Bodies

Have an idea or great plots for Egoboo? Post them here!

Moderator: Developers

PurpleSquerkle
Massive Gelfeet (Developer)
Massive Gelfeet (Developer)

Bodies

Post by PurpleSquerkle »

I was just playing Egoboo multiplayer for the first time since who knows when with my brother (it was really fun :) ). Unsurprisingly, we discovered some bugs related to picking up bodies. We also had some ideas on what else could be done with them:

1. If you put another player in your inventory, you shoot up into the sky like a rocket. It's pretty comical actually. :D
2. Sometimes bodies can be swung (doing nothing of course) but at other times they say "%n can't use this item"; that should probably be fixed since it's not actually an item. We should probably arrange so that they are not usable by anyone, and have them send a message like "it's a dead %c".
3. Larger bodies should not be grabbable. Medium-sized bodies shouldn't fit in the inventory. I'm going to guess that going from one module to another with a dead body in your hand or inventory is going to cause some problems, too... Would it come alive again? I guess I don't know how the system works exactly.
4. Bodies should be able to be thrown as weapons... with attack power and range depending on the weight of the body against the thrower's strength.
5. This one was my brother's idea; he was wondering if it was like this already: Bodies should be able to be used as shields. So they should still be able to take damage even after they're dead (when they're in your hand, anyway), so that you can use them to block attacks. They'd probably have a chance of falling out of your hand when that happens though (with the chance being higher depending on the damage that's being done to the body).
6. Bodies should slow you down, obviously. You can still move pretty quickly when carrying a Lumpkin's corpse; that shouldn't be the case.
bgbirdsey
{]-[0{0|307 (Developer)
{]-[0{0|307 (Developer)

Post by bgbirdsey »

Interesting

1 you should not be able to put them in your inventory now, unless they are labelled as items already
2 you will have to be able to "use" it to do any real kind of alchemy with it, I think. Maybe the message could be changed, though. "What can you do with a dead %c?"
3) there is a limit on this having to do with the character strength, the weight of the other body. There should also be a bulkiness thing that relates your size to the size of the object.
4) good idea. Of course this would mean that the default "use" operation would be to be thrown?
5) I had an idea bout this. There are life points and body points. Only physical attacks and fire do damage to body. If body points go to zero, the body turns inf mist or a fountain of blud and disappears? ...?
6) maybe all weight carrying should slow you down

7) you should be able to place dead bodies on switches. We could have some switch puzzles that can only be done by placing heavy items on buttons?
Agent of Dread
Protector (Senior Member)

Post by Agent of Dread »

Woah, picking up bodies? 0_o
Anyhow, jealousy brimming.
- Linktree: linktr.ee/trilbs -
Zefz
Squirrel Knight (Administrator)

Post by Zefz »

Only allow characters with [BODY] expansion to be grabbed when killed (we dont want every dead monster grabbable. Giant scorpion for example.

Holding down the attack button should throw bodies. Tapping would send the message.
bgbirdsey
{]-[0{0|307 (Developer)
{]-[0{0|307 (Developer)

Post by bgbirdsey »

pwe dont want every dead monster grabbable

I disagree. I think you want every single object that is not a scenery object (like a smokestack) to be grabable.

In *real life*, what keeps you from being able to pick something up? weight and size.
Can that be implemented in game? yes.

Artificially limiting what can be picked up just leads to frustration for players and designers.
Maxaxle
Darkshine Knight (Extremist fanatic)

Post by Maxaxle »

I think I did something like that with the FrogSpell and, whenever I dropped a person I had earlier turned into a frog, after a module change, they would walk towards the corner and keep walking that way. I say we limit picking up bodies to small creatures, possibly enabling the revival of pets after death...
"Failing to plan is planning to fail."
Bug me if you want to play a game.
Zefz

Post by Zefz »

Pets can already be revived via a Rebirth scroll. Same with mounts.

And if you read birdsey's post, you will see that bodies will be limited by their size and weight according to the grabber's size and strength. (Big strong stuff can carry big heavy stuff).

But you could indeed now grab your dead pet and put it into your inventory and go to town and buy a scroll to revive it.

But what happens if you export a player with a dead player in it's inventory?
penguinflyer5234
Sheep (Developer)
Sheep (Developer)

Re: Bodies

Post by penguinflyer5234 »

PurpleSquerkle wrote:I'm going to guess that going from one module to another with a dead body in your hand or inventory is going to cause some problems, too... Would it come alive again? I guess I don't know how the system works exactly.

I tried it with Meena in the Forgotten Fortress going to Bishopia City, but I had no Meena when I got there.
Maxaxle

Post by Maxaxle »

Zefz wrote:But what happens if you export a player with a dead player in it's inventory?

They stay dead until they respawn or are revived. Perhaps by Zippy's healer...Also, stuff affected by the FrogSpell turns back to its original form upon death (though I never tried poisoning someone and then picking them up so they die in my hand...).
penguinflyer2222
Queen Penguin (Senior Member)

Post by penguinflyer2222 »

I think he means what does happen, not what should, but I dunno.
bgbirdsey
{]-[0{0|307 (Developer)
{]-[0{0|307 (Developer)

Post by bgbirdsey »

I tried it with Meena in the Forgotten Fortress going to Bishopia City, but I had no Meena when I got there.

I doubt Meena can be exported from the module. She would probably respawn as alive, anyway. Given how inventory items are added to your inventory on spawning, she should just spawn next to you anyway.
Maxaxle

Post by Maxaxle »

penguinflyer2222 wrote:I think he means what does happen, not what should, but I dunno.

I wrote what should happen, sorry.

Also, I got a new idea: Considering the fact that the Giant Scorpion seems to "drop" its claws and tail, maybe stronger players could pick them up and use them as weapons! Stuff like that.
Agent of Dread

Post by Agent of Dread »

Mega bump? 0_o
Anyhow, that sounds cool, but high strength only.
- Linktree: linktr.ee/trilbs -
penguinflyer2222

Post by penguinflyer2222 »

The last post was a month ago, but I guess since he kinda contributed, with the new idea, I think that's ok. :?

Yeah, if they have very high strength.
octagon

Post by octagon »

I also got a few ideas what to do with bodies.
-It's said in the trogs descriptions that they like grub bugs. So there could somehow be a small chance to make a trog your ally when giving a dead grub bug to him.
- Some bodies should be sellable in shops - that should only affect those either considered to be edible (like crabs or sheep) or containing something rare or useful (like the Cobra's skin and poisin teeth)
-Paladins shouldn't be able to collect something as squicky as corpses- except of fallen allies to revive them.
-Necromancers should maybe get a morbid ability to use corpses in a special way.
-Lumpkins should be able to disembowel dead animals or to just eat them. It just fits them to chew on half-rotten bats.