summon cards

The development of the game itself or new resources for it. Any new stuff you're working on would go here, as well as the discussion of in-development stuff.

Moderator: Developers

bgbirdsey
{]-[0{0|307 (Developer)
{]-[0{0|307 (Developer)

summon cards

Post by bgbirdsey »

I added a version of DBAce9Aura's art for summon cards into the /globalobjects/work_in_progress/summon_card.obj. It looks pretty good in the model editor, but I'm not sure what will happen in-game.

What we need are the supporting files, and some idea of what they are supposed to do, so...
  • what do you think a summoning card should do?
  • How should they work?
  • there would only be 4 "cards" so do we have a limit of 4 objects that can be summoned, or if not then what?
  • what casting restrictions should there be?
woodmouse
Monolich (Senior Member)
Monolich (Senior Member)

Re: summon cards

Post by woodmouse »

To me it'd seem natural that what can be summoned would be randomized by card. You know, once it's spawned, it'd be randomized but after it's grabbed it won't anymore... and couldn't almost all the non-intelligent monsters be summoned? You know, like so they'd have levels or classifications or something?
Maybe they'd cost mana AND have ammo?
Once upon a time, when unicorns roamed the earth...
octagon
Darkshine Knight (Extremist fanatic)
Darkshine Knight (Extremist fanatic)

Re: summon cards

Post by octagon »

An idea for the classification system: each skin would be linked to a phylum, so for example, skin 0 would only conjure magical beings and demons, skin 1 would only summon vertebrates (including humanoids), skin 2 would be for insect (swarm)s (and things like squidgies), and skin 3 would summon bosses and other legendary beings (and you could only use these cards if you defeated or otherwise interacted with this type of monster once)...
Most summoned monsters should either follow the hero around and help them fight for a while, or rush towards enemies like a berserker, but high-level monsters like a rust eater or hellrover
There could be feats learned by high-level wizards and some hero classes (Arcane Gambler [Rogue, G'nome], who also uses the summon cards for, well, gambling) that somehow improve the efficiency of the cards (percental chance of not consuming a card, increasing summon duration or power).
And how about a Book of Refine Summon Card (or whatever we'd call it)? Each summon monster would have a power rating, and if you get a card of Summon Grub Bugs, you can cast the upgrade spell to turn it into e. g. a card that summons tranches.
(This topic wasn't posted in for more than a year, I know)