Sand palace, elf starter and other issues.

Help regarding development/scripting, troubleshooting or just general gameplay -- anything that hasn't already been answered in the Wiki or pinned FAQs.

Moderator: Developers

Should I write less, providing waht's the most important only, without explenation of what I already did and how that would spare others more questions?

Poll ended at Thu Aug 13, 2009 7:13 am

Yes, write less
40%
It's okay, at least all necessary info is there
60%

Total votes: 5

Vaim
Acid Blob (New member)
Acid Blob (New member)

Sand palace, elf starter and other issues.

Post by Vaim »

Hello everyone, long time no see. 'Long time no see' as I recall being member of this forum long, long time ago but now I don't even recall my nickname then. So please, keep your cookies, lightbulbs or whatever other emoticon you have for yourselves, I still should have mine somewhere :P

Anyway, last time I was posting it was about an issue which despite all help couldn't be solved and made it impossible for me to turn on the game. Believing it will sort itself out eventually, I've waited and lo and behold - it did. Although, unfortunately there are still some problems (I post in Help forum as I am not sure whether those are bugs or just my own fault somewhere).

So, after this longy introduction, let's get to business:

Sand Palace: Through the most of that module, everything goes fine - I've got through the troll, killed some trench-guys etc. And I am stuck at a puzzle by the front door to the boss. Yes, I've seen the solution two rooms away yet it doesn't seem to work. Tried to walk only on blue-dotted tiles. No effect, and I am sure (after countless retries) that I didn't walk on any other tile. So, maybe I didn't remember it the right way - I try to walk on only other tiles. No effect. First blue, then the rest? No effect. First other ones then blue? Nope.

Door are still closed. I am sure game 'takes-in' me walking on tiles because of that specific 'bunp' sound of tiles activating. Yet the only reaction I get is 'Wrong' when I step on all tiles. Otherwise, even if I'll do full pattern (and walk it several times to make sure) it still waits for me to do something else. What I am missing?

Second issue: Elf starter. I confess that I was only trying that to unlock one of those semi-secret characters and I've succeed but why not complete whole starter? Well, here problem arise.

I've freed fairies from the rock, talked with sheeps, defeated zombor and.. no mushroom circle anywhere. And I mean, anywhere. I walked around the map about 16 times, checking under every tree and jumping onto every stump texture for no apparent reason other than me slowly losing last bits of sanity. All mosquitos, crabs and cobols are dead. All tents taken down as well. And there's that strange loud buzzing that shown up when I've seen mosquitos first and didn't want to stop (that's almost surely a glitch). Yet, no mushroom patch.

If it's any worth I also would like to confirm other players' report of models getting slightly messed up - at least as far as coins (which are now nearly invisible, and only half of every one of them peeks above the surface) are concerned.

And slight suggestion - someone should power up the light given by torch - it's really weak. Actually, even magic missile gives off more light.

Well, that would be all for now. My Egoboo version: 2.7.4. Have a nice day.
Zefz
Squirrel Knight (Administrator)
Squirrel Knight (Administrator)

Post by Zefz »

Your problem in the Sand Palace could be the Textures problem. It is fixed in the next release.

The mushroom ring is located north-west of the fortress. You have to make the faeries follow you there. There was a bug that could cause the faeries to follow something else than the player, that one is also fixed in the next release. Zombor should unlock even if you did not defeat the rest of the Elf Starter.
Vaim
Acid Blob (New member)
Acid Blob (New member)

Post by Vaim »

Zefz wrote:Your problem in the Sand Palace could be the Textures problem. It is fixed in the next release.

Oh well. Several years passed since I found out that the game is being developed again, then a couple of months before I could play it, now I can wait a bit more to continue adventure. Thanks for info.

EDIT: I've recalled you were posting some 2shared-hosted thing for someone else who had a problem with Sand Palace. I've downloaded it and it seems it fixes my problem as well. So, thanks again.

Zefz wrote:The mushroom ring is located north-west of the fortress. You have to make the faeries follow you there.

Yup, the problem was that there wasn't any mushroom ring visible. But I've restarted a game and tried again - this time it was where I am quite convinced I couldn't find it before. Maybe indeed I was half-blind (playing games around midnight after a long day rules) or maybe it was one-time glitch.

Zefz wrote:Zombor should unlock even if you did not defeat the rest of the Elf Starter.

It did, no problem here.
penguinflyer2222
Queen Penguin (Senior Member)

Re: Sand palace, elf starter and other issues.

Post by penguinflyer2222 »

Vaim wrote:Hello everyone, long time no see. 'Long time no see' as I recall being member of this forum long, long time ago but now I don't even recall my nickname then. So please, keep your cookies, lightbulbs or whatever other emoticon you have for yourselves, I still should have mine somewhere :P

How would you if some of these things people never gave out back then? :P
Well... um, welcome back and I'm glad your problem got solved. *keeps lightbulb to self*
Cimeries
Lumberjack (Developer)
Lumberjack (Developer)

Post by Cimeries »

I'm fairly certain that you've yet received a happy fencer with an electric anvil on his head. :teach:
:wink:
Maxaxle
Darkshine Knight (Extremist fanatic)

Post by Maxaxle »

tl;dr

Please write less! Or at least put explanations in "[ spoiler]" and "[ /spoiler]".
(but with no spaces between the "[" and the "s")
"Failing to plan is planning to fail."
Bug me if you want to play a game.
penguinflyer2222

Post by penguinflyer2222 »

I vote against Maxaxle.
Shade
Potion Mimic (Senior Member)
Potion Mimic (Senior Member)

Post by Shade »

penguinflyer2222 wrote:I vote against Maxaxle.

So do I.
bgbirdsey
{]-[0{0|307 (Developer)
{]-[0{0|307 (Developer)

Post by bgbirdsey »

You could use some formatting, like making the "Sand Palace:" and "second issue:" in bold and putting the sub points in a list, like this:

Hello everyone, long time no see. 'Long time no see' as I recall being member of this forum long, long time ago but now I don't even recall my nickname then. So please, keep your cookies, lightbulbs or whatever other emoticon you have for yourselves, I still should have mine somewhere :P

Anyway, last time I was posting it was about an issue which despite all help couldn't be solved and made it impossible for me to turn on the game. Believing it will sort itself out eventually, I've waited and lo and behold - it did. Although, unfortunately there are still some problems (I post in Help forum as I am not sure whether those are bugs or just my own fault somewhere).

So, after this longy introduction, let's get to business:

Sand Palace: Through the most of that module, everything goes fine - I've got through the troll, killed some trench-guys etc. And I am stuck at a puzzle by the front door to the boss. Yes, I've seen the solution two rooms away yet it doesn't seem to work. Tried to walk only on blue-dotted tiles. No effect, and I am sure (after countless retries) that I didn't walk on any other tile. So, maybe I didn't remember it the right way - I try to walk on only other tiles. No effect. First blue, then the rest? No effect. First other ones then blue? Nope.

Door are still closed. I am sure game 'takes-in' me walking on tiles because of that specific 'bunp' sound of tiles activating. Yet the only reaction I get is 'Wrong' when I step on all tiles. Otherwise, even if I'll do full pattern (and walk it several times to make sure) it still waits for me to do something else. What I am missing?

Second issue: Elf starter. I confess that I was only trying that to unlock one of those semi-secret characters and I've succeed but why not complete whole starter? Well, here problem arise.

I've freed fairies from the rock, talked with sheeps, defeated zombor and.. no mushroom circle anywhere. And I mean, anywhere. I walked around the map about 16 times, checking under every tree and jumping onto every stump texture for no apparent reason other than me slowly losing last bits of sanity. All mosquitos, crabs and cobols are dead. All tents taken down as well. And there's that strange loud buzzing that shown up when I've seen mosquitos first and didn't want to stop (that's almost surely a glitch). Yet, no mushroom patch.

If it's any worth I also would like to confirm other players' report of models getting slightly messed up - at least as far as coins (which are now nearly invisible, and only half of every one of them peeks above the surface) are concerned.

And slight suggestion - someone should power up the light given by torch - it's really weak. Actually, even magic missile gives off more light.

Well, that would be all for now. My Egoboo version: 2.7.4. Have a nice day.

That is a lot more readable without changing any of the text, and it will keep Maxaxle off your back! :P
Maxaxle

Post by Maxaxle »

Okay, I can live with that. It's not as bad as a wall of neverending text.

EDIT: re:your cookies: Aren't they rotten by now?
"Failing to plan is planning to fail."
Bug me if you want to play a game.
General Public
Acid Blob (New member)
Acid Blob (New member)

Re: Sand palace, elf starter and other issues.

Post by General Public »

I came up with a fix for this problem with the Sand Palace puzzle being impossible to beat in version 2.7.4 (the last version which runs on my computer without crashing on startup):

I have succeeded in editing the Sand Palace module puzzle's script so that instead of being an impossible puzzle that the player always loses, it's an easy puzzle that you just win by stepping on all of the tiles at least once, and now the Sand Palace is beatable. I have tried it out and it works and I beat the Sand Palace in 2.7.4 using it. Here is the code to use for the file "modules\palsand.mod\objects\puzzle.obj\script.txt" in version 2.7.4 to make the puzzle always end in victory so the Sand Palace is finally beatable in 2.7.4:

[spoiler="modules\palsand.mod\objects\puzzle.obj\script.txt" for version 2.7.4 to make Sand Palace beatable]

Code: Select all

// Parent spawner state
IfTimeOut
  // See if the board need to be cleared
  GetContent
  tmpx = tmpargument
  tmpy = 0
  IfXIsEqualToY
    tmpargument = 1
    SetContent

// Reset the board...
    tmpx = 21 < 7
    tmpy = 35 < 7
    tmpargument = 187
    SetTileXY
    tmpx = tmpx + 128
    SetTileXY
    tmpx = tmpx + 128
    SetTileXY
    tmpx = tmpx + 128
    SetTileXY

tmpx = 21 < 7
    tmpy = tmpy + 128
    tmpargument = 187
    SetTileXY
    tmpx = tmpx + 128
    SetTileXY
    tmpx = tmpx + 128
    SetTileXY
    tmpx = tmpx + 128
    SetTileXY

tmpx = 21 < 7
    tmpy = tmpy + 128
    tmpargument = 187
    SetTileXY
    tmpx = tmpx + 128
    SetTileXY
    tmpx = tmpx + 128
    SetTileXY
    tmpx = tmpx + 128
    SetTileXY

tmpx = 21 < 7
    tmpy = tmpy + 128
    tmpargument = 187
    SetTileXY
    tmpx = tmpx + 128
    SetTileXY
    tmpx = tmpx + 128
    SetTileXY
    tmpx = tmpx + 128
    SetTileXY

tmpargument = 3
  SetTime

SetTargetToNearestEnemy

IfTargetIsAPlayer
    // See if the target is on the ground
    tmpx = targetaltitude
    tmpy = 20
    IfXIsLessThanY
      // See if the target is in the play area
      tmpx = targetx
      tmpy = 21 < 7
      IfXIsMoreThanY
        tmpy = 25 < 7
        IfXIsLessThanY
          tmpy = targety
          tmpx = 35 < 7
          IfYIsMoreThanX
            tmpx = 39 < 7
            IfYIsLessThanX
              // See if the target is standing in the center
              tmpx = targetx - 32 & 64
              tmpy = 0
              IfXIsEqualToY
                tmpx = targety - 32 & 64
                IfXIsEqualToY
                  // Change a tile
                  tmpx = targetx
                  tmpy = targety
                  GetTileXY
                  tmpx = tmpargument
                  tmpy = 187
                  IfXIsEqualToY
                    GetContent
                    tmpargument = tmpargument & 1 + 188
                    tmpx = targetx
                    tmpy = targety
                    SetTileXY

// Remember which ones have are Red
                    tmpx = tmpargument & 1
                    tmpy = 0
                    IfXIsEqualToY
                      tmpx = targetx > 7 - 21
                      tmpy = targety > 7 - 35 < 2
                      tmpx = tmpx + tmpy
                      tmpturn = 1 < tmpx
                      tmpargument = 0
                      GetXY
                      tmpx = tmpx + tmpturn
                      SetXY

// Increase the count
                    GetContent
                    tmpargument = tmpargument + 1
                    SetContent
                    tmpx = tmpargument
                    tmpy = 17
                    IfXIsEqualToY
                      // We are done...
                      tmpargument = 0
                      GetXY
                      tmpy = 38505
                      tmpx = tmpy // ADDED TO ENSURE VICTORY EVERY TIME
                      IfXIsEqualToY
                        // The player won...
                        tmpargument = 0
                        SendMessageNear

// Play the "found a secret" sound
                        tmpargument = 2
                        tmpdistance = 11025
                        PlaySound

// Open a master passage
                        tmpargument = passage
                        OpenPassage
                        GoPoof
                      Else
                        // The player lost...
                        tmpargument = rand & 3 + 1
                        SendMessageNear

// Play the buzzer sound
                        tmpargument = 1
                        tmpdistance = 10000
                        PlaySound

// Start it over in a second
                        tmpargument = 0
                        SetContent
                        tmpx = 0
                        SetXY
                        tmpargument = 50
                        SetTime
                    Else
                      // Play the button press sound
                      tmpargument = 0
                      tmpdistance = 11025
                      PlaySound

End					// Finished with this character
[/spoiler]

The only difference in the code is one line of code added, which says "tmpx = tmpy // ADDED TO ENSURE VICTORY EVERY TIME". So it only took one line of code to fix it. Anyway, use the above code to replace the file "modules\palsand.mod\objects\puzzle.obj\script.txt" if, like me, you play version 2.7.4, and you won't have any more trouble with the puzzle in the Sand Palace. With the above code, all you have to do is step on each tile of the puzzle at least once and then the puzzle is solved and the door opens. It doesn't matter what order you step on the tiles or anything like that, with the above code.

Of course, if you use a different version than 2.7.4, you probably won't have this bug, so this fix will be unnecessary, and it might not be compatible with other versions besides 2.7.4. If you understand the code, and the one line that I added, and where it goes in the code, you should be able to do this in any version of the game that has the Sand Palace puzzle, which will make the puzzle quite easy to beat, just step on each tile once and it's beaten. But the point of this is if you are playing a version like 2.7.4 where the puzzle is broken and it's impossible to beat even if you do everything right, without using a workaround like this.