Egoboo 2.9.0 RC1

The development of the game itself or new resources for it. Any new stuff you're working on would go here, as well as the discussion of in-development stuff.

Moderator: Developers

penguinflyer5234
Sheep (Developer)
Sheep (Developer)

Re: Egoboo 2.9.0 RC1

Post by penguinflyer5234 »

Windows 2.9.0 RC1 has been uploaded to SF, first post has been updated.
octagon
Darkshine Knight (Extremist fanatic)

Post by octagon »

Thank you, pf5234 :)
This is kind of like a belated birthday present.

Edit: Sadly, the bugs from ye olde SVN binary are still present...
-Hitboxes are still borked. This makes certain weapons practically useless... Lance charges, most projectiles and most monsters' melee appear to work correctly though. Lumpkins and cobols cannot hit you in melee at all (found it in the SVN version a while ago). Picking up coins is also strange, but works. Kind of.
-Sometimes, after respawn, objects including monsters in the area where you died are invisible.
-Tents don't spawn their contents when destroyed.
-Your position isn't correctly tracked by the map anymore after you respawn. (Adventurer Starter)
-Ghoul attacks have a blind spot at point blank. Perhaps leave this in, since it's fairly fitting and knowledge of this exploit doesn't completely prevent them from hitting you.
-If a monster is killed by a charged magic missile shot, spare missiles will orbit it. On the other hand, they're slower than for example mephits, so they can be outrun.
-Skeleton-type enemies don't have damage messages when hit by weapon attacks.
-The game is still arguably too dark. Fairy light and other illumination tools have a strangely small radius, and in some cases, the light level updates with a delay (Healer Starter).
-There should be some way to cancel your spells. Walking into a gunpowder box room in Wizard Starter with charged magic missiles means certain death.
-The menu transition animation is unnecessarily (?) slow.
-In Wizard Starter, the semi-hidden chest in the room opposite to the lava chamber didn't spawn its contents (unless the only content of the chest is a stool. I remember that it contained the Burning Hands spell, but I may be wrong...)

Sneaking works really well (at least for slowing down movement - I didn't try stealthing yet).
Last edited by octagon on Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Agent of Dread
Protector (Senior Member)
Protector (Senior Member)

Post by Agent of Dread »

So is it playably stable, or am I going to have to regress back to 2.6.8 for my nostalgia trip? :o
- Linktree: linktr.ee/trilbs -
octagon

Post by octagon »

It's stable in a certain sense of the word, but half of the enemies are completely harmless, and certain classes can hardly fight at all. In some parts of the game, like Wizard Starter, you shouldn't notice the bugs though.
Shade
Potion Mimic (Senior Member)

Post by Shade »

I only just now realized that this version exists.

And holy crap, it actually runs! But it's still completely unplayable because no matter what buttons I set the controls to, I can jump, attack and drop/pick up items, but I can't move.

Also, I only get 15 FPS despite having a high-end machine. What.
penguinflyer5234
Sheep (Developer)
Sheep (Developer)

I get 24.5 FPS and 50 UPS with OS X and with Win8RP in VBox. (advent.mod was the one tested)

Did you enter a module and then set the controls? That works for me.
Shade

Post by Shade »

I set the controls before entering adventure starter and then tried setting them to different buttons while in it, but neither worked.
(Again, attacking, jumping and such worked, just moving around didn't)
penguinflyer5234
Sheep (Developer)
Sheep (Developer)

You have to restart Egoboo, it seems. (remember that? it's back!)

Odd though that in OS X you have to edit the controls everytime but it works, while Windows you have to edit the controls once and restart :|
Shade

Post by Shade »

Oh. Oh well, too late, haha.

After taking a look at the massive changelog in the "here's the stable version" thread, I realized that there's actually one version after 2.6.8 that already has the global object thingie in it and doesn't seem to have any of the other changes that broke the game for me. Trying that one now; if it works, I may have found the perfect base to start from.
Lordofdragonss
Chest Mimic (Community member)
Chest Mimic (Community member)

Post by Lordofdragonss »

Ehh it seems that Paladin starter is bugged- You can't get the first key from the tomb... Actualy all tombs don't tdrop anything...
Also the starters are a little TOO hard. It's ok to die 1 time but 5-8 from the same foe because it's so strong? Ridiculous.
Image FEED ME!