EGOBOO -- Another editor

The development of the game itself or new resources for it. Any new stuff you're working on would go here, as well as the discussion of in-development stuff.

Moderator: Developers

woodmouse
Monolich (Senior Member)
Monolich (Senior Member)

Post by woodmouse »

bitnapper wrote:Questions about spawn file
- What are the 'unknown' slots for (because objects ar loaded by name if Slot-No=-1)?
- Have 'unknown' slots to be displayed ?
- Should the editor write back a slot no of -1, when the saving a file ?
Those are items. They're important to be 1 2 3 4, etc, as far I know.
Once upon a time, when unicorns roamed the earth...
Zefz
Squirrel Knight (Administrator)

Post by Zefz »

Yes slots from 0 to 35 are reserved for players and their inventories. Unknown could also mean EgoMap didn't find the object the slot number was assigned to when the spawn file got saved.

They are supposed to be

Code: Select all

PLAYER#:
LEFT:
RIGHT:
INVENTORY:
INVENTORY:
INVENTORY:
INVENTORY:
INVENTORY:
INVENTORY:
for each player, where # is replaced with the player number.
bitnapper
Tome Mimic (Module Baker)

Post by bitnapper »

Some more Questions
- Are the slots assigned automatically to the player(s) or have they to be written into the spawn file ?
- Are the 'PLAYER#' always needed or are only the slots to be written to file which are needed ?
- Have the 'PLAYER'-Slots to be at the start of the spawn file ?
- Is the name 'PLAYER#' a fixed expression for Egoboo to know that the spawned object is a playable character ?
- Can the 'PLAYER#' be replaced by an imported one if import is allowed ?

I think its unnecessary to write unused or empty slots into the spawn file. It's only needed to reserve them for the editor to display it for filling in items, if needed.

I think, a single player module needs only the 'PLAYER1'-Slot to be written to the spawn file.

Work planned
- Take the MENU.TXT File as starting point how to handle the rest
- Adding the dialog for 'New Map'.
Two beer or not two beer... rather a malt whisky
Zefz

Post by Zefz »

bitnapper wrote: - Are the slots assigned automatically to the player(s) or have they to be written into the spawn file ?
They are assigned automatically.
bitnapper wrote: - Are the 'PLAYER#' always needed or are only the slots to be written to file which are needed ?
Only the slots that are needed.
bitnapper wrote: - Have the 'PLAYER'-Slots to be at the start of the spawn file ?
No.
bitnapper wrote: - Is the name 'PLAYER#' a fixed expression for Egoboo to know that the spawned object is a playable character ?
No, only the specific slot numbers (0, 9, 18, 24) defines which ones are a player.

bitnapper wrote: - Can the 'PLAYER#' be replaced by an imported one if import is allowed ?
This is possible, but it's not good. It could cause problems and therefore Egoboo spits out a warning message if this happens. Dynamic slot numbers will never use the reserved player slots (0-35)
bitnapper

Post by bitnapper »

More questions
- If a new map is created, how do you tell the editor where you want to create a start point for the player ? Is that defined by the slot number ?
- Are these slot numbes correct for the player 0, 9, 18, 27 ?
- And the slots for all othe objects are -1 ?
- Is there a list of all actual IDSZ's available ?

I want to do set these values by the editor, so the user doesn't have to know the things about the slot numbers, depending on the start menu (Number of players allowed for module).

Work planned
- Choose kind of Quest in the 'New map'-Menu
- Add IDSZ to menu file
Zefz

Post by Zefz »

bitnapper wrote: - If a new map is created, how do you tell the editor where you want to create a start point for the player ? Is that defined by the slot number ?
Yes, slot 0 for example defines where player 1 should be spawned.
bitnapper wrote: - Are these slot numbes correct for the player 0, 9, 18, 27 ?
Yes.
bitnapper wrote: - And the slots for all othe objects are -1 ?
-1 means I don't care what the slot number is, let Egoboo decide. The only time you would want specific slot numbers is for special scripts that spawn through slot numbers. At some point I should allow scripts to spawn through strings (like spawn "lumpkin.obj" since we support strings now), this would allow us to step away from slot numbers altogether.
bitnapper wrote: - Is there a list of all actual IDSZ's available ?
A IDSZ is any 4 letter combination inside two brackes. So from [AAAA] to [ZZZZ] is valid. Egoboo transforms this 4 letter id string to an unique integer.
Cimeries
Lumberjack (Developer)
Lumberjack (Developer)

Re: EGOBOO -- Another editor

Post by Cimeries »

Is there any way to get a recent copy without using the SVN? I don't have it set up on my new computer yet and I can't be arsed to do it if it can be avoided. :P

I'd appreciate if someone could zip me a copy of the folder.
:wink:
Zefz

Post by Zefz »

Cimeries
Lumberjack (Developer)
Lumberjack (Developer)

Post by Cimeries »

That's the game itself, but that's just as well, I found what I needed in SVN directory.
I kind of forgot that you can access the SVN from a web browser, hehe.

I'll fiddle around with all that stuff when I get the time, I want to make something for Egoboo again, It's about damn time I did. At the very least I'll help test the new editor and give some feedback.
:wink:
bitnapper

Post by bitnapper »

@Zefz:
Question
- There is a value or a string following the IDSZ in the 'menu.txt' file. Is this always the case ?
- Has the Editor to control what the user adds after the IDSZ ?
Zefz

Post by Zefz »

I take it you are referring to this one

Required reference IDSZ : [MAIN] 7
This is the quest or module IDSZ that is required to unlock this module. It will scan the players quest log files if they have the appropriate quests beaten for the module to be unlocked (it will be hidden if not). In the example above the module requires MAIN quest at least level 7 to be unlocked.

In some cases a module is unlocked globally through beating a specific module (starter modules for example). Egoboo will the scan the reference module for any IDSZ that the module requires to be unlocked.

This module will only be unlocked if the ash palace is beaten:

Reference Directory :palash.mod
Required reference IDSZ :[BEAT]
bitnapper

Post by bitnapper »

Thanks for the info

Question
- Do you want the editor to write the strings before the colons which describe what's on this list ?

I think, in the long run, if the editor is well usable, it's not needed, that this data is written to file. We could write some thing like 'This file is generated by the editor, only edit by hand if you know what you ar doing'.
Maybe there cold be removed some 'safety' checks, if the editor and the main game work together well.

Work done
- Data is loaded from 'menu.txt', if level is 'Load'-ed
- Date from 'menu.txt' is displayed in a dialog box. The 'Tools' menu is adjusted accordingly :D

Work planned
- Test of code for writing text files
- Activate editing of passages and spawn points
- Editing of the main data in 'menu.txt'
- Loading of game objects for display: Icons
- Display 'names' of spawn points in 3D-Screen
- Clean up code for editing tiles

@Cimeries
I'm curious about your first feedback
Zefz

Post by Zefz »

It would be nice if you still kept those strings describing what each line does. This allows for manual editing.
Zefz

Post by Zefz »

I was thinking of something. You know Egoboo has different tile flags (reflection, impassable, wall, etc.) for each tile. Currently Egoboo has no way of differing between slopes (which use SLIPPY) and icy ground (which also use SLIPPY).

It would be interesting if we changed the current WALL into a slope flag and turned the SLIPPY flag into a icy flag. This means that WALL would be passable, but you would slide off it. Particles are always allowed to move through WALL tiles (like before, allowing shooting arrows through gates which are both WALL and IMPASSABLE).

This way we can easily define slopes and walls the player can fall off or (climb up if he is fast enough/jumps high enough) while also defining places that are simply impossible to reach or go through (impassable).

For the editor I don't think there would be any difference except some GUI change (like flag description or whatever).

Also when we are on the tile flag topic, don't add the "tile drawn first" stuff that EgoMap had. It seems to be deprecated and is no longer used.
woodmouse
Monolich (Senior Member)
Monolich (Senior Member)

Post by woodmouse »

It'd be awesome if flags could be like dragged or however it's said, the same way that textures, etc are.
Once upon a time, when unicorns roamed the earth...