2.8.x crash at startup

Report bugs, errors and balance issues you may encounter ingame here.

Moderator: Developers

Shade
Potion Mimic (Senior Member)

Re: 2.8.x crash at startup

Post by Shade »

Tried 2.8.1. It doesn't work. I get exactly the same error as shown above with 2.8.2.
bgbirdsey
{]-[0{0|307 (Developer)
{]-[0{0|307 (Developer)

Post by bgbirdsey »

Shade, please pay attention to the following information:

There are only 2 things that can cause the problem that you are seeing:
  • you are missing a .dll
  • the program is crashing due to the inability to open a screen using your graphics card.
Those are the only two errors that can be happening.

SOLUTION 1
=========

Since the console window is opening up, it looks like you are running a debug version of the program (I cannot confirm how zefz compiled the program, so I can't know without doing a lot of work). If it is a debug version of the program, you will get a message displaying the paths that egoboo is using on your system.

This message is not appearing, so IF you are running a version with verbose debugging info enabled, either windows or the visual studio runtime is failing to load a dll.

This means that there is some dll missing off your system, possibly including the following

1 - You have a bad/invalid side-by-side configuration (sometimes called SxS). This should not be an issue with 2.8.1 or 2.8.2, but it might be a hidden problem since mose egoboo users would have had SxS properly installed because of an earlier version of egoboo.

2 - You are missing the correct visual studio run-time. This should have been installed properly when the game was installed, but could have been screwed up if you are not on an account with administrative privileges.

3 - One of the dlls distributed with the game is missing, bad, or has the wrong name. This can probably only happen if you manually changed one or more of them.

4 - You are using a link to start the program that has the wrong target directory. Right click on the link and make sure that the "Target" and the "Start in" fields point to the same directory. In the worst case, forget the link and just click on the .exe in the install directory.

SOLUTION 2
=========

If you are not running a version with verbose debugging info enabled, you will not get this message, and your best bet is that your graphics SETTINGS are not compatible with your graphics card. Notice, I did not say that your card was bad!

Unfortunately, I believe that the "My Egoboo Stuff" link in your egoboo directory was distributed in a corrupted state and refers to the correct directory on zefz's computer (and therefore the wrong directory on your computer). To fix this (this is the English version since I can't localize my windows version to German):
  1. go to the "My Egoboo Stuff" link in your egoboo directory
  2. right click on it
  3. choose properties
  4. in the window marked "Target:" type in "%AppData%\egoboo"
  5. click OK
Now double-click the "My Egoboo Stuff" link and it will take you to the data directory.

IF there is a file called setup.txt in this directory, your computer got to the point just before it tried to set the video mode. If you want to fix a bad video mode, you have to edit the setup.txt in this directory. You have no hope, otherwise.

My suggestion is to set the following entries:

Code: Select all

[COLOR_DEPTH] : "24"
[Z_DEPTH] : "16"
[FULLSCREEN] : "FALSE"
[TEXTURE_FILTERING] : "NONE"
Shade

Post by Shade »

bgbirdsey wrote:1 - You have a bad/invalid side-by-side configuration (sometimes called SxS). This should not be an issue with 2.8.1 or 2.8.2, but it might be a hidden problem since mose egoboo users would have had SxS properly installed because of an earlier version of egoboo.
In case this would be the problem, how can I fix it?
bgbirdsey wrote:2 - You are missing the correct visual studio run-time. This should have been installed properly when the game was installed, but could have been screwed up if you are not on an account with administrative privileges.
I'm certain that the visual studio redistributable is properly installed.
bgbirdsey wrote:3 - One of the dlls distributed with the game is missing, bad, or has the wrong name. This can probably only happen if you manually changed one or more of them.
I didn't change any of the files installed by the installer.
bgbirdsey wrote:4 - You are using a link to start the program that has the wrong target directory. Right click on the link and make sure that the "Target" and the "Start in" fields point to the same directory. In the worst case, forget the link and just click on the .exe in the install directory.
Yeah, I know that Egoboo sometimes has issues with this, so I tried to run it from its folder right away (as shown in the background of the screenshot I provided). This shouldn't be the problem.

bgbirdsey wrote:Unfortunately, I believe that the "My Egoboo Stuff" link in your egoboo directory was distributed in a corrupted state and refers to the correct directory on zefz's computer (and therefore the wrong directory on your computer). To fix this (this is the English version since I can't localize my windows version to German):
  1. go to the "My Egoboo Stuff" link in your egoboo directory
  2. right click on it
  3. choose properties
  4. in the window marked "Target:" type in "%AppData%\egoboo"
  5. click OK
Now double-click the "My Egoboo Stuff" link and it will take you to the data directory.
I'm not sure if it was corrupted, but in any case, there is no egoboo folder in my application data. After creating one, the link now works, but the folder remains completely empty even after trying to run the game.
bgbirdsey wrote:IF there is a file called setup.txt in this directory, your computer got to the point just before it tried to set the video mode. If you want to fix a bad video mode, you have to edit the setup.txt in this directory. You have no hope, otherwise.
It's completely empty; there's a setup.txt in the game's root directory, though.
bgbirdsey wrote:My suggestion is to set the following entries:

Code: Select all

[COLOR_DEPTH] : "24"
[Z_DEPTH] : "16"
[FULLSCREEN] : "FALSE"
[TEXTURE_FILTERING] : "NONE"
I changed the root directory's setup.txt according to this, but it doesn't fix the problem.

Does this mean I won't be able to play after all? :(
penguinflyer5234
Sheep (Developer)
Sheep (Developer)

Post by penguinflyer5234 »

bgbirdsey wrote:* the program is crashing due to the inability to open a screen using your graphics card.
Wouldn't there be logging and initialization beforehand? Egoboo usually does that stuff before opening a window...

Try this: test.zip if it runs, then vc++2010 is installed correctly
Zefz
Squirrel Knight (Administrator)

Post by Zefz »

@birdsey: It should not be a debug binary. I compile Release binary with console output. I always thought that compiling a debug binary for a different system was a bad idea unless they had all the debugging tools installed.
Shade

Post by Shade »

penguinflyer5234 wrote:Try this: test.zip if it runs, then vc++2010 is installed correctly
Can't run it; it says there's a .dll missing. However, with a name given, I can look for the missing .dll(s?) myself. Let me see if downloading them fixes anything.

EDIT: Downloading msvcr100d.dll fixed the test program (it's an animation about a battery emptying itself while moving upwards a bit), but doesn't change anything about Egoboo.
bgbirdsey
{]-[0{0|307 (Developer)
{]-[0{0|307 (Developer)

Post by bgbirdsey »

penguinflyer5234, there should have been some debuggin output, but video card issues have caused similar problems in the past.

-------------------------------

Shade, the thing is that very many people installed the 2.8.x releases for windows without problems... they just complain about the significant bugs inside the program! ;)
Shade wrote:I'm not sure if it was corrupted, but in any case, there is no egoboo folder in my application data. After creating one, the link now works, but the folder remains completely empty even after trying to run the game.
One of the VERY FIRST things that egoboo does is make sure that that data directory exists and that there is a directory called debug underneath it. If it never got there, then it almost certainly a problem with the a missing dll.
Shade wrote:I changed the root directory's setup.txt according to this, but it doesn't fix the problem.
I was pretty explicit to NOT change this file.
Shade wrote:
bgbirdsey wrote: 1 - You have a bad/invalid side-by-side configuration (sometimes called SxS). This should not be an issue with 2.8.1 or 2.8.2, but it might be a hidden problem since mose egoboo users would have had SxS properly installed because of an earlier version of egoboo.
In case this would be the problem, how can I fix it?
There is an installer on the for SxS on the microsoft site.

This should NOT be a problem unless the program was compiled using Visual Studio Version 8 (2005). Zefz has been using the 2008 and 2010 versions for a long time.
Shade

Post by Shade »

bgbirdsey wrote:Shade, the thing is that very many people installed the 2.8.x releases for windows without problems... they just complain about the significant bugs inside the program! ;)
I know. :(
It's strange how it appears that I always seem to be the only one experiencing problems like these. Minecraft, for an unrelated example, constantly crashes for me, yet other people can play it perfectly fine. It's frustrating, because absolutely nothing I do ever seems to fix these kinds of problems.
bgbirdsey wrote:One of the VERY FIRST things that egoboo does is make sure that that data directory exists and that there is a directory called debug underneath it. If it never got there, then it almost certainly a problem with the a missing dll.
Is there any way to check which .dlls might be missing?
bgbirdsey wrote:
Shade wrote:I changed the root directory's setup.txt according to this, but it doesn't fix the problem.
I was pretty explicit to NOT change this file.
There was no setup.txt where you said it was supposed to be, so I went with the next-closest thing. Besides, I believe I was at least able to run Egoboo before it started to put all its data into application data.
On a possibly unrelated note, would it be possible for the installer to ask the user before installation whether Egoboo should store its data in its root directory or in the application data, like I believe The Battle for Wesnoth does? Some people (like me) prefer having the game's data in its root directory.

Maybe I should try an even earlier version to see if it runs? I'll try one of the 2.6.x versions when I have the time and then report back.
Shade

Post by Shade »

Interesting news! I just tried 2.6.8, and... ...it works perfectly fine! In fact, thanks to my new GFX card, it works better than ever before - setting the FPS limit high enough in setup.txt got me an amazing 91 FPS at the highest GFX settings. I'm amazed!

So, we know now that whatever broke Egoboo for me was introduced somewhere between 2.6.8 and 2.8.1.
Of note is that 2.6.8 still saves all its data in its root directory (like I'm used to), while 2.8.1 already attempts to save them in the application data instead. Maybe my issues really are related to this in some way?
penguinflyer5234
Sheep (Developer)
Sheep (Developer)

try 2.6.9, since we know that that version began the problems on your computer...

...OH. Maybe something's wrong with PhysFS or file_win.c? Shade is using German WinXP... (in 2.8.1)
Shade

Post by Shade »

penguinflyer5234 wrote:try 2.6.9, since we know that that version began the problems on your computer...
There's no 2.6.9 here. =/
penguinflyer5234
Sheep (Developer)
Sheep (Developer)

...duh, because it was a beta for 2.7.0... oops.

(I'm also having problems with Egoboo 2.8.2beta and non-ascii characters, says it cannot find scancode.txt)
Spoiler: log.txt
Starting Egoboo 2.8.2 (Beta) ...
INFO: PhysFS file system version 2.0.1 has been initialized...
INFO: Initializing clock services...
INFO: Loaded setup file - "/Users/neptunium/Documents/Egoboo/setup.txt".
INFO: Initializing the SDL_ttf font handler version 2.0.10... Success!
INFO: Initializing SDL version 1.2.14... Success!
INFO: Intializing SDL Timing Services... Success!
INFO: Intializing SDL Event Threading... Success!
INFO: Intializing SDL Joystick... Success!
INFO: Intializing SDL Video... Success!
INFO: Opening SDL Video Mode...

==============================================================
SDL set video mode to the current parameters

SDL window parameters
width == 800, height == 600, depth == 32

SDL flags
windowed
SDL software surface
SDL single buffer
OpenGL support
OpenGL-compatible blitting

SDL_GL_Attribtes
SDL_GL_RED_SIZE == 8
SDL_GL_GREEN_SIZE == 8
SDL_GL_BLUE_SIZE == 8
SDL_GL_ALPHA_SIZE == 8
SDL_GL_BUFFER_SIZE == 32
SDL_GL_DEPTH_SIZE == 24
SDL_GL_DOUBLEBUFFER == 1
SDL_GL_STENCIL_SIZE == 0
SDL_GL_ACCUM_RED_SIZE == 0
SDL_GL_ACCUM_GREEN_SIZE == 0
SDL_GL_ACCUM_BLUE_SIZE == 0
SDL_GL_ACCUM_ALPHA_SIZE == 0
SDL_GL_STEREO == 0
SDL_GL_MULTISAMPLEBUFFERS == 0
SDL_GL_MULTISAMPLESAMPLES == 0
SDL_GL_ACCELERATED_VISUAL == 1
SDL_GL_SWAP_CONTROL == 0

SDL using video driver - Quartz
Available full-screen video modes...
Video Mode - 1680 x 1050
Video Mode - 1280 x 1024
Video Mode - 1440 x 852
Video Mode - 1280 x 800
Video Mode - 1152 x 720
Video Mode - 1024 x 768
Video Mode - 1024 x 640
Video Mode - 800 x 600
Video Mode - 800 x 500
Video Mode - 720 x 480
Video Mode - 640 x 480

OpenGL state parameters
gl_version == 2.1 ATI-7.14.5
gl_vendor == ATI Technologies Inc.
gl_renderer == AMD Radeon HD 6750M OpenGL Engine
gl_extensions == GL_ARB_color_buffer_float GL_ARB_depth_buffer_float GL_ARB_depth_clamp GL_ARB_depth_texture GL_ARB_draw_buffers GL_ARB_draw_elements_base_vertex GL_ARB_draw_instanced GL_ARB_fragment_program GL_ARB_fragment_program_shadow GL_ARB_fragment_shader GL_ARB_framebuffer_object GL_ARB_framebuffer_sRGB GL_ARB_half_float_pixel GL_ARB_half_float_vertex GL_ARB_imaging GL_ARB_instanced_arrays GL_ARB_multisample GL_ARB_multitexture GL_ARB_occlusion_query GL_ARB_pixel_buffer_object GL_ARB_point_parameters GL_ARB_point_sprite GL_ARB_provoking_vertex GL_ARB_seamless_cube_map GL_ARB_shader_objects GL_ARB_shader_texture_lod GL_ARB_shading_language_100 GL_ARB_shadow GL_ARB_shadow_ambient GL_ARB_sync GL_ARB_texture_border_clamp GL_ARB_texture_compression GL_ARB_texture_compression_rgtc GL_ARB_texture_cube_map GL_ARB_texture_env_add GL_ARB_texture_env_combine GL_ARB_texture_env_crossbar GL_ARB_texture_env_dot3 GL_ARB_texture_float GL_ARB_texture_mirrored_repeat GL_ARB_texture_non_power_of_two GL_ARB_texture_rectangle GL_ARB_texture_rg GL_ARB_transpose_matrix GL_ARB_vertex_array_bgra GL_ARB_vertex_blend GL_ARB_vertex_buffer_object GL_ARB_vertex_program GL_ARB_vertex_shader GL_ARB_window_pos GL_EXT_abgr GL_EXT_bgra GL_EXT_bindable_uniform GL_EXT_blend_color GL_EXT_blend_equation_separate GL_EXT_blend_func_separate GL_EXT_blend_minmax GL_EXT_blend_subtract GL_EXT_clip_volume_hint GL_EXT_draw_buffers2 GL_EXT_draw_range_elements GL_EXT_fog_coord GL_EXT_framebuffer_blit GL_EXT_framebuffer_multisample GL_EXT_framebuffer_object GL_EXT_framebuffer_sRGB GL_EXT_geometry_shader4 GL_EXT_gpu_program_parameters GL_EXT_gpu_shader4 GL_EXT_multi_draw_arrays GL_EXT_packed_depth_stencil GL_EXT_packed_float GL_EXT_provoking_vertex GL_EXT_rescale_normal GL_EXT_secondary_color GL_EXT_separate_specular_color GL_EXT_shadow_funcs GL_EXT_stencil_two_side GL_EXT_stencil_wrap GL_EXT_texture_array GL_EXT_texture_compression_dxt1 GL_EXT_texture_compression_s3tc GL_EXT_texture_env_add GL_EXT_texture_filter_anisotropic GL_EXT_texture_integer GL_EXT_texture_lod_bias GL_EXT_texture_mirror_clamp GL_EXT_texture_rectangle GL_EXT_texture_shared_exponent GL_EXT_texture_sRGB GL_EXT_texture_sRGB_decode GL_EXT_timer_query GL_EXT_transform_feedback GL_EXT_vertex_array_bgra GL_APPLE_aux_depth_stencil GL_APPLE_client_storage GL_APPLE_element_array GL_APPLE_fence GL_APPLE_float_pixels GL_APPLE_flush_buffer_range GL_APPLE_flush_render GL_APPLE_object_purgeable GL_APPLE_packed_pixels GL_APPLE_pixel_buffer GL_APPLE_rgb_422 GL_APPLE_row_bytes GL_APPLE_specular_vector GL_APPLE_texture_range GL_APPLE_transform_hint GL_APPLE_vertex_array_object GL_APPLE_vertex_array_range GL_APPLE_vertex_point_size GL_APPLE_vertex_program_evaluators GL_APPLE_ycbcr_422 GL_ATI_blend_equation_separate GL_ATI_blend_weighted_minmax GL_ATI_separate_stencil GL_ATI_texture_compression_3dc GL_ATI_texture_env_combine3 GL_ATI_texture_float GL_ATI_texture_mirror_once GL_IBM_rasterpos_clip GL_NV_blend_square GL_NV_conditional_render GL_NV_depth_clamp GL_NV_fog_distance GL_NV_light_max_exponent GL_NV_texgen_reflection GL_SGI_color_matrix GL_SGIS_generate_mipmap GL_SGIS_texture_edge_clamp GL_SGIS_texture_lod
glu_version == (null)
glu_extensions == (null)

GL_MAX_MODELVIEW_STACK_DEPTH == 32
GL_MAX_PROJECTION_STACK_DEPTH == 10
GL_MAX_TEXTURE_STACK_DEPTH == 10
GL_MAX_NAME_STACK_DEPTH == 128
GL_MAX_ATTRIB_STACK_DEPTH == 16
GL_MAX_CLIENT_ATTRIB_STACK_DEPTH == 16

GL_SUBPIXEL_BITS == 8
GL_POINT_SIZE_RANGE == 1.000000 - 64.000000
GL_POINT_SIZE_GRANULARITY == 0.125000
GL_LINE_WIDTH_RANGE == 1.000000 - 64.000000
GL_LINE_WIDTH_GRANULARITY == 0.125000

GL_MAX_VIEWPORT_DIMS == 16384, 16384
GL_AUX_BUFFERS == 0
GL_RGBA_MODE == TRUE
GL_INDEX_MODE == FALSE
GL_DOUBLEBUFFER == TRUE
GL_STEREO == FALSE
GL_RED_BITS == 8
GL_GREEN_BITS == 8
GL_BLUE_BITS == 8
GL_ALPHA_BITS == 8
GL_INDEX_BITS == 0
GL_DEPTH_BITS == 24
GL_STENCIL_BITS == 0
GL_ACCUM_RED_BITS == 0
GL_ACCUM_GREEN_BITS == 0
GL_ACCUM_BLUE_BITS == 0
GL_ACCUM_ALPHA_BITS == 0

GL_MAX_LIGHTS == 8
GL_MAX_CLIP_PLANES == 6
GL_MAX_TEXTURE_SIZE == 16384

GL_MAX_PIXEL_MAP_TABLE == 256
GL_MAX_LIST_NESTING == 64
GL_MAX_EVAL_ORDER == 10

GL_MAX_TEXTURE_MAX_ANISOTROPY_EXT == 16.000000
Success!
INFO: Initializing SDL_Image version 1.2.10... Success!
FATAL ERROR: Cannot read mp_data/scancode.txt.
Spoiler: STDOUT
sys_fs_init: Game directory is /Users/neptunium/çüteness/Egoboo.app
sys_fs_init: Data directory is /Users/neptunium/çüteness/Egoboo.app/Contents/Resources
sys_fs_init: User directory is /Users/neptunium/Documents/Egoboo
sys_fs_init: User directory is /Users/neptunium/Documents/Egoboo

...hmm, there are no çüteness folders in the physfs search path...
Agent of Dread
Protector (Senior Member)
Protector (Senior Member)

Post by Agent of Dread »

That link! Yesss! I love you, Shade.
- Linktree: linktr.ee/trilbs -
Shade

Post by Shade »

Bump - it's fine and all that 2.6.8 runs, but I'd still like to be able to play the up-to-date versions if at all possible. =/
Zefz

Post by Zefz »

The SVN in release mode does not run for me either. Debug mode runs fine though, I guess we all have to wait until all that is sorted out.