Game won't run

Help regarding development/scripting, troubleshooting or just general gameplay -- anything that hasn't already been answered in the Wiki or pinned FAQs.

Moderator: Developers

CptBlaino
Acid Blob (New member)
Acid Blob (New member)

Game won't run

Post by CptBlaino »

I am new to Egoboo. I ran it once, played around and then changed some settings. I think I set it to widescreen, upped the resolutuion, and then set it to fullscreen. After hitting accept or whatever, I no longer remember, I didn't see any changes so I quit the game to see if that would get them to work. Now i get the Fatal Error message "I can't get the SDL to set any video mode" and it crashes. I have tried uninstalling and then reinstalling and it still won't open a second time.

Any help would be great.

Thanks

*edit
Running Vista Home Premium
bgbirdsey
{]-[0{0|307 (Developer)
{]-[0{0|307 (Developer)

Post by bgbirdsey »

"I can't get the SDL to set any video mode"

This means that the video mode settings that you have in your setup.txt file. The working setup.txt file can be accessed through the "My Egoboo Stuff" link in your install folder.

The relevant settings are:

Code: Select all

{GRAPHIC}
[MIPMAP_HIGH_QUALITY] : "FALSE"
[COLOR_DEPTH] : "24"
[Z_DEPTH] : "24"
[FULLSCREEN] : "FALSE"
[SCREENSIZE_X] : "800"
[SCREENSIZE_Y] : "600"
[PERSPECTIVE_CORRECT] : "TRUE"
[TEXTURE_FILTERING] : "2_TRILINEAR"
[GOURAUD_SHADING] : "FALSE"
[ANTIALIASING] : "2"
[DITHERING] : "FALSE"
One of these settings is incompatible with your video card. It is most likely that it is either [Z_DEPTH] (8,16,24,32), [TEXTURE_FILTERING] (0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7), [COLOR_DEPTH] (24,32), SCREENSIZE_ (whatever your card supports), [FULLSCREEN] (try "FALSE" for debugging, since there are definite limits for valid fullscreen video modes).
CptBlaino
Acid Blob (New member)
Acid Blob (New member)

Post by CptBlaino »

Thanks, got it
bgbirdsey
{]-[0{0|307 (Developer)
{]-[0{0|307 (Developer)

Post by bgbirdsey »

Please let us know what settings work for you. It helps us determine what the default settings should be.
Zefz
Squirrel Knight (Administrator)

Post by Zefz »

Birdsey, could you not make Egoboo default to 800x600 whenever SDL gets that error?

"I can't get the SDL to set any video mode, next time you start egoboo it will default to 800x600 again."
bgbirdsey
{]-[0{0|307 (Developer)
{]-[0{0|307 (Developer)

Post by bgbirdsey »

Unless he posts what the error was it is difficult to say whether it was a screen resolution problem. The only possible way for him to have had problem (as reported) would be if the default settings did not work, or he edited the setup.txt file with invalid parameters before ever starting the game.

CptBlaino, please report back with the settings that worked for you.
AileTheAlien
Acid Blob (New member)
Acid Blob (New member)

Post by AileTheAlien »

Having (possibly) the same problem:
Crashes with SDL error, although it worked fine the first time.
(I had sound, graphics, although I only was at the menu, so I don't know much else.)
Tried setting some stuff in setup.txt, annoyed by the fact that I need admin privileges. (I'm running Windows 7.)

This, however, tipped me off to something:
The game actually did not appear to modify setup.txt when I set the changes and restarted the game.
i.e. I set fullscreen, widemode, and upped the resolution, but when I opened up the file, it appeared to be all defaults.
At least, it was windowed, and default resolution.
So, perhaps the game is not asking for privileges when writing game files?
I assume Microsoft hasn't made it *easy* to program something that asks for permission on file writes, etc. :/

Anyways, fiddling with setup.txt appears to be having no effect.
Still crashes with the SDL error.
Is there a lowest-common-denominator set of settings I could try?
Also, restarting Windows and reinstalling also both have no effect.
Any log files to upload?

Really want to try this game out, since it sounds like a lot of new content has been added since the last time I played.
Thanks!
Zefz

Post by Zefz »

Whoa Aile! Long time! :P I remember you back from the zippy times.

There are 2 versions of setup.txt

The first can be found in your egoboo folder... this is just a template used by Egoboo to generate the real setup.txt

If you open the "My Egoboo Stuff" link you will find the real setup.txt you are looking for.
AileTheAlien
Acid Blob (New member)
Acid Blob (New member)

Post by AileTheAlien »

Woo! Working now - definitely a fullscreen resolution thing.
Thanks for remembering, btw!

Minor point:
Could the setup.txt in the main folder be renamed "setup.txt.default" or something?
Perhaps with a comment at the top explaining that this isn't the one actually used by the game at runtime?
(Would need to delete that one line/comment, but that's easy to do when you're already modifying the file.)

Anyways, totally testing out the game now!
Agent of Dread
Protector (Senior Member)
Protector (Senior Member)

Post by Agent of Dread »

Yeah, I remember. You did the scimitar model and some gems, unless I am mistaken. You were on the NetHack wiki too if I am not mistaken!
- Linktree: linktr.ee/trilbs -
Zefz

Post by Zefz »

Birdsey and me are figuring out how to handle the setup and control files. I think we will be moving them to a different folder maybe. If not your suggestion sounds simple enough.
Toadie
Acid Blob (New member)
Acid Blob (New member)

Game crashes !

Post by Toadie »

Hey, I played this game long time ago. Today I downloaded it again, but i have a problems with lunching game !!! First time game was working properly, but i wanted to change some setting to my predispositions. I changed screen to wide, choosen like 1400+/880+ parameters for resolution. I restarted game to complete settings.
Everythink was great , but i changed somethink again to fullscreen, when i restarted again game wont start anymore!!!!
I am trying unistalling , reinstalling , everythink possible but I cant find problem. Alltime says "FATAL ERRROR: I can't get SDL to set any video mode". .... I had seen you solved someones other same problem, but here it doesnt works. I am using Windows XP, Service Pack 3 [and i dont know what more you need]
Please help me ^^ :roll:
Zefz

Post by Zefz »

Open the "My Egoboo Stuff" link and delete setup.txt

This will reset your video settings to default.
vanillared
Acid Blob (New member)
Acid Blob (New member)

Game won't run

Post by vanillared »

FYI

If you are using Windows 7 then it is harder to find the true setup file. You will have to look in:

C:\Users\UserAccount\AppData\Roaming\egoboo
Toadie
Acid Blob (New member)
Acid Blob (New member)

Post by Toadie »

I have problem with open "my egoboo stuff" , when I select taht file it's making grey and unable to open , it is some like empty .