Game FAQ

Help regarding development/scripting, troubleshooting or just general gameplay -- anything that hasn't already been answered in the Wiki or pinned FAQs.

Moderator: Developers

Zefz
Squirrel Knight (Administrator)
Squirrel Knight (Administrator)

Game FAQ

Post by Zefz »

Egoboo Game FAQ

Try to download newest versions of your graphic card drivers. Change graphical or input settings, often many graphical issues or control problems can be fixed there.

You should also look in the Bug forum, since there you can see if your problem is a game bug thats know of but not yet fixed.

If your problem isn't answered here, post your problem below and we will try to help you. Please add which version of Egoboo you use.

Be sure you download the newest version of Egoboo, since it may fix some of your problems and the manual included may answer most of your questions.

A simple search check in these forums and flipping through the game manual may also answer most of your questions.

Question: How do I save my game?
Solution: You need to finish the module you're playing first. Once you get the "VICTORY! PRESS ESCAPE" message, leaving the module via Esc will automatically save your progress. Leaving it beforehand won't be saved unless it's a town.

Question: How do I play multiplayer?
Solution: The only multiplayer currently supported is Hotseat. This means every player sits behind the same computer using different controllers (keyboard, mouse or joysticks).

Question: Can I use my characters from previous versions in the next Egoboo release?
Solution: Yes, Egoboo is designed to be backward compatible so old save games should work in newer versions of Egoboo. Just copy the save games located in the players folder. Note that there might be changes to class skills and abilities in newer versions that your old character might miss!

Question: What hardware requirements does Egoboo have?
Solution: The only "requirement" is that your video card driver supports OpenGL commands up to version 1.4 (which is quite ancient). Higher RAM will make the game run smoother and faster. Egoboo runs fine on a 1.99 GHz processor and 512 MB ram.

Question: What is this mysterious Egoboo SVN version everyone is talking about and how do I get it?
Solution: Read this - http://egoboo.sourceforge.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=397

Question: The problem is, whatever module I choose, my character immediately starts walking up and to the left quickly. When down and right are held down he moves really slowly, and there's no way at all to get him to just stand still.
Solution: Plug out the gamepad/joystick or whatever other input device that might be interfering.

Question: I use Linux and have a Intel card. No characters appear on the screen (invisible).
Solution: This is a issue that was fixed in Egoboo 2.7.3 when SDL_image was implemented. Try updating to the latest version of Egoboo.

Question: Log.txt says SCRIPT ERROR FOUND: modules/XXXX.mod/objects/XXXX.obj/script.txt (XX) - XXXXXX undefined
Solution: This is a significant error. It means that the script is using a keyword that the compiler does not understand and so the behavior fo the script is undefined. If you did not edit the script yourself, please report this error so that we can fix it for the next release.

Question: Log.txt says SCRIPT ERROR FOUND: modules/catacomb1.mod/objects/XXXXXX.obj/script.txt (82) - XX odd number of spaces
Solution: It means that the number of spaces in the script is an odd number. Normally, Egoboo would just round this down to the smaller even number and call it a day. After looking at the scripts, this is really NEVER a good idea, hence the warning.

Question: Log.txt says WARN: Sound file not correctly loaded (Not found?).
Solution: It means that the script/object definition file specifies a sound that is not in the XX.obj directory. This is an error, but it will not break the game.

Question: Log.txt says WARN: All sound channels are currently in use. Sound is NOT playing.
Solution: It means that all available sound channels are being used for sounds and that the computer will can't allocate another channel to play the sound. There were some changes to the sound code that semi-permanently allocate sound channels for some sounds that are always on (like the mosquito's drone). This may be contributing to the problems.

Question: What is the difference between the Development and Stable versions of the game?
Solution: The Development (SVN) version can be unstable and is in a more beta stage in many aspects than the stable version. The development version introduces many new features, levels and objects but also a lot more bugs that are yet to be fixed.

Question: What are the controls for this game!?
Solution:You can easily change the controls in the input settings using the game menu.

Code: Select all

Arrow Keys: Move
Space: Jump
5, 6 Change camera view
 +,-: Zoom in/out
T: Use your left hand
Z: Use your right hand
G: Grab/Drop with your left hand
H: Grab/Drop with your right hand
B: Put something into/ take something out of your inventory (left hand)
N: Put something into/ take something out of your inventory (right hand)

Question: Egoboo doesn't start! (It gives a error message when I start: This application failed to start because application configuration is incorrect.)
Solution: Try reinstalling the game.

Question: Egoboo doesn't start! (And I use Vista)
Solution: Run Egoboo.exe in WINDOWS 98 compatibility mode.

Question: Egoboo has serious graphical issues and I have a VIA Unichrome graphics card.
Solution: For some reason VIA Unichrome gfx cards don't work under Egoboo. Egoboo has been proved to work smoothly under gfx cards that are over 4 years old so the problem is probably with the gfx driver support.

Question: The "Load Game" menu doesn't do anything!
Solution: 1. Make sure you have player characters in your player folder (That you haven't deleted them all, it is standard that Egoboo always installs with one in the game). 2. Make sure that you have a controller for a player selected when you go to the select module menu.

Question: How do I make network/multiplayer/internet play work?!
Solution: You can't. The newest version of Egoboo does not support any type of multiplayer. It's on the to-do list, so maybe it will become available again in a later version. Hotseat play is supported after version 2.7.3 though...

Question: I cant see the objects in the game!
Solution: See this website http://hargisjerry.tripod.com/solution.htm

Question: How do you pronounce G'nome? (Taken from SoulFu website)
Answer: Guh-Nome, of course.
Last edited by Zefz on Wed Dec 22, 2010 8:06 pm, edited 6 times in total.
penguinflyer5234
Sheep (Developer)
Sheep (Developer)

Re: Game FAQ

Post by penguinflyer5234 »

Zefz wrote:Question: I cant see the objects in the game!
Solution: See this website http://hargisjerry.tripod.com/solution.htm

For Linux users and users that have Intel graphic cards:
For some reason you cannot see the objects, that is a known bug.
Please use 2.7.5. (not 2.7.7! It is very slow in Linux)
HyugaNeji
Chest Mimic (Community member)

Post by HyugaNeji »

Can I put in Mouse mode, the Movement Option? Eg:

Mouse
=====
Jump : KEY_PAD_0
Left Hand Use : KEY_PAD_4
Left Hand Get/Drop : KEY_PAD_1
Left Hand Inventory : KEY_PAD_7
Right Hand Use : KEY_PAD_5
Right Hand Get/Drop : KEY_PAD_2
Right Hand Inventory : KEY_PAD_8
Camera Control Mode : MOS_RIGHT
Up : KEY_UP
Down : KEY_DOWN
Left : KEY_LEFT
Right : KEY_RIGHT
Cimeries
Lumberjack (Developer)
Lumberjack (Developer)

Post by Cimeries »

Yes.
Mouse mode is simply the definition for the second player.

Just make sure that both the keyboard and the mouse controls don't use the same buttons.
:wink:
HyugaNeji

Post by HyugaNeji »

oh and Chainsaw...... where did u get those little chars?...... ( I just want to know the Game's name, it seems cool)
Cimeries
Lumberjack (Developer)
Lumberjack (Developer)

Post by Cimeries »

It's from Final Fantasy 6, for the SNES.
:wink:
PurpleSquerkle
Massive Gelfeet (Developer)

Post by PurpleSquerkle »

HyugaNeji wrote:oh and Chainsaw...... where did u get those little chars?...... ( I just want to know the Game's name, it seems cool)

It is indeed a cool game (FF6, like Chainsaw said)!
It's also been remade for the GBA.

Oh, and by the way, there's a whole topic for the discussion of signatures in the off-topic section of the forum.
penguinflyer2222
Queen Penguin (Senior Member)

Post by penguinflyer2222 »

More specifically, the Welcome part.
Now what happens to all this offtopic stuff?
Does it get deleted or split or what?
PurpleSquerkle

Post by PurpleSquerkle »

Oh, wait, I liked. It's not the off topic section after all. Welcome section.
Whatever.
kettlechip

Re: Game FAQ

Post by kettlechip »

Zefz wrote:Egoboo Game FAQ

Question: The "Load Game" menu only displays starter modules!
Solution: 1. Make sure you have player characters in your player folder (That you haven't deleted them all, it is standard that Egoboo always installs with one in the game). 2. Make sure that you have a controller for a player selected when you go to the select module menu.

explain number 2 please. I'm having that problem
BACK
penguinflyer5234
Sheep (Developer)
Sheep (Developer)

Number two only applies to versions 2.7.5 and up.
penguinflyer2222

Post by penguinflyer2222 »

Well, in some older versions, you would go select a player, and it would have little icons for joystick, keyboard, mouse.. and then select a module.
It could be that you didn't select a player controller.
I'm not sure how do could solve it, but..
What version do you have?
Check log.txt (in your egoboo folder) for errors.
kettlechip

Post by kettlechip »

I am using 2.6.8 (i just switched from .5b) do you have to redo everything everytime there is a new version or something? I transferred the characters and the only error i have is this
Object is missing an skin (modules\zippy.mod\objects\light.obj\)!
BACK
penguinflyer5234
Sheep (Developer)
Sheep (Developer)

That's not really an error, you can safely ignore it.
kettlechip

Post by kettlechip »

ok maby I'm making this too confusing what my problem is. I can only start at zippy city and sand palace. WHAT do i do. (I should have more places unlocked)
BACK