I want to use this thread about the development of my project "ModBaker".
What is ModBaker?
ModBaker will be a tool to create / edit modules for Egoboo. The first version will allow vertex and texxture modifications. In later versions, I've planned to add support for placing objects.
Why are you creating something new? There are EgoMap and Cartman!
I wanted to start with a new codebase, so I'm completely independent from the Egoboo code. This means that I'll re-implement all needed functions for rendering etc.
I'm doing that for several reasons:
- To keep the code / binary as clean as possible
- To make the code easier to understand
I'll release the source code if I got a basic version of vertex and texture edit running.
Currently I managed to render the 3d mesh based on the Egoboo svn/trunk code.
(Items marked with * are finished.)
Current features (last update: 2009/08/09)
* Load / save / create mesh
* GUI system with mouse support
* Keyboard shortcuts for some of the editing functions
* Vertex editing
* Draw textures onto the mesh
* Three edit modes: Tile, vertex and object (object is currently only a place holder)
* Display objects (based on spawn.txt and the icon of the object)
* Implemented a selection to edit multiple vertices / tiles at the same time
* Load / edit / save menu.txt using a GUI
* Display / set tile flags & types
ToDo list for ModBaker 0.7
- wall / floor tool
- PhysFS integration
- a config dialog
- camera rotation
- show save dialog before quitting
- new selection system
* added a button to reload the textures
* added a button to switch the tile texture size (small / large textures)
* apply the texture size when draowing
* Bugfix: tile0.bmp does not get reloaded properly
* correct tile3.bmp handling (currently it won't get handled correctly in the ice palace)
ToDo list for ModBaker 0.8
- load / edit / save pasage.txt
- edit / save spawns.txt
- Reload spawn.txt / the objects
- place / move objects via the mouse
- Generate the minimap
* Tutorial for building ModBaker on Windows / Linux
- Redo some of the icons
- Autosave function
- Extend the "new mesh" function (so other subsystems (spawns, objects, textures, ...) automatically get reloaded)
- drag'n'drop for tile types, tile flags, textures and walls/floors
ToDo list for ModBaker 0.9
- edit lights
ToDo list for ModBaker 1.0
- GUI improvements
- better memory handling (add cleanup functions etc.)
- Module Manager integration
Planned GUI improvements
- Show object icon in the object ist
- Add tileset definitions for the "new mesh" function
- Allow GUI elements like checkboxes etc.
- Editing the menu.txt file
- "New mesh" GUI
- The mesh + objects get rendered