Another magic shop

Have an idea or great plots for Egoboo? Post them here!

Moderator: Developers

Do we need another magic shop?

Yes, it would be necessary
25%
It could be kind of useful
63%
No way! The existing magic shops are enough
13%
No one needs any kind of spell shop
No votes

Total votes: 8

octagon
Darkshine Knight (Extremist fanatic)

Another magic shop

Post by octagon »

I think it is very nasty that you can't get many spells outside of a dungeon until you made much progress in the storyline and access Bishopia. Of course it wouldn't be very great if you can complete the Elf Starter, loot everthing valuable, sell it, buy the Orb Storm Spell and fry everthing hostile in the Sand Palace with a single casting, but some other medium spells like Burning Hands should be available in shops at a rather early point.
What about "teh Magick Mansion" located in the Great Plains, the home of Zafrugini (suggest another name if you want), a rather excentric wizard known for his spell shop as well as for his absurd orthography? There could be some sidequests in various modules to access the better spellbooks he is offering. For instance, you could have to find his pen (it's in his own house; he's rather shortsighted) or bring back his cat that is straying through Zippy (and it runs away if it notices you) or find a rare plant for him. If you fulfill one of his sidequests, he gives you the access to another room where you can buy some other spells.
I thought more about useful, but before Bishopia unaccessible spells like Burning Hands, Shock, Disenchant, Identify and so on. And what about a low-level Ice spell? He could sell some wands and potions, too.
Last edited by octagon on Tue Mar 23, 2010 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zefz
Squirrel Knight (Administrator)

Post by Zefz »

Have you tried the spell ship in Zippy Town?
octagon

Post by octagon »

Yes, yes.. I know that one, but for my personal flavour the amount of spells available there is a bit... well, limited. There are no really affordable attack spells there except of the Missile... and the Fireball is expensive and not suitable for e. g. Adventurers because they are not good enough at magic.
Shade
Potion Mimic (Senior Member)

Post by Shade »

@octagon: Fireball is expensive because it's pretty powerful. In the hands of a wizard or an elf, it can be pretty devastating. The drawback is that it's nearly useless if your enemy gets too close to you and is faster than you, so the elf probably is the better user of it. However, fireball is easily one of the best spells you can possibly get for both the Sand Palace and the Ice Palace.
The adventurer, on the other hand, is better off with spells that don't require much of a magic flow to work; especially support spells like fairy light, enchant weapon, protect etc. However, if you really want an attack spell for your adventurer, try missile, or storm if you're at about level 5 or so. Storm is pretty damn awesome, and to my knowledge, it's accessible in Zippy as well.

All in all, I don't think we really deperately need a new spell shop; however, my knowledge may be outdated since I haven't been able to play Egoboo for almost a year now.
Zefz

Post by Zefz »

I think there was a revision to the spell shops in both Zippy and Bishopia in the upcoming 2.8.0 version.

If we added a new spell shop, the most sense would be have one in the Elven town Great Wood (where we could also add a longbow shop).
octagon

Post by octagon »

I also prefer using the elf and I know why the Fireball is expensive (with my Lvl 4 Elf, I petrified the Troll with a single hit), and the thing isn't that I want stronger spells, but I think it would be more interesting and it would also improve gameplay if the variety of accessible spells is increased.
@ Zefz: I agree that the idea is very good to have that spell shop at Great Woods instead.
bgbirdsey
{]-[0{0|307 (Developer)
{]-[0{0|307 (Developer)

Post by bgbirdsey »

Yeah, it does seem that the variety of spells is inverted.

If this was "real life" I would expect that there would be a wider variety of low level spells than higher level spells. Maybe we could work out a way to make dumbed down versions of some of the advanced spells?
octagon

Post by octagon »

Yes, nerfed versions of high-level spells sound like a good idea.
Orb storm->Trickling Globes
Meteor->Shootingstar
The Unseen->The Hardly Seen
Death Cloud->Quasi-Lethal Cloudlet
Like that?
Zefz

Post by Zefz »

We have some lesser attack spells, but they are mostly located in Bishopia I think. Burning Hands, Shock, Ice Ray, Size, etc.
octagon

Post by octagon »

Yes, I thought about those to be located in the new spell shop.
Shade

Post by Shade »

We can also always just switch some of the spells in Zippy with some spells from Bishopia, so that the lesser spells would be accessible in Zippy, and the better ones in Bishopia. It doesn't really make sense the other way around anyway, especially considering that the Bishopia spell shop is led by the legendary Zambini (so you'd expect some really awesome spells there) while the Zippy spell shop is just led by a random necromancer.
Of course, if our selection of spells increases (which is always a good thing as long as the new spells are well done), a third spell shop probably becomes more necessary.
penguinflyer2222
Queen Penguin (Senior Member)
Queen Penguin (Senior Member)

Post by penguinflyer2222 »

Orb storm-> Sphere Shower
Meteor->Burning Hail
The Unseen->I forget what this does so
Death Cloud->Zombie Fart :rofl:

Anyway I don't think we really need another one too much but in the Great Wood it would make sense to have one.
octagon

Post by octagon »

Sphere Shower! xD
What about "Hectic" for Haste, "Anger" for Berserk and "Slightly Resizing" for Giant? or a "Morph: Grub bug" spell?
By the way, "The Unseen" is an invisibility spell.
Shade

Post by Shade »

I don't think making simply watered-down versions of all the good spells is a good idea; I'd find it pretty superflous to have two different spells that pretty much do exactly the same, just with a different intensity. This ain't Final Fantasy where you need -ara, -aga and -aja variants of every spell no matter how little sense it makes on that particular spell.
octagon

Post by octagon »

I came up with those "nerf versions" just for fun. When thinking about birdsey's idea, the question came to m mind how those harmless versions could be named, nothing more. I also think that the variety is completely different spells at Egoboo is a very good thing - balancing-wise and atmospherically seen. But "Sphere Shower" has a certain flavor, hasn't it?[edit]Fixed horrible vocabulary mistake[/edit]
Last edited by octagon on Sat Dec 11, 2010 1:21 am, edited 1 time in total.