Anyone have a Windows compiled ver. of latest 2.6.x branch?

Help regarding development/scripting, troubleshooting or just general gameplay -- anything that hasn't already been answered in the Wiki or pinned FAQs.

Moderator: Developers

General Public
Acid Blob (New member)
Acid Blob (New member)

Anyone have a Windows compiled ver. of latest 2.6.x branch?

Post by General Public »

Hi, the 2.8.x and later don't work on my computer, they crash on startup, so I was wondering if the 2.6.x branch has been updated since version 2.7.4 and has any of the bugs present in 2.7.4 fixed. If so, is there a compiled binary version of the latest 2.6.x branch that I could download? I'd like a Windows version of it please. I don't have the proper Visual Studio compiler so could someone else please compile and upload the latest 2.6.x branch build for Windows for me so I (and others) could download and play it? I think a lot of people would like to play it, since there is a thread about people who can't play version 2.8.x or newer. And if there's a newer version than 2.7.4 on the 2.6.x branch that could be compiled, I think a lot of folks would want to play it, namely myself and everyone else who's had any problems with 2.8.x and newer.
penguinflyer5234
Sheep (Developer)
Sheep (Developer)

Re: Anyone have a Windows compiled ver. of latest 2.6.x bran

Post by penguinflyer5234 »

The latest version of the branch 2.6.x is calling itself 2.8.1 (line 55).

If you want I could compile an svn version of your choice. Just tell me which one :)
Shade
Potion Mimic (Senior Member)
Potion Mimic (Senior Member)

Post by Shade »

penguinflyer5234 wrote:If you want I could compile an svn version of your choice. Just tell me which one :)
If I may add my two cents, I'm willing to guess that the last SVN before the saved data was shifted out of Egoboo's own directory would work. No matter what people keep telling me, I'm absolutely convinced that this one change is what's causing all these problems.
General Public
Acid Blob (New member)
Acid Blob (New member)

Post by General Public »

That was one of the changes that happened, but another one was the switch from Visual C++ 2008 to Visual C++ 2010. And I'm also starting to suspect that it might have something to do with the use of OpenGL features not present in older video cards that have older versions of OpenGL. One of the bugs in version 2.7.4, a bug with the Sand Palace puzzle, apparently had to do with textures or shaders or something like that, and they put in a new version of that, in between version 2.7.4 and version 2.8.0. So it might be connected to that, since it might have been fixed using something that requires a newer version of OpenGL than Egoboo used to require. Of course, the thing about moving Egoboo's saved data out of the Egoboo directory into Application Data is also a very good candidate for where the crashing-on-startup bug for 2.8.x came from. But it is interesting to note that the crashing-on-startup bug with 2.8.x is something that happens on some people's computers EVERY TIME, and on other people's computers they NEVER get the bug, so obviously this bug has something to do with what kind of computer you have. My video card is an NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 4000, and it has OpenGL 1.5.7 according to the program Piriform Speccy, which can tell you a bunch of stuff about your computer including what version of OpenGL your video card has. Maybe we should do a survey and have people find out what OpenGL version they have and say whether or not Egoboo 2.8.x crashes on startup for them, we might find the problem that way. It did seem that most of the people with problems have Windows XP computers, which tend to be older than Windows Vista or Windows 7 computers, and therefore tend to have older graphics cards and thus would have older versions of OpenGL. Maybe THAT is the answer. Or maybe Shade is right and what caused problems was moving the user data to Application Data instead of being in the Egoboo directory itself. There are ways we can test it.

Anyway, my OpenGL version is 1.5.7 and Egoboo 2.8.x crashes on startup for me. If we got a bunch of people to find out their OpenGL version and whether or not Egoboo 2.8.x crashes on startup for them, and issue statements like that about their OpenGL version and whether or not they get the crash-on-startup bug, we might get to the bottom of what's going on here. If anyone with a brand new graphics card with a really high OpenGL version is getting this bug, or anyone with an old graphics card with an even older OpenGL version is NOT getting this bug, then obviously the bug is not OpenGL related and it's something else. But if everyone who has the bug has an OpenGL version below a certain number, and everyone without the bug has an OpenGL version above that same number, then right there, we would have the answer.