Latest SVN update

The development of the game itself or new resources for it. Any new stuff you're working on would go here, as well as the discussion of in-development stuff.

Moderator: Developers

bgbirdsey
{]-[0{0|307 (Developer)
{]-[0{0|307 (Developer)

Post by bgbirdsey »

Added an ability to specify the text justification, and used this to fix a lot of the odd formatting which I had added to the menus... :P

Made the active spot on the cursor closer to the tip of the dagger.

Sometimes justifying vertically is doing something odd... more like top-justified...

Have not implemented the image justification yet.
Zefz
Squirrel Knight (Administrator)

Post by Zefz »

There seems to be yet another bug in the load player menu. The button to actual load the player and select a module no longer appears.
bgbirdsey
{]-[0{0|307 (Developer)
{]-[0{0|307 (Developer)

Post by bgbirdsey »

fixed that when you weren't looking (I hope).

---------------------------

ahhh... I did find that error and it has been updated
bgbirdsey
{]-[0{0|307 (Developer)
{]-[0{0|307 (Developer)

Post by bgbirdsey »

Revision 1280
  • lots of changes to the way game objects (chr, prt, enc) are spawned and how they are tracked. This fixed a lot of particle issues where secondary particles were not spawning at the end of the 1st particle. It was also causing problems with particles in the PrtList never being properly freed and making the allocation of new particles very slow.
  • added a new test module that is completely blank. You can import test characters in here to test things like particle/spell effects, weapons, and blah
  • added a new module filter that only shows up in dev mode, FILTER_HIFDEN, so that the test module_add_idsz_vfs(s) won't show up for normal players
  • changed some physics so that the fireball now acts more like it used to
  • some minor formatting
Zefz

Post by Zefz »

I think that update might have fixed a lot of issues.

I am now getting numerous assertion problems where objects aren't in a proper state in EncList or ChrList. The assertion error happens whenever I start the Elf Starter or encounter the Chest Mimic in the Adventurer Starter.
bgbirdsey
{]-[0{0|307 (Developer)
{]-[0{0|307 (Developer)

Post by bgbirdsey »

I think it is a mixup of the test for allocation with the test for whether the object is constructed. I had to split those function sup and didn't fully debug them.

I was just so excited that I fixed the particles! :)
Zefz

Post by Zefz »

At least we are getting somewhere :) I know there are at least a few out there who have been waiting for another *stable* game update to replace Egoboo 2.8.0.
Zefz

Post by Zefz »

I redid some stuff in the damage system of Egoboo. 3 things:

- Damage can now be represented as percentage instead of shifts. 70% means reduce all damage taken from that type with 70%. This allows developers for much more finesse in picking resistances for monsters, compared to the old system where you only had 0, 1, 2 or 3 - where each level doubles damage resistance. We can now have multiple enchantments that increase damage resistance to specific attacks with 30% instead of making him completely immune to the damage type (see spells of protection!). Compared to the old shift system percentages are calculated thus:

Code: Select all

0 - 0%
1 - 50%
2 - 75%
3 - 90%
A damage resistance above 90% currently makes the character immune to enchants of that type. So a 90% EVIL resistance makes you immune to all poison.

-The other thing damage now reduces the duration of enchants. So if you have 50% EVIL resistance and get bit by a Tranch, the poison duration is reduced from 100 seconds to only 50!

- Last change is that damage resistances also prevent damage particles from getting stuck to your character. So if you have 75% FIRE resistance, it will reduce the amount of fire particles igniting you with 75%. Another example is 50% POKE resistance, where 50% of the time Arrow particles will not get stuck into your character.

I have tried my best, but it will probably require some more balancing.
Zefz

Post by Zefz »

Revision 1488
I have reworked how input controllers worked. The idea is that you assign input controllers to players instead of the input controllers themselves being the player!

This means Player 1 can play the game using either a Keyboard, Mouse or a Joystick. (as opposed to player 2 always being the mouse controller, etc.) This also means that you can have more than 1 keyboard controller. You can for example have 2 players playing on the keyboard and 2 more playing with the joystick!

This was something I have wanted for a long time, being able to play 2 players using only keyboard.
octagon
Darkshine Knight (Extremist fanatic)

Post by octagon »

Yay. That's epic. I always wished that such a thing would exist.

By the way: I would like a "portable" install or setup option, which causes the game to use a subfolder of its own folder (or a specifiable folder?) to save stuff.
Zefz

Post by Zefz »

Yeah well the linux distribution requires us to follow those strict unix filesystem rules egoboo currently uses.

Also, here is the latest binary revision for Egoboo:
http://egoboo.sourceforge.net/SVN_build ... -r1489.exe

It has the new input system. I know that camera control doesn't work properly at the moment, but otherwise things seem to be coming along for a 2.8.2 release.

I have added a new input button for Egoboo, namely the Sneak button. Use it to not wake up sleeping monsters and become invisible if you are good at hiding. It's also useful if you want to walk carefully, like near a edge of a pit.
octagon

Re: Latest SVN update

Post by octagon »

Some observations after briefly testing the Adventurer Starter in the latest SVN version:
-Pathfinding works much better now, but the pathfinding lines are visible.
-The cursor is a large white square.
-Grub bugs sometimes charge into me with super speed.
Zefz

Re: Latest SVN update

Post by Zefz »

Pathfinding lines are visible intentionally. It was for debugging purposes.

The white square mouse is a known problem, this is caused by either texture filtering or because memory was incorrectly released.

Also, the SVN binary is very outdated. I haven't C++ compiler on my new pc, so I haven't worked on Egoboo for quite a while now.