New GUI images (if they're needed) / license flamewar! :}

The development of the game itself or new resources for it. Any new stuff you're working on would go here, as well as the discussion of in-development stuff.

Moderator: Developers

woodmouse
Monolich (Senior Member)
Monolich (Senior Member)

New GUI images (if they're needed) / license flamewar! :}

Post by woodmouse »

I was bored and read a review in the internet that called Egoboo's GUI "too simple" or something, although I (and everyone else) like it, but if it turns off new people... here's something I did. I don't know if it's needed, and if not, I don't care since I was just bored and did this because of it. :P

So if it's good/wanted, I can make more if needed. BTW I have no idea if it even is possible to add image overlay/background things like that... :lol:
Last edited by woodmouse on Wed Mar 16, 2011 4:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Once upon a time, when unicorns roamed the earth...
octagon
Darkshine Knight (Extremist fanatic)

Re: New GUI images (if they're needed)

Post by octagon »

These menu frames look awesome. I would love to see them in the GUI.
Zefz
Squirrel Knight (Administrator)

Post by Zefz »

The current GUI isn't made out of images, but out of simple text written on red boxes. There would need to be some code alterations to for this to work.
bgbirdsey
{]-[0{0|307 (Developer)
{]-[0{0|307 (Developer)

Post by bgbirdsey »

Technically, we could use whatever background images we want. However, egoboo is a retro-style game with a retro-style gui, so I am not concerned with such comments.
freegamer
Grub Bug (Rookie)
Grub Bug (Rookie)

Post by freegamer »

Looks really good woodmouse.

I would encourage you to post this to www.opengameart.org so that other projects could make use of it.
Free Gamer - open source games resource
FreeGameDev - free software game community
woodmouse
Monolich (Senior Member)
Monolich (Senior Member)

Post by woodmouse »

freegamer wrote:I would encourage you to post this to http://www.opengameart.org so that other projects could make use of it.
Noooooooooooooo! :cry: That'd be like making food and giving it to children living on the street. :P
Agent of Dread
Protector (Senior Member)
Protector (Senior Member)

Post by Agent of Dread »

And you're saying that's not a nice thing to do? :O
- Linktree: linktr.ee/trilbs -
woodmouse
Monolich (Senior Member)
Monolich (Senior Member)

Post by woodmouse »

Agent of Dread wrote:And you're saying that's not a nice thing to do? :O
Well, yeah kinda. I mean, sure, giving food to children is nice, but if there's any possiblity you yourself need the food, why'd you give it away? :lol:

...but anyway, I don't really like GPL outside Egoboo stuff. If Egoboo wouldn't exist, I'd be 100% anti-GPL, so... :P
Zefz

Post by Zefz »

But GPL is good!
octagon

Post by octagon »

Agent of Dread wrote:And you're saying that's not a nice thing to do? :O
Are you implying woodmoose likes doing nice things? :P
freegamer
Grub Bug (Rookie)
Grub Bug (Rookie)

Post by freegamer »

Somebody should contact woodmouse's ISP. He doesn't need:
www.blender.org
www.gimp.org
www.inkscape.org
www.libreoffice.org / www.openoffice.org
www.eclipse.org
gcc.gnu.org
www.python.org

I could easily go on. :D

http://www.opengameart.org/ - has some great stuff
http://clintbellanger.net/rpg/videos.php <-- example
freegamer
Grub Bug (Rookie)
Grub Bug (Rookie)

Post by freegamer »

woodmouse wrote:Well, yeah kinda. I mean, sure, giving food to children is nice, but if there's any possiblity you yourself need the food, why'd you give it away? :lol:
OK, so you have food, and you're hungry, so you keep it yourself. That's fine; survival etc.

However it's not like that. Consider GPL-stuff more like recipes. There are kids on the street with flour and water and yeast. They don't know how to make bread. You do. You can share that recipe, or sit there eating the bread and laugh manically as they try to eat flour and yeast and wash it down with water.

If you share this art, you don't lose it. You still have it.

Your art, your choice, but don't confuse sharing with giving away.
woodmouse
Monolich (Senior Member)
Monolich (Senior Member)

Post by woodmouse »

freegamer wrote:
woodmouse wrote:Well, yeah kinda. I mean, sure, giving food to children is nice, but if there's any possiblity you yourself need the food, why'd you give it away? :lol:
OK, so you have food, and you're hungry, so you keep it yourself. That's fine; survival etc.

However it's not like that. Consider GPL-stuff more like recipes. There are kids on the street with flour and water and yeast. They don't know how to make bread. You do. You can share that recipe, or sit there eating the bread and laugh manically as they try to eat flour and yeast and wash it down with water.
Well, maybe, kind of you're right. Still, it's not the same. I wouldn't "laugh maniacally" at them, I'd just eat the bread I have, and even if I'd teach them how to make the bread, that'd mean they can make their OWN bread. You know, it wouldn't be the same. It's like, I'd give them a template of an image and they'd build up from that, they wouldn't take what I have and give it to others, and so on.
freegamer wrote:If you share this art, you don't lose it. You still have it.

Your art, your choice, but don't confuse sharing with giving away.
Sharing is half giving away, lol. I mean, if something won't be used for what it was originally meant for, and everyone can take and use it, it loses its meaning. It's the same thing with music; if you make a really awesome song and release it under GPL, anyone can do the simplest change to it and claim they made it; they wouldn't lie, technically. That's why it annoys me to hell and back that somebody's taken sounds from Egoboo and added them to Wesnoth, claiming that he made them... I know he claimed he made them, because when I asked about it from the admin of that time, he said EVERYTHING in Wesnoth has been made by those who contribute to it... so. That's the dark side of GPL. :P

BUT I'm not against public domain, I've myself done a few things that are public domain (although it's been because people used them even when they had copyright to them... :roll:) Public domain things are nice, because that means anyone can do anything with it, but it doesn't have to be compalitible with any other license.

Oh and yeah, by the way, if someone comes to this forum and takes the art, I don't complain. It's (a bit) the same thing as meeting someone you've never met before, you want to meet them in a public place with lots of people around in case the person isn't what they say. You know, if you'd go meet someone in THEIR home, that'd be stupid. But that's the same point of view for the other person, if they're normal. They wouldn't want to meet you in your home unless they're suspicious in some way, right? So if someone comes to this forum (the public place) and takes the art, which is GPL-licensed, they can take it. But if they want me to go to another website full of people only they know, that's like going to their home, and if I'd post it in a site with GPL-licensed stuff, it'd become one of the many in the mass of lonely stuff. If you don't understand, I understand since I'm a bit tired (couldn't get much sleep) and what I type might be a bit confusing. :lol:
penguinflyer5234
Sheep (Developer)
Sheep (Developer)

Re: New GUI images (if they're needed) / license flamewar! :

Post by penguinflyer5234 »

technically you are licensing under the GPL because Egoboo is under the GPL :)
woodmouse
Monolich (Senior Member)
Monolich (Senior Member)

Re: New GUI images (if they're needed) / license flamewar! :

Post by woodmouse »

penguinflyer5234 wrote:technically you are licensing under the GPL because Egoboo is under the GPL :)
I know. That's what I said in the post, btw. At least I tried, but I'm not sure if it's understandable. :P