Character personalisation

Have an idea or great plots for Egoboo? Post them here!

Moderator: Developers

What do you think about it?

nice idea
71%
we don't need that
29%

Total votes: 14

xenom[GER]
Tome Mimic (Module Baker)

Character personalisation

Post by xenom[GER] »

Hi @ all,

here is another idea how to improve Egoboo: customized character!

What does this mean?
When you pick the start module, you get a screen showing the character model. In this screen it's possible to customize your character (different hair styles, hair color, armor colors, ...). This could also be done if you drop a barber somewhere in a town ;-)

How could this be implemented?
Create several, layered skins for each character. So you have several hair skins (different colors / hair styles), different armor colors, different faces, ...

Why do we need this?
There is no actual benefit of this modification. It just makes everyones player more unique ;-)

What do you think about that suggestion?
/me is back!
ModBaker development thread | [url=http://modbaker_blog.tobiasgall.de]ModBaker dev blog[/url]
Maxaxle
Darkshine Knight (Extremist fanatic)

Post by Maxaxle »

Could make for some really interesting characters. I say it's at least worth a shot.
"Failing to plan is planning to fail."
Bug me if you want to play a game.
penguinflyer2222
Queen Penguin (Senior Member)
Queen Penguin (Senior Member)

Post by penguinflyer2222 »

I say yes/no. Yes because of the interesting characters.. no because it doesn't fit in all too well, a bit hard to do.. besides it's just easy to edit your character's skin anyway.
Zefz
Squirrel Knight (Administrator)
Squirrel Knight (Administrator)

Post by Zefz »

It does sound like a lot of work to do!

The first step we could do for implementing character customization is the ability so specify your own name for your character.
Cimeries
Lumberjack (Developer)
Lumberjack (Developer)

Post by Cimeries »

Personally I like it the way it is. Every "class" in an actual person that you play as, and not just an archetype.
:wink:
PurpleSquerkle
Massive Gelfeet (Developer)
Massive Gelfeet (Developer)

Post by PurpleSquerkle »

Cimeries wrote:Personally I like it the way it is. Every "class" in an actual person that you play as, and not just an archetype.

Yes.
Customized characters are nice, but they wouldn't really fit Egoboo.
xenom[GER]

Post by xenom[GER] »

Yeah, with that reason it doesn't really fit into Egoboo. Selecting the name would be nice though.
/me is back!
ModBaker development thread | [url=http://modbaker_blog.tobiasgall.de]ModBaker dev blog[/url]
bgbirdsey
{]-[0{0|307 (Developer)
{]-[0{0|307 (Developer)

Post by bgbirdsey »

The first step we could do for implementing character customization is the ability so specify your own name for your character.

Having played lots of online games, I can say that allowing people to type in the name of their character often takes away from the immersion of the game. It is a bit weird to go around and see characters in a fantasy game named scoobiedoobiedoo, and cartmansmomisabigfat$%^&. Much less the typical names on the forum with numbers attached ;)

I think the better way to go would be to allow a "nickname" for the character that could literally be anything. So, you would have Lelom "Chainsaw" the elf, or Waggle "Bob Loblah" the G'Nome.

The nickname could actually be used as the display name, but the character would be saved using the "actual" name (which would eliminate the problem of detecting invalid characters in a filename), and the actual name would be displayed in the character selection screen as Waggle "Bob Loblah" the level blah G'Nome.

I'm sure there could also be something done with the nickname as far as whether the AI you are talking to knows your name or something.
Vaim
Acid Blob (New member)
Acid Blob (New member)

Post by Vaim »

Just my little, humble opinion. Food for thought, so to speak:

Cimeries wrote:Personally I like it the way it is. Every "class" in an actual person that you play as, and not just an archetype.

But I don't see a problem with that person looking the way that would fit player's taste more.

bgbirdsey wrote:Having played lots of online games, I can say that allowing people to type in the name of their character often takes away from the immersion of the game. It is a bit weird to go around and see characters in a fantasy game named scoobiedoobiedoo, and cartmansmomisabigfat$%^&. Much less the typical names on the forum with numbers attached .

The thing is that Egoboo is mostly single-player game (for now) so the name that character will have will always only add to the immersion or at least will bring satisfaction more important than such immersion. After all, if player would think that such name is bad, he wouldn't choose it.

Not to mention the fact that if someone really wants to change the name, he will do that anyway. Till Egoboo didn't become some sort of MMO with enforced roleplaying (or else), I see no problems with strange names, even if I don't like such thing in online games as well (among many others that turned RPG into exp-grind-and-slash).

I would be all for customized characters if not one problem: amount of work. There simply is a lot of more important things to do. If there would be additional skins and support for skins made of different pieces, it would have to be done by someone who has nothing else to do and doesn't want to do anything else. And it's not like Egoboo community has too much of a work-force.

Edit: small mistake in quoting.
Last edited by Vaim on Mon Aug 10, 2009 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
xenom[GER]

Post by xenom[GER] »

Vaim wrote:Just my little, humble opinion. Food for thought, so to speak:

But I don't see a problem with that person looking the way that would fit player's taste more.

The only problem I see is the title image for the module.
/me is back!
Cimeries
Lumberjack (Developer)
Lumberjack (Developer)

Post by Cimeries »

Vaim wrote:But I don't see a problem with that person looking the way that would fit player's taste more.

I suppose you have a point there, but as you said, too much work. And Hardly worth it IMHO.
Vaim wrote:
Cimeries wrote:Having played lots of online games, I can say that allowing people to type in the name of their character often takes away from the immersion of the game. It is a bit weird to go around and see characters in a fantasy game named scoobiedoobiedoo, and cartmansmomisabigfat$%^&. Much less the typical names on the forum with numbers attached .

(I never actually said this, Birdsey did.)
:wink:
Vaim
Acid Blob (New member)
Acid Blob (New member)

Post by Vaim »

Then it's really small problem as one can easily assume it's just to portrait typical character of such class. It doesn't mean that it's the only adventurer/soldier/wizard etc that may exist out there or that every representative of that class looks exactly like that, including things like hair-color (legions of kingdom's soldiers and every one of them the same.. Clone Troopers of fantasy world).

Cimeries wrote:And Hardly worth it IMHO.

Yup, but I want to point it should be completely okay (only) if someone would like to spend time and effort exactly on this thing here. One day, in the future, when 'core' game will be ready.. that would be a nice thing to have.

Cimeries wrote:(I never actually said this, Birdsey did.)

You're right, my bad (copy-pasted quote command without changing nickname). Should be okay now.
woodmouse
Monolich (Senior Member)
Monolich (Senior Member)

Post by woodmouse »

PurpleSquerkle wrote:

Yes.
Customized characters are nice, but they wouldn't really fit Egoboo.

:agree:
I agree 100 % in this.

@Cimeries: You should chat!
Once upon a time, when unicorns roamed the earth...
Maxaxle

Post by Maxaxle »

I think the nickname idea would be perfect for multiplayer, if we even get that far.
[spoiler="offtopic"]Best case scenario for testing how well multiplayer would work would be for someone with as much experience/skill/etc. as Zefz to work with anyone else on it, testing and building up the multiplayer client/server stuff.[/spoiler]
"Failing to plan is planning to fail."
Bug me if you want to play a game.
asierbanks
Acid Blob (New member)
Acid Blob (New member)

Post by asierbanks »

I like that.... U should Do it