Egoboo 2.8.1 available for play testing

The development of the game itself or new resources for it. Any new stuff you're working on would go here, as well as the discussion of in-development stuff.

Moderator: Developers

bgbirdsey
{]-[0{0|307 (Developer)
{]-[0{0|307 (Developer)

Post by bgbirdsey »

Seth, what weapons were you using and what character with what armor? I am wondering if it is a problem with the Rust monster trying to put an enchant on an item or something else.
Seth
Chest Mimic (Community member)

Post by Seth »

bgbirdsey wrote:Seth, what weapons were you using and what character with what armor? I am wondering if it is a problem with the Rust monster trying to put an enchant on an item or something else.
He is a g’nome with a lab coat on which I got from the merchant of Zippy City. He also wears an amulet of regeneration, also from that merchant.
He currently uses a whip.
He has three Sporks of Yore: Spork of Freedom, the silver one, & the black one. Those are all his current items.
Zefz
Squirrel Knight (Administrator)

Post by Zefz »

Try revision 1415 for trapping the freezing bug:
http://egoboo.sourceforge.net/SVN_build ... -r1415.exe

If it freezes in the enchants or inventory loop, it should now give an error message instead of just freezing up.
Seth

Post by Seth »

I’m afraid that the stuck items are not gone for good. I tried to pick up a silver key & a gold key, but could not. They also kept bouncing on the icy ground.
I noticed that when on mounts, it is easier to pick up “stuck” objects, but all of the striders in the Ice Palace got killed. Thus, I was walking dead.

I have not been able to produce a formal error message.
I think the freezing occurs when you move for a long time.
Zefz

Post by Zefz »

The "stuck item" issue is caused when it's too dark to see. Your grab range is reduced when it's very dark.
Agent of Dread
Protector (Senior Member)
Protector (Senior Member)

Post by Agent of Dread »

I am still having trouble hitting things with Torches, it's making the Sand Troll quite troublesome. Also, how DO you turn off Dev mode?
- Linktree: linktr.ee/trilbs -
Zefz

Post by Zefz »

Goto setup.txt and disable [DEV_MODE]. The real setup.txt that is, not the one in your folder with the exe file.
bgbirdsey
{]-[0{0|307 (Developer)
{]-[0{0|307 (Developer)

Post by bgbirdsey »

I modified several items so that they have more realistic hit boxes.

the torch does not spawn an attack particle until it is right at the bottom of its swing. So you have to be more accurate.
Ponder Stibbons
Acid Blob (New member)
Acid Blob (New member)

Post by Ponder Stibbons »

This release looks great so far. I have, however, noticed a few glitches. The most notable of these has only happened during multiplayer games so far.

Occasionally, the screen will black out, with all but the HUD type stuff (the character/inventory lists, message log, etc) simply going black. The debug log mentions a script error, complaining that 'tmpargument' is an unknown opcode, followed by a complaint that 'tmpargument' is also not a valid operand.
This has happened so far in both Zippy village and the Sand Palace (haven't tried much else so far), though the single player starters haven't had this problem.

Strangely this seems to happen only after a few seconds of normal play, rather than immediately after the module loads.

EDIT: Actually, I fail at reading. The log was complaining that 'tmparugment' was problematic. Fixing the relevant line removes the script error, but the black outs still occur.

Other things include infrequent crashes during some of the starter modules, so far I've had the adventurer module crash twice, but I'm not sure what caused it and it seems hard to reproduce.

Coins occasionally become impossible to interact with, and just lie on the floor spinning, and I've also noticed the occasional creature climbing over/outside of the walls.

Otherwise, great work so far! I can't tell you how happy I am to have the character export bug fixed!
Zefz

Post by Zefz »

Good to hear some more feedback! Have you tried the latest patch as well?

http://egoboo.sourceforge.net/SVN_build ... -r1415.exe

It fixes additional bugs and tries to track down what causes any crashes.
Ponder Stibbons
Acid Blob (New member)
Acid Blob (New member)

Post by Ponder Stibbons »

Yeah, this was from the r1415 version.
danrilgonix
Acid Blob (New member)
Acid Blob (New member)

Post by danrilgonix »

Hmm, everything is great soo far...no problems at all c:
other than some little crash here and there, but, just one question
how do i delete all the saves and all, i mean...
in the new game, the all appear beaten, how do i leave them unbeaten
im saying, just like if i had installed new ?
Zefz

Post by Zefz »

Go to My Egoboo Stuff and delete the Modules folder.

Note that you can still play beaten modules as normal.
danrilgonix
Acid Blob (New member)
Acid Blob (New member)

Post by danrilgonix »

Thanks, well yeah i can play them, but i know that i didnt beat them the right way...
plus, i was messsing with the modules and spawned a bargel in bishopia, and when i see the bishopia module it says beaten xD!
woodmouse
Monolich (Senior Member)
Monolich (Senior Member)

Post by woodmouse »

I think there should be an option to choose where the savings go... Because now it's extremely annoying, at least for me, because it automatically puts it on C:, which is full of stuff... I believe many other people agree but I'm not sure, lol.

You know like when installing Wesnoth for example (yeah again that compariosion :oops: ), you can choose where saved stuff are put, would be good for Egoboo too, I think.

Is it possible in the future...?
Once upon a time, when unicorns roamed the earth...