_ARB_shading_language_100 GL_ARB_shader_objects GL_ARB_vertex_shader GL_ARB_fragment_shader GL_EXT_texture_sRGB GL_EXT_framebuffer_blit GL_EXT_blend_equation_separate GL_EXT_stencil_two_side GL_CR_state_parameter GL_CR_cursor_position GL_CR_bounding_box GL_CR_print_string GL_CR_tilesort_info GL_CR_synchronization GL_CR_head_spu_name GL_CR_performance_info GL_CR_window_size GL_CR_tile_info GL_CR_saveframe GL_CR_readback_barrier_size GL_CR_server_id_sharing GL_CR_server_matrix
glu_version == (null)
glu_extensions == (null)

GL_MAX_MODELVIEW_STACK_DEPTH == 32
GL_MAX_PROJECTION_STACK_DEPTH == 10
GL_MAX_TEXTURE_STACK_DEPTH == 10
GL_MAX_NAME_STACK_DEPTH == 128
GL_MAX_ATTRIB_STACK_DEPTH == 16
GL_MAX_CLIENT_ATTRIB_STACK_DEPTH == 16

GL_SUBPIXEL_BITS == 8
GL_POINT_SIZE_RANGE == 1.000000 - 64.000000
GL_POINT_SIZE_GRANULARITY == 0.125000
GL_LINE_WIDTH_RANGE == 1.000000 - 64.000000
GL_LINE_WIDTH_GRANULARITY == 0.125000

GL_MAX_VIEWPORT_DIMS == 16384, 16384
GL_AUX_BUFFERS == 0
GL_RGBA_MODE == TRUE
GL_INDEX_MODE == FALSE
GL_DOUBLEBUFFER == FALSE [TRUE]
GL_STEREO == FALSE
GL_RED_BITS == 8
GL_GREEN_BITS == 8
GL_BLUE_BITS == 8
GL_ALPHA_BITS == 0
GL_INDEX_BITS == 0
GL_DEPTH_BITS == 24
GL_STENCIL_BITS == 0
GL_ACCUM_RED_BITS == 0
GL_ACCUM_GREEN_BITS == 0
GL_ACCUM_BLUE_BITS == 0
GL_ACCUM_ALPHA_BITS == 0

GL_MAX_LIGHTS == 8
GL_MAX_CLIP_PLANES == 6
GL_MAX_TEXTURE_SIZE == 16384

GL_MAX_PIXEL_MAP_TABLE == 256
GL_MAX_LIST_NESTING == 64
GL_MAX_EVAL_ORDER == 10

GL_MAX_TEXTURE_MAX_ANISOTROPY_EXT == 16.000000
Success!
INFO: Initializing the SDL_ttf font handler version 2.0.10... Success!
INFO: net_initialize: Networking not enabled.
INFO: Initializing SDL_Image version 1.2.10... Success!
INFO: Intializing SDL Audio... Success!
INFO: Initializing SDL_mixer audio services version 1.2.11... Success!
INFO: Initializing module linking... Success!
INFO: Resetting module data
INFO: Loading module "mp_modules/advent.mod"
Using the default AI script instead ("mp_data/script.txt")
INFO: Initializing module linking... Success!
INFO: Loading module "mp_modules/zippy.mod"
INFO: memory_cleanUp() - Attempting to clean up loaded things in memory... Success!
INFO: Exiting Egoboo 2.9.0 the good way...
items in [brackets] are OS X Egoboo. Windows Egoboo actually loads non-starter modules, has no glitchy camera :(
penguinflyer5234
Sheep (Developer)
Sheep (Developer)

Can people of the Windows world test this file (esp. the ones who crash with 2.8.x) and post the log.txt it generates?

It'll be helpful, maybe? WHO KNOWS
Attachments
physfstest1.zip
basic test of physfs

requires MSVC2010 runtime
(30.99 KiB) Downloaded 884 times
Zefz

Post by Zefz »

Code: Select all

Initializing Win32 filesystem.
Win32 provided:
	Binaries: C:\Users\Zefz\Desktop
	Data: C:\Users\Zefz\Desktop
	User Data: C:\Users\Zefz\AppData\Roaming\egoboo
	Config Files: C:\Users\Zefz\Desktop
Initializing physfs filesystem.
Base Dir: C:\Users\Zefz\Desktop\
Warning: File not found (C:\Users\Zefz\Desktop\basicdat)
Warning: File not found (C:\Users\Zefz\AppData\Roaming\egoboo\modules)
Warning: File not found (C:\Users\Zefz\Desktop\modules)
Warning: File not found (C:\Users\Zefz\AppData\Roaming\egoboo\players)
Warning: File not found (C:\Users\Zefz\AppData\Roaming\egoboo\import)
Warning: File not found (C:\Users\Zefz\AppData\Roaming\egoboo\remote)
Search Path: C:\Users\Zefz\Desktop\
Note: I do not have Egoboo installed.