New town development, forest stuff, etc...

The development of the game itself or new resources for it. Any new stuff you're working on would go here, as well as the discussion of in-development stuff.

Moderator: Developers

Zefz
Squirrel Knight (Administrator)

Post by Zefz »

I think we have a Hero class list for various suggestions. You could of course invent your own.

Like an Elven Ranger, an Elf that specializes on ranged combat instead of magic. (gaining a lot of dex, hitpoints, strength but no magical powers). Note that elves normally do not gain strength or life points.
woodmouse
Monolich (Senior Member)
Monolich (Senior Member)

Post by woodmouse »

Zefz wrote:I think we have a Hero class list for various suggestions. You could of course invent your own.

Like an Elven Ranger, an Elf that specializes on ranged combat instead of magic. (gaining a lot of dex, hitpoints, strength but no magical powers). Note that elves normally do not gain strength or life points.
Hmm, that ranger would probably fit in the module. Although I'd need to make it a lot harder, since it currently is extremely easy... Or maybe I'll make many forest modules. :lol: Who knows how much of Lorule is covered in it? :P
Once upon a time, when unicorns roamed the earth...
woodmouse
Monolich (Senior Member)
Monolich (Senior Member)

Post by woodmouse »

So, I spent the whole yesterday and the whole last night making this, and here's the result:
Bishopia Forest- a big forest a few kilometers away from Bishopia. It has some different small in-module-quests, and some weird npcs. It's not finished ofc, but it's a whole different story as to how finishing it would work... I mean, I'm not good with shops (like I've said 1000 times before) and it'd have to have at least some of those... As well as of course sidequests. WEEELL, those aren't a problem, but you know, it's kinda empty without sidequest giving npcs.
Agent of Dread
Protector (Senior Member)

Post by Agent of Dread »

Those look awesome!

Hey, if you like forest modules and stuff, you should have a look at the elven town Mighty Wood (or was it something else)?
- Linktree: linktr.ee/trilbs -
Zefz

Post by Zefz »

Do you have a quest concept for the module? If you are making a Hero module, there should be some sort of objective or challenge to prove the Elf worthy to become a ranger. Probably something with the ranged weapon, like using a bow to activate a switch to open a door or maybe cut a rope or similar. Some boss monster that cannot be defeated through magic (maybe gets stronger when hit by magic?)
octagon
Darkshine Knight (Extremist fanatic)

Post by octagon »

Or you could use it for the ranger class. Isn't birdsey's Ranger complete?
Agent of Dread

Post by Agent of Dread »

I think that if there's going to be a ranger hero class, there's no need for a starter class too...
- Linktree: linktr.ee/trilbs -
octagon

Post by octagon »

It also could be fun to have really big map containing both a town-ish place and a fight/exploration area with hostile NPCs. For example, a small town of farmers and craftsmen, which is often attacked by bandits, and you have to defeat a certain bandit boss or them all or to retrieve an item... Though the bandits should of course (with possible exceptions) keep out of the town.
You could access the town as a quest module once you unlock the quest, but it would not contain anything worth checking the shops. Once you beat the quest, you can use the module like a normal town, but no hostile bandits exist anymore, and the shops are filled with the crafts again which the town is famous for.
woodmouse
Monolich (Senior Member)
Monolich (Senior Member)

Post by woodmouse »

Wow a lot of replies. :o
Agent of Dread wrote:Hey, if you like forest modules and stuff, you should have a look at the elven town Mighty Wood (or was it something else)?
Yeah, I thought I'd do that, but I really don't know how, as I said, I'm not good with shops with randomized things. But I'll try making it, if only the map and object placement. Then somebody else, who's capable of, could script something...
Anyway, I think it'd be awesome if the town was structured like this:
-Ground; normal shops with no especially specialized items for elves. Anyone could go there, but it'd be a VERY limited area (possibly just 10x10 tiles?) and it'd have elf-only gates (maybe some sort of guards would open them?) to other parts of the town.
----Elf-only ground/tower; behind the gates, there would be different sections, which all would be combined together in the center, where would be a tower with different floors, all specialized for elves and the higher ones would be accessible for only higher levels {floor 1 for 1-leveled, floor 2 for 5-leveled, floor 3 for 10-leveled, floor 4 for 15-leveled, floor 5 for 18-leveled, floor 6 for 20-leveled} (is 20 still the highest level?).
-Forest; only for elves, but it could be accessible for other classes from another module? Full of peaceful animals, and some kind of hermit living somewhere in it.
Zefz wrote:Do you have a quest concept for the module? If you are making a Hero module, there should be some sort of objective or challenge to prove the Elf worthy to become a ranger. Probably something with the ranged weapon, like using a bow to activate a switch to open a door or maybe cut a rope or similar. Some boss monster that cannot be defeated through magic (maybe gets stronger when hit by magic?)
Not for this one at least, it's kind of a town but without the town part. :lol:
But I was thinking that the ranger could be a sort of "target shooting" thing, but I'm not sure how to make it... Kind of a long hallway filled with doors and rooms on the sides, and each room would be a small forest with different enemies, etc and something that should be killed with a bow (there would be a wide hole in the ground in between). And now that you say it, the magic thing would be awesome. Or maybe it wouldn't get stronger, but it'd spawn a new wave of enemies? Possibly when the "target" is killed, the room would collapse? Although scripting it would be a pain in the bass... Possible but... I know how to do it in theory, but... LOL, practice is a different thing. :oops:
octagon wrote:It also could be fun to have really big map containing both a town-ish place and a fight/exploration area with hostile NPCs. For example, a small town of farmers and craftsmen, which is often attacked by bandits, and you have to defeat a certain bandit boss or them all or to retrieve an item... Though the bandits should of course (with possible exceptions) keep out of the town.
You could access the town as a quest module once you unlock the quest, but it would not contain anything worth checking the shops. Once you beat the quest, you can use the module like a normal town, but no hostile bandits exist anymore, and the shops are filled with the crafts again which the town is famous for.
Hmm, yeah, it'd be nice but a bit annoying to make, LOL.
octagon

Post by octagon »

woodmouse wrote:But I was thinking that the ranger could be a sort of "target shooting" thing, but I'm not sure how to make it...
Target shooting becomes more interesting and difficult if you occasionally have to fire your arrows from a floating platform (like the Wizard Starter one)...
woodmouse wrote:Hmm, yeah, it'd be nice but a bit annoying to make, LOL
You could even use your favourite script with quest IDSZs and GoPoof. :lol:
woodmouse
Monolich (Senior Member)
Monolich (Senior Member)

Post by woodmouse »

Here's a new town. It's not finished at all... It only has peasants, guards and healers and a few crates and trees. But the map itself is finished.
http://www.mediafire.com/?no6ydf8agae8331
It's BIG. I mean, I dunno if it's actually bigger than Bishopia... Might be. :lol: It needs to be filled with stuff... MAAAAANY shops, etc.
Would be nice if everyone who wants, would do something to it, LOL! You know, so it would be epic. :rofl:
And a few screenshots from Egomap:
Zefz

Post by Zefz »

That is a good idea woodmouse (about the elven and human division of the town).

Here were my ideas of Greatwood:

- There would be this gigantic big tree in the middle. (I mean really GIGANTIC)
- Shops that specialize in various types of bows
- Shop that specialize in arcane spellbooks
- Ponds of sparkling water (waterfall?)
- Lush flowers, mushrooms and a lot of forest. (gigantic mushrooms?)
- Elven guards with bows and elven sorcerers
- Faeries and sprites wandering around

From the vision docs of Aaron himself:
The Fellwoods, Big lake with giant lilly pads
Four 50ft diameter trees, one of which is only a stump
Waterfalls and shafts of light come from the canopy above
Crystal clear water effect over prelit lake bottom
Trogs hide underwater and in trees, Trogpoles swim in water
woodmouse
Monolich (Senior Member)
Monolich (Senior Member)

Post by woodmouse »

Zefz wrote:That is a good idea woodmouse (about the elven and human division of the town).

Here were my ideas of Greatwood:

- There would be this gigantic big tree in the middle. (I mean really GIGANTIC)
- Shops that specialize in various types of bows
- Shop that specialize in arcane spellbooks
- Ponds of sparkling water (waterfall?)
- Lush flowers, mushrooms and a lot of forest. (gigantic mushrooms?)
- Elven guards with bows and elven sorcerers
- Faeries and sprites wandering around

From the vision docs of Aaron himself:
The Fellwoods, Big lake with giant lilly pads
Four 50ft diameter trees, one of which is only a stump
Waterfalls and shafts of light come from the canopy above
Crystal clear water effect over prelit lake bottom
Trogs hide underwater and in trees, Trogpoles swim in water
Hmmm... Would the town I posted above be good base for the Greatwood town? Or should it be something completely different?
Zefz

Post by Zefz »

I think it looks to castle or city like, similar to bishopia. I was visioning a more forest and nature oriented city. Maybe the only houses would be big trees (trees with doors and windows? :P). Maybe the lower town (non-elf area) could have some human like structure, but I think the elves need to be quite different from other types of towns. (or it may just end up being another bishopia)
woodmouse
Monolich (Senior Member)
Monolich (Senior Member)

Post by woodmouse »

Zefz wrote:I think it looks to castle or city like, similar to bishopia. I was visioning a more forest and nature oriented city. Maybe the only houses would be big trees (trees with doors and windows? :P). Maybe the lower town (non-elf area) could have some human like structure, but I think the elves need to be quite different from other types of towns. (or it may just end up being another bishopia)
Mmmmh. :D
But how can the tree houses be done? I tried doing some, but... it's impossible to make rounded things in Egomap, so... :? Also, how would the branches be done? Because as far as I know, it'd have to be done with individual models, and placing them correctly would probably be impossible? (I guess part of the problem is that I have an obsession with that all houses can be entered... :lol: )