"New" physics system

The development of the game itself or new resources for it. Any new stuff you're working on would go here, as well as the discussion of in-development stuff.

Moderator: Developers

bgbirdsey
{]-[0{0|307 (Developer)
{]-[0{0|307 (Developer)

"New" physics system

Post by bgbirdsey »

I am almost finished with a new-ish physics system that fixes a lot of problems and overly complicated code.

The code for the attachment, detachment, and movement on platforms should work properly, now.

The code for attaching a character to a mount should work a little better now.

The collision code should detect collisions better.

The slippery-ness of surfaces should be implemented properly.

Code was added to implement airplane-like flying when a character has infinite jumps (which I believe has never been used to this point).
Seth
Chest Mimic (Community member)
Chest Mimic (Community member)

Re: "New" physics system

Post by Seth »

Thank you! You deserve a cake.

Will it still be possible for objects/characters to get on top of walls? It might be a rare exploit, but it could still happen.
bgbirdsey wrote:Code was added to implement airplane-like flying when a character has infinite jumps.
Why?
bgbirdsey
{]-[0{0|307 (Developer)
{]-[0{0|307 (Developer)

Post by bgbirdsey »

Walls are mostly protected by impassible barriers, but I am not in favor of unnecessary choke points. If there is no reason to prevent someone from getting over a wall, then there is no reason to make it impossible.

For instance, there is no reasonable way to control the height of the lying carpet. Squerkle also implemented a flying machine, how are you going to control the flying height of that?
Zefz
Squirrel Knight (Administrator)

Post by Zefz »

Sweet :)

Yeah, the infinite jump thing might function as a flying ability where you can control how high you want to fly. The Vampyre playable class was supposed to have wings and fly when you repeatedly tap the jump button.
bgbirdsey
{]-[0{0|307 (Developer)
{]-[0{0|307 (Developer)

Post by bgbirdsey »

My idea was that you hit the jump button once to get into flying mode, and exit flying mode when you bump into the mesh or into a platform.

While in flying mode the controls are interpreted so that the "forward" becomes "up" and "backward" becomes down, and the jump button means accelerate.

We could definitely go back to the paradigm of "jump means flap your wings," but that doesn't work so good for planes and the like.
bgbirdsey
{]-[0{0|307 (Developer)
{]-[0{0|307 (Developer)

Post by bgbirdsey »

One step closer.
bgbirdsey
{]-[0{0|307 (Developer)
{]-[0{0|307 (Developer)

Post by bgbirdsey »

Another step closer.
bgbirdsey
{]-[0{0|307 (Developer)
{]-[0{0|307 (Developer)

Post by bgbirdsey »

I think I might be quite close to uploading the new system.

I am currently play-testing, and I need to make sure that flying platforms are still working and other things like that. Also, the collision strength needs to be tweaked since the collisions are all just being counted once :D

I think I am close to perfecting the airplane-like flying for infinite jumpers. It is hard to test since I set it up to work in the Adventurer dungeon, which is too small.... duh!
Zefz

Post by Zefz »

Nice. Is this new physics system stable or do we again need to delay an update for let's say... um, a year? :P
bgbirdsey
{]-[0{0|307 (Developer)
{]-[0{0|307 (Developer)

Post by bgbirdsey »

I don't know. I think it should solve the majority of the existing physics problems.
Zefz

Post by Zefz »

Sweet. I hope it fixes the issues with the particles (particle spawn on end, particle sound effects). Can't create and test new content as long that one doesn't work.