New GUI images (if they're needed) / license flamewar! :}

The development of the game itself or new resources for it. Any new stuff you're working on would go here, as well as the discussion of in-development stuff.

Moderator: Developers

Cimeries
Lumberjack (Developer)
Lumberjack (Developer)

Re: New GUI images (if they're needed) / license flamewar! :

Post by Cimeries »

I agree with Woodmouse, though I'm a bit selfish like that.

I would submit it if I had no intention of ever using it for anything myself, though.
:wink:
freegamer
Grub Bug (Rookie)
Grub Bug (Rookie)

Re: New GUI images (if they're needed)

Post by freegamer »

woodmouse wrote:Sharing is half giving away, lol. I mean, if something won't be used for what it was originally meant for, and everyone can take and use it, it loses its meaning. It's the same thing with music; if you make a really awesome song and release it under GPL, anyone can do the simplest change to it and claim they made it; they wouldn't lie, technically. That's why it annoys me to hell and back that somebody's taken sounds from Egoboo and added them to Wesnoth, claiming that he made them... I know he claimed he made them, because when I asked about it from the admin of that time, he said EVERYTHING in Wesnoth has been made by those who contribute to it... so. That's the dark side of GPL. :P
You, my friend, need to research things beyond face value.

The GPL is but one of many, many licenses. You are tarring all of Free software and open source with a single brush.

I recommend:
http://creativecommons.org/choose/

Many, many projects accept CC-by-SA; OpenGameArt even recommends it, I believe.
Free Gamer - open source games resource
FreeGameDev - free software game community
woodmouse
Monolich (Senior Member)
Monolich (Senior Member)

Re: New GUI images (if they're needed)

Post by woodmouse »

freegamer wrote:
woodmouse wrote:Sharing is half giving away, lol. I mean, if something won't be used for what it was originally meant for, and everyone can take and use it, it loses its meaning. It's the same thing with music; if you make a really awesome song and release it under GPL, anyone can do the simplest change to it and claim they made it; they wouldn't lie, technically. That's why it annoys me to hell and back that somebody's taken sounds from Egoboo and added them to Wesnoth, claiming that he made them... I know he claimed he made them, because when I asked about it from the admin of that time, he said EVERYTHING in Wesnoth has been made by those who contribute to it... so. That's the dark side of GPL. :P
You, my friend, need to research things beyond face value.

The GPL is but one of many, many licenses. You are tarring all of Free software and open source with a single brush.

I recommend:
http://creativecommons.org/choose/

Many, many projects accept CC-by-SA; OpenGameArt even recommends it, I believe.
I know creative commons... and hate it. Mainly because of the words "endorse" and "hereby" that are always used in relation to it.
Once upon a time, when unicorns roamed the earth...
Cimeries
Lumberjack (Developer)
Lumberjack (Developer)

Post by Cimeries »

That's just legal banter. Every document can benefit from some of those, even your English assignments in school. :)
:wink:
woodmouse
Monolich (Senior Member)
Monolich (Senior Member)

Post by woodmouse »

Cimeries wrote:That's just legal banter. Every document can benefit from some of those, even your English assignments in school. :)
I know. That's why I hate them. :P
Once upon a time, when unicorns roamed the earth...