Latest SVN update

The development of the game itself or new resources for it. Any new stuff you're working on would go here, as well as the discussion of in-development stuff.

Moderator: Developers

octagon
Darkshine Knight (Extremist fanatic)

Post by octagon »

More control options ftw! Sneaking is great.
But uhm... What do you do in hotseat?
penguinflyer2222
Queen Penguin (Senior Member)
Queen Penguin (Senior Member)

Post by penguinflyer2222 »

I would imagine nothing, yet.
penguinflyer5234
Sheep (Developer)
Sheep (Developer)

Post by penguinflyer5234 »

Also, what if you use a joypad?
Zefz
Squirrel Knight (Administrator)

Post by Zefz »

- added a specific sneak mode. pressing the shift in keyboard mode activates it (or activating the joystick less than 1/3 of its range). Now the sneak mode should allow you to move slower more easily and highlight the sneak animation. Small bug if the character has no sneak animation, though...
Shade
Potion Mimic (Senior Member)
Potion Mimic (Senior Member)

Post by Shade »

What about gamepads with a control pad instead of a joystick? You can't push a control pad 1/3, you can just press it or not press it.
bgbirdsey
{]-[0{0|307 (Developer)
{]-[0{0|307 (Developer)

Post by bgbirdsey »

All the controls do a bit of averaging over time, so you could approximate the joystick effect by pumping the gamepad control. This could be better tuned to give you batter speed control with the gamepad.
Agent of Dread
Protector (Senior Member)

Post by Agent of Dread »

@Clonk: Most gamepads I know have both. :P
- Linktree: linktr.ee/trilbs -
Zefz

Post by Zefz »

I changed the way dexerity affects weapon speed. All weapons now use the same attack speed code (instead of every weapon having it's own script).

In addition, dexerity also affects how fast you swing weapons in addition to how often. This means a high dex character actually swings his weapon quickly while a very low dex caracter will swing his weapon in slow motion (well not that extreme, but you get the idea).

A level 20 rogue with a knife almost attacks faster than your eyes can see :D We can allow specific magic weapons to ignore the attack speed limit by giving them the new :[FAST] expansion.

I plan to do this again with Shields which have a base :[BLOC] rating you can specify to successfully block an attack.
Agent of Dread

Post by Agent of Dread »

That sounds really awesome, well done again. :D
- Linktree: linktr.ee/trilbs -
Maxaxle

Post by Maxaxle »

I think that, as a cooldown for characters with uber-fast attacks, the attack speed should gradually slow down as the character tires, or perhaps you can only attack quickly for a short amount of time (3 seconds?), and then it defaults to what the character's weapon swing speed would be without that ability.
"Failing to plan is planning to fail."
Bug me if you want to play a game.
bgbirdsey
{]-[0{0|307 (Developer)
{]-[0{0|307 (Developer)

Post by bgbirdsey »

A pretty major update to the way ttf fonts are rendered and the way that the text for buttons and other graphical objects are rendered.

The problem was that rendering ttf fonts has a pretty high overhead and was making the menus laggy on mu machine (I have the graphics options pretty high).

What I did was to cache the ttf fonts and even the whole character description in the choose player menu using a new "display list" module.

There are a few tiny quirks related to menu formatting, but they should be very easy to work out.

PS Zefz cursor looks cool. We need to move the active spot closer to the tip, though! ;)
Zefz

Post by Zefz »

Good job. I always thought that the menus were handled a bit overkill before. I noticed all modules that start with an A or B no longer display their module description.

The cursor seems fine on my pc. Maybe its different depending on resolution?
bgbirdsey
{]-[0{0|307 (Developer)
{]-[0{0|307 (Developer)

Post by bgbirdsey »

Zefz wrote:Good job. I always thought that the menus were handled a bit overkill before. I noticed all modules that start with an A or B no longer display their module description.
I didn't notice that, but any modules that are beaten can't be selected which is not what I intended.
Zefz wrote:The cursor seems fine on my pc. Maybe its different depending on resolution?
It is not exactly a the tip. It shouldn't be too hard to figure since the icons are 32x32 in the virtual screen size?
bgbirdsey
{]-[0{0|307 (Developer)
{]-[0{0|307 (Developer)

Post by bgbirdsey »

Zefz wrote:Good job. I always thought that the menus were handled a bit overkill before. I noticed all modules that start with an A or B no longer display their module description.
ahhh.... these are too long, maybe? If they are too long, the partial messages is not stored in the display_list. I will add a warning for the overflow and bump up the value so that none of the current menus cause an overflow.
Zefz

Post by Zefz »

I reused the draw_one_icon() function so it should always be 32x32 yes.