Quake models

The development of the game itself or new resources for it. Any new stuff you're working on would go here, as well as the discussion of in-development stuff.

Moderator: Developers

Cimeries
Lumberjack (Developer)
Lumberjack (Developer)

Quake models

Post by Cimeries »

I occasionally come across some old interesting stuff while looking for Quake mods, and one of those is this:
http://www.btinternet.com/~chapterhonour/models.htm

There are a few monster mdl models, particularly a good looking, fully animated yeti that we can use instead of the one we have now in Egoboo.
The creator of these models is 'Preach', and we can mention him in the credits and put a .txt in the object folders of these monsters with his name and this website. Unfortunately there's no Email or anything on the site so we can't contact him, but I think the above should be sufficient.

I'll post more here if I find any other resources compatible with our license.
:wink:
Zefz
Squirrel Knight (Administrator)

Re: Quake models

Post by Zefz »

Ohh nice find. I like the scuttler. Are they animated?
Cimeries
Lumberjack (Developer)
Lumberjack (Developer)

Post by Cimeries »

It says that the scuttler, wolf, yeti and carniflex are animated.

Here's another find, some models from OpenQuartz an unfinished Quake mod that attempts to recreate all the resources of Quake from scratch, and is licensed under the GPL.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/371dna1ud ... Models.rar

The GPL for these is version 2 and is from circa 1991, so I don't know how it fits with our own, but I think we can use these since we are under the GPL as well.

Some of the naming is misleading becasue it uses Quake conventions, but a few notable models are the zombie, which is actually some kind of tree monster, the wizard, which is a dragon, and some gibs that we can use as scenery.
woodmouse
Monolich (Senior Member)
Monolich (Senior Member)

Post by woodmouse »

Really? I mean, um, can they really be used? :o As far as I know, they always have the "free for non-commercial Quake mods or other GPL-stuff", so it's kinda ambiguious (at least to me), since even though Egoboo is GPL, if the things are meant for Quake, it kind of rises the question "are we breaking copyrights?". You know, like trademarks/copyrights, because... well, you understand even though I can't explain it properly, right? :oops:

PS: if they really can be used, shouldn't we edit them to be more Egobooish? That way it wouldn't seem like we're just stealing something to other people, and it'd make Egoboo more unique.
Once upon a time, when unicorns roamed the earth...
Cimeries
Lumberjack (Developer)
Lumberjack (Developer)

Post by Cimeries »

Of course we can do our own skinwork and someone will need to put grips on the models. But the models themselves are pretty Egoboo-ish already, Quake is only slightly higher on the polygon count than us. And consider this: Egoboo is pretty much an extremely bastardized Quake mod with its own engine. :)

Open Quartz is actually a GPL game on its own, since there are no resources from Quake in it. If Wesnoth can use the same sounds we do, we can use resources from other GPL games too.
bgbirdsey
{]-[0{0|307 (Developer)
{]-[0{0|307 (Developer)

Post by bgbirdsey »

You can't really have a license that says "this is free to use for this specific purpose." This is why the GPL has had to modify its terms over and over to allow for downstream commercialization, and other things. Some of the music in Egoboo was developed for Neverwinter Nights but was released as public domain, similar to the way that other GPL/Freeware titles like Wesnoth have done.

At the same time, you cannot place just anything under a GPL distribution, which is the problem we had with the negatori font. Negatori is free to use for non-commercial, but had some specific licensing that was incompatible with GPL.

PS I like the bugmonster too.
Zefz

Post by Zefz »

Nice find again cimeries.