Voices

The development of the game itself or new resources for it. Any new stuff you're working on would go here, as well as the discussion of in-development stuff.

Moderator: Developers

u8312n008
Acid Blob (New member)
Acid Blob (New member)

Voices

Post by u8312n008 »

i apologize ahead of time if this is in the wrong place, but it seemed like the right category.

after seeing the project and how much everyone was working on it, i wanted to help, but unfortunately, since all i can really do is write and voice act, voices are all i could contribute. i asked zefz and he told me to try the prophet and Marcus the archaeologist, so here are my goes at it. if you feel they should change, just say so and I'll do my best to re-record it appropriately.

and here they are:
https://sites.google.com/site/bewareteh ... ects=0&d=1
Cimeries
Lumberjack (Developer)
Lumberjack (Developer)

Post by Cimeries »

"I do say, this is perfect for the NPCs in question."

Nice work, sounds very professional.
:wink:
u8312n008
Acid Blob (New member)
Acid Blob (New member)

Post by u8312n008 »

thanks. the archaeologist was tough for god knows what reason ><
octagon
Darkshine Knight (Extremist fanatic)
Darkshine Knight (Extremist fanatic)

Post by octagon »

This is awesome.

That style of talking really fits such quest NPCs. It could work incredibly well in-game.
Zefz
Squirrel Knight (Administrator)

Post by Zefz »

:) Seems others than me are really happy with the result. I must say you have better voice acting skills than me :lol:

I will see to it that the sound clips are used in the game. I thought I heard some microphone static or some other background noise in some clips that I'll try to remove with some audio editing software first.

PS: I love the voice of Marcus.

[EDIT]: OK, here is version 2 of the sounds that I've edited with some audio software. I removed microphone static, clicks and pops along with normalizing all the sound levels. I also converted the sounds to ogg vorbis format which has better compression ratio (=smaller download and module loading time).

Download link: http://www.mediafire.com/?48l1bcn9xlrmqbl
u8312n008
Acid Blob (New member)
Acid Blob (New member)

Post by u8312n008 »

heh, sorry. my mic is a piece of crap, although i've never heard those cracks and pops... maybe cuz my speakers are crap too. im getting a new mic soon anyway though, so i hope it helps. any more specific roles or do you just want me to go though the modules and start voicin?
Cimeries
Lumberjack (Developer)
Lumberjack (Developer)

Post by Cimeries »

I believe the Cobol Palace quest NPC in Bishopia (some kind of Sultan iirc) was in need of better voice acting.
:wink:
Zefz

Post by Zefz »

A voice I really want replaced is Angus in Bishopia. He was supposed to have a scottish accent, but I failed somewhat miserably.

I think there is a tourist guide in some of the towns that could do with a better voice.

Yeah the Sultan could do a better voice. He is supposed to have a heavy accented indian-like English voice.

I just redid the Bishopia Guard voices but I'm not 100% happy with them, they could be better.

Note that you can check the message.txt for each object to see what they are really saying if you find it difficult to hear them.

[edit]Also, I got this idea for generic npc voices. This would be the silent peasants walking around Bishopia, Zippy and Sandweg. They could have random speeches like "Good day!", "Nice weather today", "Have you heard about Bargel? How horrid!" "I saw some grub bugs the other day, horrid creatures they are!", etc. This would make the towns feel more alive with people randomly saying stuff like that.[/edit]
u8312n008
Acid Blob (New member)
Acid Blob (New member)

Post by u8312n008 »

is the sultan under global objects too, i cant find im

an edit to your edit: i can do some generic improv but i'm not too familiar with the lorulian world. hell, i cant even get past the sand palace to get to freakin bishpoian city
bgbirdsey
{]-[0{0|307 (Developer)
{]-[0{0|307 (Developer)

Post by bgbirdsey »

I had a listen to your recordings. Very good work.

Your mic is doing very well, so I wouldn't worry about that. One thing to work on would be to make sure the mic is out of your airstream so that the plosives don't cause a click or pop on the mic.

Some of the waves from the prophet were recorded at too high a volume and are clipped. It is not too noticeable with voices but it is always better to have a clean waveform to work with.
u8312n008
Acid Blob (New member)
Acid Blob (New member)

Post by u8312n008 »

actiually i do need a new mic, it was a miracle that it was working properly, earlier it shorted out and my voice was deeper than it should have been. and for the airstream thing: if i move it barely any distance away, it seriously lowers the volume. like, more than it needs to be lowered.
bgbirdsey
{]-[0{0|307 (Developer)
{]-[0{0|307 (Developer)

Post by bgbirdsey »

Most mics have a "proximity effect" which increases the bass the closer you get to the mic. This effect is pretty big on large diaphragm condenser mics (pretty much the best full range mics you can get). And that's why everyone gets a pop shield with a mic purchase. It also keeps the spit off the mic! LOL

Headset mics or stick mics should be perfectly fine for out purposes, but if it is cutting out, that's not good. We can remove any background noise as long as it's pretty constant and not something like a car driving by. Just make sure to include a couple of seconds of audio before and after your voice.

We definitely need some vocals for King Bishop, but I'm not sure what.

One other thing is that egoboo is pretty much a cartoon. How much can you vary your voice?
Zefz

Post by Zefz »

The Sultan is named Abdulla.

Angus is the name of the NPC in Bishopia.

Here are some ideas for generic talks:
"Good day to you sir!" (Meeting a male)
"Hello mylady!" (Meeting a female)
"Fine weather today isn't it?"
"I saw some grub bugs the other day, horrid creatures they are!"
"Have you heard about Bargel? How horrid!"
"Have you heard about the king? How awful!"
"I heard some strange noises from the graveyard the other day."
"Now where did I leave that coin purse of mine..."
"Wow! You must be one of them G'nomes!" (Meeting a G'nome)
"I admire your work sire!" (Meeting a Paladin)
"Get out of my way!"
etc. etc.
bgbirdsey
{]-[0{0|307 (Developer)
{]-[0{0|307 (Developer)

Post by bgbirdsey »

"Wow! You must be one of them G'nomes!" (Meeting a G'nome)
"Wow! You must be one of them guh-nom-ees!"
bgbirdsey
{]-[0{0|307 (Developer)
{]-[0{0|307 (Developer)

Post by bgbirdsey »

I just had a crazy thought: what if we had a voice-over that read the intro and the final text for each module?