Darks models

The development of the game itself or new resources for it. Any new stuff you're working on would go here, as well as the discussion of in-development stuff.

Moderator: Developers

Dark
Tranch (Novice)
Tranch (Novice)

Darks models

Post by Dark »

Id wish to jump in to support development of Egoboo but I just dont have too much time lately.
Ive been messing with Blender since I had to learn making 3D models for my college thesis game (if anyone is interested) and I thought I could at least try making something for Egoboo in spare time.
Ill be posting anything I prepare in this topic. Im not sure how many models Id be able to make but well see.
You can also ask me for something that is needed. I just cant make any promises but Ill try my best.

I havent had time to figure out the full process of making models for Egoboo yet.
For now I managed to get a Blender exported model into Quake 2 Model Editor. Ill see how it goes from there later.

The first model I prepared is a gnomish Steamed Walker ver.0.3
Its got 120 vertices. As I understood thats exactly the maximum (needs 8 more reserved for hands) or should I reduce it?
Spoiler: Screenshots
penguinflyer5234
Sheep (Developer)
Sheep (Developer)

Re: Darks models

Post by penguinflyer5234 »

Code: Select all

enum e_id_md2_constant
 	{
 	MD2_MAGIC_NUMBER = 0x32504449,
 	MD2_VERSION = 8,
 	MD2_MAX_NORMALS = 162,
 	MD2_MAX_TRIANGLES = 0x1000,
 	MD2_MAX_VERTICES = 0x0800,
 	MD2_MAX_TEXCOORDS = 0x0800,
 	MD2_MAX_FRAMES = 0x0200,
 	MD2_MAX_SKINS = 0x0020,
 	MD2_MAX_FRAMESIZE = ( MD2_MAX_VERTICES * 4 + 128 )
};
From r1599 (about 2.9.0 RC 1)
Dark
Tranch (Novice)
Tranch (Novice)

Post by Dark »

Glad to hear that.
I already had to simplify the walker model in a few places to get it fit in the limit. Seems it wont be a problem next time.

I couldnt resist so I textured it.

It also appears that I managed to get Blender to export models into md2 with UVs and animation frames.
After exporting md2 opens in Quake editor and seems pretty ok...
I havent had a chance to try the model in game yet though so I dont know if its fully compatible.
Last edited by Dark on Sat Jun 09, 2012 3:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
penguinflyer5234
Sheep (Developer)
Sheep (Developer)

Post by penguinflyer5234 »

(your images are being text/html files :|)

What version of Blender is this? 2.50+ doesn't appear to export .md2 :(
Dark
Tranch (Novice)
Tranch (Novice)

Post by Dark »

Huh? You mean the images in post? They look fine to me...

I got Blender 2.60 with some manually fixed exporting script I found.
I think its this one:
md2_export_Blender2.58.zip
(6.66 KiB) Downloaded 549 times
Heres the steam wealker I exported:
Steam_walker.zip
(6.5 KiB) Downloaded 274 times
Its not finished yet though. Still lacks animations and all those grip vertices.
It would be great if someone could try it in game somehow to see if it works. It will probably take a while before I figure it out.
Dark
Tranch (Novice)
Tranch (Novice)

Post by Dark »

Its going along nicely. Now I just need to animate it.
octagon
Darkshine Knight (Extremist fanatic)

Post by octagon »

This looks pretty cool and Egobooish. Nice work, I can't wait to try this out this in-game.
Agent of Dread
Protector (Senior Member)
Protector (Senior Member)

Post by Agent of Dread »

That model looks super-nifty. Really cool stuff. :)
- Linktree: linktr.ee/trilbs -
bgbirdsey
{]-[0{0|307 (Developer)
{]-[0{0|307 (Developer)

Post by bgbirdsey »

I am in favor of using Misfit Model, because of the skeleton and the texture vertex manipulation. The problem is that it has issues with isolated vertices and does not auto-generate OpenGL commands.

The md2 editor generates the OpenGL commands, and allows direct painting of the model, BUT does not have any skeleton.

Blender I don't know since it seems too clunky to live imho.
Dark
Tranch (Novice)
Tranch (Novice)

Post by Dark »

Im glad you like it guys.

Didnt try Misfit... but Im pretty fine with Blender + Quake Editor in the end.
I never really used skeletal animation and I dont even see the need with low-poly models like these.

I think its done...
Stats could still be adjusted until someone actually needs it. Didnt try balancing them yet.
For now its got flamethrower ammunition for 15 attacks. Lots of health, good weapon resistances and zap inversion. Its weak against fire though.

I was thinking about making different versions of the walker.
For example rusty walker looking all dirty, rusty and covered in seaweeds. It would be weaker and even slower version but resistant to fire while vulnerable to ice.
I guess this still needs some more thinking though.

I had some trouble with this guys animations in game. For some reason attacking while walking transferred walking animation speed to attack animation.
This was pretty bad in the case of walker as his attack animation is important. If it ends too soon he blows rest of the fire downwards.
In the end I had to mess about with scripting but after enough hassle I got it working somehow.

One thing Id wish to add is some steam going from the pipes... but I dont think its possible considering its a mount with attack which already utilises both grips.

Im not sure when Ill be able to get to it but I think next Im going to prepare some more steampunk gnomish stuff.
Possibly some tiny tanks and robots as enemies.
Ultimately I am thinking about preparing content for some kind of gnomish module.
Attachments
swalker.zip
(162.18 KiB) Downloaded 287 times
octagon

Post by octagon »

This would be quite amazing... it could work quite well in the palaces, too.
How about a "McWalker's InstaMechWalker Kit" or something similarly silly that allows you to have one of these for the duration of the module?
Dark
Tranch (Novice)
Tranch (Novice)

Post by Dark »

Ability for Gnomes to build their own mounts. Thats a really cool idea.

I dont think it would be OP either since the walker got limited ammunition and its very slow.
Going across whole module with it would be a problem but it would be something nice to use when youre expecting a tough fight.
Also the toolkit could cost accordingly in shops (perhaps only place to get these would be some Gnomish town if we make one evenetually).
Id suggest a more silly name though: "Walker Kit for Dummies".

Was thinking about how itd work with different walkers though.
There could either be one toolkit and depending on your stats youd produce a corresponding walker (but Id find it more fun if different walkers would have unique features hence any could be usefull)
or there could be a few different kits - each producing different walker and requiring different skill level (cos building a walker could fail if so).
octagon

Post by octagon »

Perhaps there could be a crafting "mini-system", where you can buy or find a mechanical component, whose skin can be changed by using it, and you can hold it in your off-hand while using the walker kit to determine which type of walker you'll build?
Either something like Kingdom of Loathing's supertinkering products, or just a generic crafting component whose phenotype is somehow magically transferred to the entire walker...
The thing with the stat requirements could then be implemented by making you incapable to create the fancier transformations of the component (if your INT is too low, it will just go back to 0 from skin 1 or 2 and skip the higher ones, or, if your intelligence is too low to even create skin 1, it will just fail to transform altogether)
Dark
Tranch (Novice)
Tranch (Novice)

Post by Dark »

I think it would be better to keep things as simple as possible. We have to keep in mind the limited inventory. It would be better to need just one item.
Utilising walkers armor is a nice idea though.
I made 3 walkers. Each of them could have its own toolkit. Depending on players stats the produced walkers armor would be set (which would affect defense and speed).

The three walkers I made are:

Rusty Walker:
Average life, speed, armor. Low poke resistance. High ice and zap resistance. Unlimited ammo (melee attack).
rwalker.obj.zip
(184.28 KiB) Downloaded 292 times
Wooden Walker:
Low life and armor. Best speed. Low fire resistance. 15 fire breaths.
wwalker.obj.zip
(188.82 KiB) Downloaded 269 times
Iron Walker:
Best life and armor. Low speed. Low crush and ice resistance. Good slash and zap resistance. 20 electroshocks that recharge on zap damage.
iwalker.obj.zip
(153.27 KiB) Downloaded 256 times
octagon

Post by octagon »

There should be *some* way to decide yourself which type of walker you get - each of these seem fairly situational, and you shouldn't be limited to one type by your stats.