Another magic shop

Have an idea or great plots for Egoboo? Post them here!

Moderator: Developers

Do we need another magic shop?

Yes, it would be necessary
25%
It could be kind of useful
63%
No way! The existing magic shops are enough
13%
No one needs any kind of spell shop
No votes

Total votes: 8

Zefz
Squirrel Knight (Administrator)
Squirrel Knight (Administrator)

Post by Zefz »

Instead of nerfing or modifying existing spells, one should make new low level spells and keep the existing high level ones?
bgbirdsey
{]-[0{0|307 (Developer)
{]-[0{0|307 (Developer)

Post by bgbirdsey »

Clonkinator wrote:If I'm not allowed to argue against your deciscions, just say so and I will no longer bother with it.

Passive aggressive much?

If you would offer some specific idea of how to handle the problem I would be more than happy to listen to it.

If you notice I did not respond to, say, octagon the way I responded to you. In fact, I think octagon is just about the perfect example of someone who is positively adding to the community.

Just examine his/her posts relative to yours and you might see the difference.

Clonkinator wrote:I was merely arguing against simply copy-pasting spells, changing a few parameters about them and call it a day, which you seemed to be very happy with.

This is not what I'm advocating at all. What I am advocating is using nerfed high level spells as placeholders for future spells. Once they are in place, they can be modded and morphed until they are something completely different and unique. The other alternative is for someone to come up with a spell set that has no accidental resemblance to any of the advanced spells.
octagon
Darkshine Knight (Extremist fanatic)

Post by octagon »

bgbirdsey wrote:If you notice I did not respond to, say, octagon the way I responded to you. In fact, I think octagon is just about the perfect example of someone who is positively adding to the community.

Really? :oops: thank you very much...
Shade
Potion Mimic (Senior Member)
Potion Mimic (Senior Member)

Post by Shade »

bgbirdsey wrote:
Clonkinator wrote:If I'm not allowed to argue against your deciscions, just say so and I will no longer bother with it.

Passive aggressive much?

I was growing pissed because you keep throwing the "this point is irrelevant" card at me instead of actually responding to my arguments whenever I argue with you, so excuse me if I'm being "aggressive".

bgbirdsey wrote:If you would offer some specific idea of how to handle the problem I would be more than happy to listen to it.

If you notice I did not respond to, say, octagon the way I responded to you. In fact, I think octagon is just about the perfect example of someone who is positively adding to the community.

Just examine his/her posts relative to yours and you might see the difference.

I know very well myself what is contructive and what is not, thank you very much.
Also, as I already said, I don't really see where the problem is; thus, proposing solutions to a problem that does not exist from my point of view (this being a lack of arcane spells) is rather difficult.
As far as I know, your original point was that the "variety of spells is inverted", which I proposed a very simple solution for: we could simply switch some of the spells available in Zippy with some of the spells formerly available in Bishopia, so that there are less high-level spells accessible early on in the game. You never responded to this.
You also suddenly brought up the point that we need more low-level spells than high-level spells, which I do not agree with. Low-level spells may be usable by pretty much any arcane magic user, but that doesn't automatically mean they need the same range of different spells as high-level magic users get to use; in fact, it is actually pretty rewarding if some of the better effects (like Haste or Teleport) remain high-level only to reward high-level magic users for actually reaching as high of a level, and not just putting them off with slightly stronger versions of spells they already had access to. Rewarding the player for advancing in the game is a good thing. Creating nerfed versions of the high-level spells so low-level magic users get to use them as well removes this kind of reward and isn't necessary at all.
In fact, I think the balance of low-level and high-level spells we currently have isn't half-bad. As such, new spells should also introduce new effects. Of course adding a few more Morph spells that add variety is also fine, for example, but on the other hand, we do not need a morph for every single creature in the game; this also applies to the other spells. I hope you get the point.

bgbirdsey wrote:
Clonkinator wrote:I was merely arguing against simply copy-pasting spells, changing a few parameters about them and call it a day, which you seemed to be very happy with.

This is not what I'm advocating at all. What I am advocating is using nerfed high level spells as placeholders for future spells. Once they are in place, they can be modded and morphed until they are something completely different and unique. The other alternative is for someone to come up with a spell set that has no accidental resemblance to any of the advanced spells.

Unless I completely missed it, you did not clearly say at any point that you were just going to use those spells as placeholders. In this case, I'm fine with this kind of solution, even though I still don't see the problem in the first place.
bgbirdsey
{]-[0{0|307 (Developer)
{]-[0{0|307 (Developer)

Post by bgbirdsey »

Clonkinator wrote:I know very well myself what is con[s]tructive and what is not, thank you very much.

Please do this rather than ranting and making excessive critical comments about other's ideas.

If you notice, no one made critical comments about your idea of switching the spells around. All Zefz did was point out what actual spells are and where they are.

Clonkinator wrote:Unless I completely missed it, you did not clearly say at any point that you were just going to use those spells as placeholders. In this case, I'm fine with this kind of solution, even though I still don't see the problem in the first place.

I don't have to say that they are placeholders because it is the nature of an open source project for people to modify and improve all aspects of the game. It is apparent from context.
octagon

Post by octagon »

Egoboo is free, so we essentially have all time in the world to come up with new spells.
Not if I am around and enervate you until you create those spells. :teach: